Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:19 PM

42 posts, read 112,886 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a move to Manhasset and I wanted to get some insight into what the area is like? My wife and I love the area, but we also have 2 kids (ages 4&2) that we need to consider as well. We are Jewish but I don't need to live in an area with an overwhelmingly Jewish population (in fact I prefer not to). I do however want to make sure that we are not the only ones and that there is some level of a Jewish population there. I grew up in Suffolk and had always heard that Manhasset had no Jewish population. We currently live in the city and want to make sure we do our due diligence before we go house hunting. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 01:27 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp00 View Post
My family is considering a move to Manhasset and I wanted to get some insight into what the area is like? My wife and I love the area, but we also have 2 kids (ages 4&2) that we need to consider as well. We are Jewish but I don't need to live in an area with an overwhelmingly Jewish population (in fact I prefer not to). I do however want to make sure that we are not the only ones and that there is some level of a Jewish population there. I grew up in Suffolk and had always heard that Manhasset had no Jewish population. We currently live in the city and want to make sure we do our due diligence before we go house hunting. Thanks
There's not a huge population there, but you won't be the only ones...

Old 08-14-2010, 02:15 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
There's not a huge population there, but you won't be the only ones...

It's nowhere near the size of Great Neck or Roslyn but there is a Jewish community in Manhasset. Plenty of them shop at the Americana.

i

Old 08-14-2010, 01:31 PM

42 posts, read 112,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
It's nowhere near the size of Great Neck or Roslyn but there is a Jewish community in Manhasset. Plenty of them shop at the Americana.

i
Thanks for the replies. We aren't interested in Roslyn or Great Neck even though I know they have a large Jewish community, but we just want to make sure there is a comfort level in Manhasset in regards to the Jewish population.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:30 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Manhasset in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County

The geography of Manhasset can be very confusing because Manhasset is one of those villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of places with the community name in their mailing address (4,424 acres) are not in the hamlet (1,592 acres).

A map of the Hamlet of Manhasset in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County:

Places that have a "Manhasset, NY 11030" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Manhasset are in the Village of Plandome Manor, the Village of Plandome, the Village of Plandome Heights, the Village of Munsey Park, the Village of Flower Hill, the Village of North Hills and the Village of Thomaston.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:23 PM

147 posts, read 543,811 times
My friends in Great Neck and Roslyn tell me they have a problem with the Jews because they are so insular and only hang out amongst themselves. Since Manhasset has a smaller population of Jews and if you assimilate with the rest of the community then there should not be a problem

Old 08-21-2010, 01:17 PM

487 posts, read 1,364,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post

i
or the Whole Foods right across the street, i highly doubt the "Jews to Great Neck and Christians to Manhasset" kind of steering is still taking place

Old 08-21-2010, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,982 times
Its a pretty decent size Jewish community and a beautiful place to live.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:24 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassbin View Post
or the Whole Foods right across the street, i highly doubt the "Jews to Great Neck and Christians to Manhasset" kind of steering is still taking place

Does anyone remember when that was a Bonwit Teller? What happened to all the upscale department stores on the Miracle Mile? Only Lord and Taylor is still around. Neiman's and Saks should consider opening branches on the mile, neither one has an outlet in Nassau.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,681 times
I am not Jewish but know Manhasset well and though I believe it is still a majority of Christians, I know there are more jewish people moving into the neighborhood for the excellent school system and express trains to NY. I think you will find it an idyllic place to raise a young family, and as Lond Island is such a melting pot- I doubt that you would find any sense of "segregation", this is one place where many cultures and religious groups happily coexist. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island