Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:15 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I agree Grand Ave is looking dumpy but I was talking about one area in Baldwin that's all. Where in my post did I mention Baldwin as a whole?

BTW what's so bad about Jamaican own establishments? I like goat rotis.

Sinced you lived there you would know this. What is the name of that deli on the eastside of Grand it's in the shopping center just north of McDonald's they have great salads? Thanks!

Ah Ferrings matter of fact my friend's father use to own the store that is now the Jamaican Bakery next door. What was it before it became the Jamaican Bakery, player?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 09:40 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Wow! Is that really how you see it? A person getting paid $10 an hour already putting 50% of his income on rent should look forward to chain restaurants, his LL charging him an addede 20% to his rent and the option of moving to a worse place or be homeless. If he fights against this he will be accused of discrimination against the middle class.

BTW, when was having Starbucks, Panera bread or any other chain a parameter to a higher quality of living?

In the end I do see good points to your debate but I know you are very set in your thinking and can't see two POV, so let's just agree to disagree.
Uck, I despise Starbucks!@ and don't see the value in it at all. I usually go to DD or a local "boars head" deli or make it myself to get my coffee. I was not necessarily mentioning all chain stores as a good thing. It was more to illustrate that these above average chains like Panera/Chipotle even Whole Foods or family owned local stores (ie-hormone free, fresh food, low sodium etc) will not open up shop in ghettos vs what you find in most impoverished areas -- Taco Bell, Checkers, Burger king, cookie cutter Chinese joints that deep fry everything, KFC's etc..(high fat, microwaved, high sodium, preservatives, hormones added, cheap, grade D processed food that I wouldn't feed my dog).
That's what I meant by that. We still don't have a Whole Foods by us, hopefully there's one in the works. My grocery does have 2 aisles dedicated to organic foods and is looking like a mini whole foods, which you won't find at western beef or lower level supermarkets.

I do see both points of view. I personally witnessed and still see the opposite of gentrification (ie- urban decay/ghettofication) occurring in my old area and places where I have lots of family. So I know first hand the neglect/damage it can do to an area.

Ok to try to contribute to the OP on Baldwin Schools. It is imho very true that the high school vs middle schools/elementary schools are night n day. I haven't been there in a while but the area is better than hempstead/freeport/roosevelt. Definitely a livable area in some parts. Although some things you see will make you cringe.

Last edited by Pequaman; 11-05-2010 at 09:58 AM..

Old 11-05-2010, 09:56 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Ah Ferrings matter of fact my friend's father use to own the store that is now the Jamaican Bakery next door. What was it before it became the Jamaican Bakery, player?

Ferrings! That's it thanks. I love their salads and some of their soups. They had a good Italian wedding. Thinking of that name was driving me up the wall.

LOL! I don't remember the name of that deli. Why would I remember any other stores in that strip mall? I do remember everytime I visit my Aunt it seemed the name changed for the supermarket in that center.

Another place in Baldwin that had great food but is now gone was a chicken restaurant on the Southwest side of Sunrise hgwy near Grand ave. They were always crowded, what was the name of that place? How did they go out of business?

Old 11-05-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Uck, I despise Starbucks!@ and don't see the value in it at all. I usually go to DD or a local "boars head" deli or make it myself to get my coffee. I was not necessarily mentioning all chain stores as a good thing. It was more to illustrate that these above average chains like Panera/Chipotle even Whole Foods or family owned local stores (ie-hormone free, fresh food, low sodium etc) will not open up shop in ghettos vs what you find in most impoverished areas -- Taco Bell, Checkers, Burger king, cookie cutter Chinese joints that deep fry everything, KFC's etc..(high fat, high sodium, preservatives, hormones added, cheap, grade D processed food that I wouldn't feed my dog).
That's what I meant by that. We still don't have a Whole Foods by us, hopefully there's one in the works. My grocery does have 2 aisles dedicated to organic foods and is looking like a mini whole foods, which you won't find at western beef or lower level supermarkets.

I do see both points of view. I personally witnessed and still see the opposite of gentrification (ie- urban decay/ghettofication) occurring in my old area and places where I have lots of family. So I know first hand the neglect/damage it can do to an area.

Ok to try to contribute to the OP on Baldwin Schools. It is imho very true that the high school vs middle schools/elementary schools are night n day. I haven't been there in a while but the area is better than hempstead/freeport/roosevelt. Definitely a livable area in some parts. Although some things you see will make you cringe.

