Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:13 AM

30 posts, read 64,196 times

Advertisements

So what's the deal..is LI infrastructure diminishing, or am I imagining this. It could be as I am clearly imaging how everything seems smaller on Long island thanbefore I left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,471 times
Yes, you are correct, we all shrunk...people, houses, and highways.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Yes, you are correct, we all shrunk...people, houses, and highways.
Of course you didnt shrink, surely you know I jest. Im just trying to get an accurate perspective on how much LIs road, and industrial complex has diminshed. Plus it's always funto come back and socialize with the locals.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,471 times
Roads didn't diminish..they simply are fuller.

Industrial complex...we had one..oh yeah, we did have Grumman at one time.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Roads didn't diminish..they simply are fuller.

Industrial complex...we had one..oh yeah, we did have Grumman at one time.

All those cracks in the roads, and extra grafitti must be a figment of my imagination. The MS 13 gangbangers that I saw walking on 110 in Huntington must have always been there too.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:29 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pragcap View Post
So what's the deal..is LI infrastructure diminishing, or am I imagining this. It could be as I am clearly imaging how everything seems smaller on Long island thanbefore I left.

It all depends on how long ago you moved and where you moved to.
I moved almost two years ago and could agree with you. When I first took a trip back I was only gone a few months , so you really don't "see" that many changes. Also in time you become more and more cognoscente with your new area and get use to your new surrounding. I was back on L.I. last week and you could really see the differences in the two areas. I'm use to no traffic, a slower pace of life, more room, newer homes, schools, a more modern infrastructure, less garbage, less people, friendlier people, less stress, less attitudes, people that actually stop at stop signs and cross walks, etc. The longer your away the more you'll see it

Last edited by BigMike50; 11-10-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,221 times
Now imagine leaving in 1984 and returning in 2007. HUGE difference.

Yet not all of it is bad. I'm in a newer apartment complex with good amenities, central air, washer/dryer in the unit. That was nearly unheard of 15 years ago. Then there's the AirTrain, which is an enormous stress-reliever for those who have to travel out of Kennedy. The trains are a lot nicer now than they were (although you still see some of the older trains in service), and double-deckers are fairly common. Bay Shore and Patchogue are on the upswing. Traffic is much better here than where I was. (Anyone who complains about the LIE should be forced to drive around the Beltway 50 times.) And although some like to complain that young people are leaving the Island in droves, that is nothing new and I rather like that most of the people I run into here are established, mature adults.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:17 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,879,879 times
In other news today (yes they reported this today), New York has the highest stress due to economic, health, and housing issues. Yet there are still tons of us here. Bless that big ole city over there.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:42 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
In other news today (yes they reported this today), New York has the highest stress due to economic, health, and housing issues. Yet there are still tons of us here. Bless that big ole city over there.
Alas, in news that will give the Apple-centric diehards a conniption, New York City has been deemed *gasp* [URL="http://www.santafe.edu/news/item/city-ranking-bettencourt/"]average[/URL].

Old 11-10-2010, 10:12 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,181 times
Well the island has gotten more crowded. The bulk of the middle class have left. What's left is an upper class elite and the day laborers they employ for stuff like landscaping. And since upper class ppl drive around in Range Rovers, they could care less about the shutdowns on buses and a commuter railroad that is falling apart at the seams.
The baby boomers have or are already leaving, and the wealthy will buy up those older homes in places like Hicksville and Westbury and stuff 20-30 guys in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island