Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,323 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,
I have a job offer of about $60K from a company in Long Island. Me and my wife (she does not work right now) are in our mid-twenties, and do not have an extravagant lifestyle. I have done some calculations for our monthly cost of living as follows. Please provide feedback on whether I am missing something or some costs need adjustment

Rent: 1650 - 1750 (for one/two bedroom)
Groceries: 600
Utilities: 150
Cellphone: 150
Internet/Cable: 100
Can Insurance (2005 honda civic): 100
Misc: 350

Comes out to about $3100 per month (company pays the health insurance for both of us)

For the rent, I looked at some communities around middle island, coram neighborhoods. Howz avalon pines?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help and feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 01:24 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
You could get a cheaper cell phone service.
What about fuel/repair costs for the car?
Transporation costs?

Old 12-09-2010, 01:25 PM

17 posts, read 40,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_to_LongI View Post
Hey Guys,
I have a job offer of about $60K from a company in Long Island. Me and my wife (she does not work right now) are in our mid-twenties, and do not have an extravagant lifestyle. I have done some calculations for our monthly cost of living as follows. Please provide feedback on whether I am missing something or some costs need adjustment

Comes out to about $3100 per month (company pays the health insurance for both of us)

For the rent, I looked at some communities around middle island, coram neighborhoods. Howz avalon pines?

Will you be renting a house or an apartment? Your answer may change your utility bill.

Avalon pines is a nice community, I had a friend living in the Coram one, however her rent was WAY more for a 2BR then you mentioned.

Do you plan on having TV? If you sign up with Cablevision you can have a phone/tv/internet package for about $100 a month for the 1st year then going to about $150 a month after that.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:38 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_to_LongI View Post
Hey Guys,

Only one car? Also, is that a LI rate? Our insurance rates are much higher than the national average here.

I think you need to find a way to get another 30K or so into your pocket to enjoy yourselves moving here, namely your wife working. No kids, I assume?

Old 12-09-2010, 02:24 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Federal and New York State income tax, and other payroll taxes?

Old 12-09-2010, 05:40 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Only one car? Also, is that a LI rate? Our insurance rates are much higher than the national average here.

I think you need to find a way to get another 30K or so into your pocket to enjoy yourselves moving here, namely your wife working. No kids, I assume?
yeah I don't know where you can get car insurance on LI for $100/mo.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:42 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I don't know how you can get around Long Island with one car. If you plan on taking the train to work and leaving your wife the car, you've left transportation out of your budget. And gas is pricey on LI.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:27 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
yeah I don't know where you can get car insurance on LI for $100/mo.
Depends.

How many drivers
Age of drivers
How many cars
What model(s) and age
Location where car is kept
Garaged?
Minimum coverage for everything?
Deductible amount (higher = lower premium)
Estimated miles driven/yr - work/recreational
Defensive driving courses
CREDIT SCORE

I have a client who pays a little over $700/6 mos for THREE cars, with two drivers and a Huntington address. An older Jag, a big 2005 Benz and an older Audi.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:46 PM

999 posts, read 2,358,167 times
You ARE out of your mind if you move here..... and im serious.

The people here vote for idiots and nothing gets better....

When researching area's to move to, pay close attention to voting practices...

Im telling you, you'll regret it, just like me.....

I moved here from queens to be closer to the motorsports facilities we had (4)...

HAD, long island used to HAVE.... ever hear of the misfit island..... This is the island of used to have....

Old 12-09-2010, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,323 times
Hey Guys,
Thanks to everyone for your responses. I guess I forgot to include few things.

First, fuel/gas for the car. I hope $250 per month is enough for driving it around to work (its honda and gives good mileage )?

Regarding car insurance, I am paying $50 per month for a $1000 deductible with several other options that I don't need. I can increase the deductible and drop the other options. I never had an accident or speeding ticket, and have excellent credit score. So, I guess $100 per month should be okay for car insurance. I will ask my insurance company and let you guys know what they say.

We are planning to rent an apartment. Looks like 1 bedroom is our only choice. Is $150 low for utilities?

@walter you are right that I left out taxes. After going through several tax calculators, it seems that nystate+fed+ss+medicare comes out to be around $1200 per month.

So, the total right now for one month seems to be 3350 + 1200(taxes) = 4550 (or $55K per year). This is assuming 1750 for one bedroom plus 350 per month in misc.

Am I still missing some major expense?

I am breaking even on this income, but this job is my only option right now. I will try to find another job in parallel (in NY or elsewhere), and see how it goes.

Thanks again guys..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island