It's funny, I love green tea, hot or cold but it's hard to find in my GF'S Soundview neighborhood. I guess Latinos don't like it. LOL but I have no problem finding a greasy cuchifrito rest. or Spanish bakery in her neighborhood.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Ferrings! That's it thanks. I love their salads and some of their soups. They had a good Italian wedding. Thinking of that name was driving me up the wall.

LOL! I don't remember the name of that deli. Why would I remember any other stores in that strip mall? I do remember everytime I visit my Aunt it seemed the name changed for the supermarket in that center.

Another place in Baldwin that had great food but is now gone was a chicken restaurant on the Southwest side of Sunrise hgwy near Grand ave. They were always crowded, what was the name of that place? How did they go out of business?
Raay Nors cabin The ole big red eye-sore famous for it's fried chicken and ribs. Times were changing my friend and the owner thought he would be cashing in on the new clientele. But the price were to expensive, couldn't compete with the Wendy's, KFC, Popeyes' of the world.KFC's bucket for under 10 dollars fed a family of 5 and it was the stuff the grow up on...so the rest is history.

Sam came in an bought it and did extensive renovations and turn it into a Middle Eastern/ Mediterranean joint called Ayhan's Shisk Kebab. He owns a few around the Island. I saw him last week and say business is doing so well, so we'll see......

Last edited by BigMike50; 11-05-2010 at 10:50 AM..

Old 11-05-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Raay Nors cabin The ole big red eye-sore famous for it's fried chicken and ribs. Times were changing my friend and the owner thought he would be cashing in on the new clientele. But the price were to expensive, couldn't compete with the Wendy's, KFC, Popeyes' of the world. FFC bucket for under 10 dollars fed a family of 5 and it was the stuff the grow up on...so the rest is history.

Sam came in an bought it and did extensive renovations and turn it into a Middle Eastern/ Mediterranean joint called Ayhan's Shisk Kebab. He owns a few around the Island. I saw him last week and say business is doing so well, so we'll see......

Ahh! Raay Nors. The chicken was good but I agree it was very expensive. Only ate there once and wanted to go back and noticed the Shish Kebab place but didn't go in. Yep, Baldwin is changing. Sorry to hear your time was a negative one but my Aunt is still happy in Baldwin. She lives in the neighborhood bordering RVC near Long Beach rd. The neighborhood is nice with well kept homes. I just don't see much of a difference when she first moved there back in the 70's.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Ahh! Raay Nors. The chicken was good but I agree it was very expensive. Only ate there once and wanted to go back and noticed the Shish Kebab place but didn't go in. Yep, Baldwin is changing. Sorry to hear your time was a negative one but my Aunt is still happy in Baldwin. She lives in the neighborhood bordering RVC near Long Beach rd. The neighborhood is nice with well kept homes. I just don't see much of a difference when she first moved there back in the 70's.
See I could agree with you...... Yes where she lives it's kind of the same. I unfortunately lived a few houses in from Grand Ave. It seems like the cancer starts there and spreads from there. She then lives near Plaza school because a couple of block to the west it becomes RVC a good mile from Long Beach RD. Go east from her house not so good, west yes still good because your running into RVC. That's the skinny buddy

Old 11-07-2010, 12:00 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
See I could agree with you...... Yes where she lives it's kind of the same. I unfortunately lived a few houses in from Grand Ave. It seems like the cancer starts there and spreads from there. She then lives near Plaza school because a couple of block to the west it becomes RVC a good mile from Long Beach RD. Go east from her house not so good, west yes still good because your running into RVC. That's the skinny buddy
By Grand Ave, you almost can't tell the difference between that area of Baldwin and Hempstead. Except Baldwin has Gentlemens Quarters strip club and the Stead has "Taste of Honey"?

Old 11-07-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
By Grand Ave, you almost can't tell the difference between that area of Baldwin and Hempstead. Except Baldwin has Gentlemens Quarters strip club and the Stead has "Taste of Honey"?

LOL! My hometown has a strip joint on Motor pkwy. Smithtown has a real sleazy strip joint by the bull. Commack has several including a gay adult video store and I can go on and on. So what's your point about adult entertainment clubs on LI? Cut the nonsense.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:25 PM

113 posts, read 264,019 times
Thanks CR1080!! One thing I am NOT afraid of is people of different backgrounds, be it racial, religious, or other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island