Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 08:29 PM

519 posts, read 597,372 times

Advertisements

Most people on my block use landscapers. I usually don't mind these guys. I know that not everyone has time to do lawn work or enjoys it the same way others do. The problem is the landscapers are getting lazier and more aggressive with their leaf blowers.

I was outside playing with my kid when the neighbor's crew came to do their spring cleanup. 5 minutes into it and there's a dust cloud engulfing my property. They were blowing all the crap from the entire fall and winter onto my property and into the street. You couldn't even sit outside that's how bad it was. The dust and dirt got into my eyes and my kid was practically choking. They do this all the time. Even the neighbors on my other side...same scenario. Dust clouds and debris everywhere when they pull out the blowers.

Now, if I was out there blowing all my lawn crap onto their property, how would that make me look? I would never do that because it's a dbag thing to do. But why do homeowners get a pass when it's their landscapers doing it? I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 08:47 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Go to your neighbor and (nicely) explain to him/her what happened and if they can talk to their landscapers.

I've seen the landscapers using the leaf blowers to blow all the stuff out into the street (and sweep it up afterwards) but I've never seen them blow it onto someone else's property.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
i like to do my own lawn too but for the most part, my neighbors guys do a decent job (other than waiting too long to do the fall cleanup, like mid December, which makes me rake my leaves many more times than I want too). I would explain to the neighbor as well, the clean-ups are not the usual weekly service.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:29 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
I complain about this every year, annoyed nearly every day except winter because I sit at home to work and hear nothing but leaf blowers for, literally, hours at a time. The worst part is every day there's another house with a different landscaper doing it, rather than all at the same time. Only myself and next door neighbor within seeing distance DO NOT use landscapers (for me, it's principle) - and we never use leaf blowers save for once or twice a YEAR. These landscapers are out of control with their blowers and commercial-grade mowers making noise through closed windows. I have to explain on conf calls what's going on in the background when I speak. The droning noise is so fricken annoying. And this doesn't begin to talk about putting a layer of dust on people's cars, especially after spending time washing them.

Ban leafblowers, and it would solve the majority of the problem.

Along with dogs barking at 7am on the dot every morning including weekends, I've come to realize how sucky having neighbors actually is, despite how nice they are to your face.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:07 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
I hate landscapers! People need to do their own lawn. It shows how spoiled many people here have become, especially as richer people keep coming here. They don't care about the noise disturbing the neighbors, the dust they blow into the air, the pollution, or the socio-economic impacts of using landscapers (bringing illegal aliens to many LI communities).
Leafblowers should be outlawed. Its the main thing I dread when Spring comes, and it's non-stop right till the end of November, they just keep landscaping.
Back when I was growing up, it wasn't called "landscaping" it was called chores and that's what kids did instead of "Facetime" and all that stuff...
If people would do their own lawns it would make LI life so much more pleasant, and alot of the illegals would go away too! They are only here because we don't clean up the crumbs off the floor anymore.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:34 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
They blow it onto the streets but eventually passing cars and the wind blow it right back. It's so pointless. Not to mention leafblowing is bad for the environment. Burning fossil fuel just to blow dirt and plant debris around. Imagine this multiplied by millions of homes across the world everyday.

I cannot stand it either. It's become worse over the years as they've become more popular.

Another one is the use of pesticides on lawns (you see those little white flags sticking up from the ground). Mother nature intended to have little critters in the dirt. They are part of the natural environment. You don't need to poison the planet to get rid of every single living creature. The poisons seep into ground water, rivers and lakes. Not to mention they get on people's shoes and they bring it into their homes. All just to kill every bug in the lawn. Stupid.

There needs to be some kind of regulation.

Last edited by antinimby; 04-03-2015 at 12:52 AM..

Old 04-03-2015, 01:06 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Don't forget to add the fact that they park their trucks wherever they want and have no problem blocking side streets and limiting vision for us drivers.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:18 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,057 times
It must be Springtime on Long Island. The Landscaper Whine Post 2015 is now in session.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:35 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I hate landscapers! People need to do their own lawn. It shows how spoiled many people here have become, especially as richer people keep coming here. They don't care about the noise disturbing the neighbors, the dust they blow into the air, the pollution, or the socio-economic impacts of using landscapers (bringing illegal aliens to many LI communities).
Leafblowers should be outlawed. Its the main thing I dread when Spring comes, and it's non-stop right till the end of November, they just keep landscaping.
Back when I was growing up, it wasn't called "landscaping" it was called chores and that's what kids did instead of "Facetime" and all that stuff...
If people would do their own lawns it would make LI life so much more pleasant, and alot of the illegals would go away too! They are only here because we don't clean up the crumbs off the floor anymore.
If you ban leaf blowers landscapers will have to increase their crews to compensate loss of production. Costs will increase for homeowners and number of illegals would increase. Forget about homeowners doing their own lawn, not going to happen.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:41 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Lifes irritants are different for everyone. Landscapers don't bother me one bit. When I lived on LI, my guys did a better job than we could have done, my lawn (most years) looked like a Gold Coast mansions lawn. They never started before 7:30 and the only time they ever blew stuff around was during the heavy cleanup in the fall and spring. They had already asked me to secure permission from neighbors to enter their yards in the event they accidently blew leaves in the neighbors yards. That even became a zero problem since they all left their landscapers and moved to mine.

I heard the blowers but it never bothered me. I will take a landscaper over people who keep pickup a cell phone to text or read email while in a conversation with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island