Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 AM

840 posts, read 2,445,104 times

Advertisements

i have cablevision now, i.e., the devil you know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 02:53 AM

33 posts, read 120,120 times
Can't go wrong with Sea Cliff,one of the better places to live on Long Island.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:11 PM

175 posts, read 637,490 times
Hi kunk10, I'm sort of in the same predicament. I just put my house in the market, looking to move from Stewart Manor into western Garden City (not crazy about Sewanhaka, considered Floral Park but hate that there is no middle school, and I'm not into private schools). My daughter is 11 and I want to move her before she starts middle school. My son's in first grade so he would be starting second grade with all students who are new, since elementary kids go to different building starting in second grade. So I'm pulling the trigger. Almost got a house but was outbid by someone paying all cash (sigh). Good luck to you! I'll be interested in knowing how you make out. Curious why you don't like Carey? I was going to try for a transfer, but sounds too complicated and not guaranteed.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:56 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
One really cannot compare Sea Cliff and the superb schools and surroundings to many places in Nassau county.
Garden City is very nice but it borders on some marginal places. No gates there.
There is really not much to fear in Sea Cliff - your geographical neighbors will be Glen Head, Roslyn Harbor, Glenwood Landing, Greenvale and East Hills.
The school district is North Shore and IMO it is one of the best in Nassau!
Go for it and do not look back!
Quaint, pretty, diverse and convenient - really whats not to like?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default A map of the Village of Sea Cliff in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
... your geographical neighbors will be Glen Head, Roslyn Harbor, Glenwood Landing, Greenvale and East Hills.
Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Sea Cliff is bordered on the north by the City of Glen Cove; on the east by the Hamlet of Glen Head; on the south by the Hamlet of Glenwood Landing; and, on the west by Hempstead Harbor.

A map of the Village of Sea Cliff in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a3/Sea-cliff-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Unlike every other of the 293 communities (2 cities + 96 villages + 195 hamlets = 293 communities) in either Nassau or Suffolk Counties, the village (Sea Cliff) and the ZIP Code postal zone postal zone ("Sea Cliff, NY 11579") that use the same name, have the exact same border: every place in the Village of Sea Cliff has a "Sea Cliff, NY 11579" mailing address and every place with a "Sea Cliff, NY 11579" mailing address is in the Village of Sea Cliff. No other city, village or hamlet on Long Island can make this statement.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:09 PM

so, we will break even on our house or lose a bit but found 2 houses in sea cliff we like a lot and are going to be making an offer soon. fingers crossed...

Old 11-09-2010, 12:13 PM

not that I don't like Carey but I have not received one ringing endorsement. Opinions range from bad to not bad but none have said it's great. In general, we'd like more land and to be closer to the water. We like Garden City, too, but seemingly will get more house and space in Sea Cliff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsalex View Post
Hi kunk10, I'm sort of in the same predicament. I just put my house in the market, looking to move from Stewart Manor into western Garden City (not crazy about Sewanhaka, considered Floral Park but hate that there is no middle school, and I'm not into private schools). My daughter is 11 and I want to move her before she starts middle school. My son's in first grade so he would be starting second grade with all students who are new, since elementary kids go to different building starting in second grade. So I'm pulling the trigger. Almost got a house but was outbid by someone paying all cash (sigh). Good luck to you! I'll be interested in knowing how you make out. Curious why you don't like Carey? I was going to try for a transfer, but sounds too complicated and not guaranteed.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,305 times
I lived in Sea Cliff and sorry to say, I didn't drink as much Kool-Aid as my friends or former neighbors! The school district is not as great as Garden City, Syosset, Jericho, Herricks, Roslyn, or Great Neck for the budget that it has! class size increased and several teachers were laid off prior to the 2010-2011 school year; several more lay offs are expected for the 2011-2012 and an even larger class size. Furthermore, for the 2009-2010 school year North Shore's performance was so mediocre and poor on State assessments to the point where several school districts on the island including Glen Cove (gasp!!!!!) performed much better than NS overall. Sea Cliff is highly over-rated. Tight lots, little old houses with a little yard; and a big delusions over how much properties are really worth. I guess people get suckered into paying tens-of-thousands over what the houses are really worth and don't do research on zillow or the county website re: fair-market value. The foreclosure rate in Sea Cliff will continue to increase. Yes. Believe it or not there are at least 15 homes in Sea Cliff in foreclosure; that's a big number considering that SC is only one square mile.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:34 PM

good to hear another perspective, PMd you a question.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:43 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
The NS school district could afford to lay off teachers with a declining enrollment and tiny class sizes.

Not all homes in Sea Cliff have tiny yards. Get away from the water.. and the circa 1890 construction... homes are larger and so are the lots.

There are 14 lis pendens, not foreclosures in Sea Cliff. Nothing out of the ordinary in today's RE market. A house is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. I don't see much in the MLS which is too whacked price-wise.

I'd take a look at the school district's website. It is informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island