Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:57 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,589,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Rocky Point? Well, it did change a little. By bypassing it, there is now no reason to go there (Except for passing through to Port Jeff or on your way to Sound Ave of course).
Every now and then someone strikes gold. Great comment. It caught me unprepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 01:55 PM

592 posts, read 1,819,105 times
When I first saw this thread I had to think really hard about there being any improvements on LI in the past 10-15 years and I only came up with one. It is sad, really. I, personally love LI, but you just can't deny that it's looking old and worn these days among quite a few other negatives that I won't list.

Sadder yet, is that if you began a thread, AND PLEASE DON'T, about things that have declined on LI in the past 10-15 years, there would be a lot more posts than this in it. Okay, now I'm really depressed.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:30 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,057,980 times
I took some time to think about this and honestly, I can't think of a single thing that's improved in the last 10-15 years on LI... The best things about LI are all things that existed way more then 15 years ago. and they certainly have not been improving on those things.

It's more of an acceptance of mediocrity then anything else, which I do not consider improvement at all and really think is kind of sad. Since Crooks is likely to turn my comment into a Tarheel debate - like that has ANY bearing on things improving on LI, which of course it doesn't... but I'm sure there will be a "NC burn" in there somewhere because like that kid in school - if you make other kids look worse or lower then you, then of course, you look better yourself!

Sorry Crooks, too predictable... Preemptive only since I know it's coming. and honestly, I think you have an acronym affinity that goes over most people's heads... Places like Tanger on your list have actually gone downhill recently. Run down looking with empty storefronts compared to years ago... and do people actually bother going to places like Splish Splash? or hit downtown Patchogue for homeless watching?

Either way it's subjective I guess... But things that have improved in the last 10-15 years are minuscule compared to things folks could list that have gone downhill in the past 10-15 years.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:33 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,220,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I took some time to think about this and honestly, I can't think of a single thing that's improved in the last 10-15 years on LI... The best things about LI are all things that existed way more then 15 years ago. and they certainly have not been improving on those things.

It's more of an acceptance of mediocrity then anything else, which I do not consider improvement at all and really think is kind of sad. Since Crooks is likely to turn my comment into a Tarheel debate - like that has ANY bearing on things improving on LI, which of course it doesn't... but I'm sure there will be a "NC burn" in there somewhere because like that kid in school - if you make other kids look worse or lower then you, then of course, you look better yourself!

Sorry Crooks, too predictable... Preemptive only since I know it's coming. and honestly, I think you have an acronym affinity that goes over most people's heads... Places like Tanger on your list have actually gone downhill recently. Run down looking with empty storefronts compared to years ago... and do people actually bother going to places like Splish Splash? or hit downtown Patchogue for homeless watching?

Either way it's subjective I guess... But things that have improved in the last 10-15 years are minuscule compared to things folks could list that have gone downhill in the past 10-15 years.
On that point we agree.

As for Tarnation being the new old LI. we dont.

Crooks

Old 01-31-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Every now and then someone strikes gold. Great comment. It caught me unprepared.

Are you guys a couple?

As for the Bypass,RP starts at Radio.

I got a chuckle.Zilla always gets points for wit and sarcasm.
You on the other hand get none.
Crooks

Old 01-31-2011, 05:35 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,537,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Crooks, believe it or not I'm actually tired of correcting you.
Lindenhurst, Kings Park, Commack, Bay Shore, Sound Beach and Ridge haven't changed much at all in 15 years. WTF are you talking about?
Manorville has; it's been developed and went from a rural farm community to a rich rural farm community to a poor rural farm community.
You continue to see great things about Patchogue. OK, they used millions of Federal and state money to improve main street. They STILL have 19 people living in those big Victorians 2 blocks from the water. Same as 15 yrs ago.
Rocky Point? Well, it did change a little. By bypassing it, there is now no reason to go there (Except for passing through to Port Jeff or on your way to Sound Ave of course).
I don't really know about the others, I think Lindy/Kings Park/Commack/etc. have all pretty much stayed exactly the same... but the changes in Bay Shore and Patchogue are definitely a big deal for those areas. They both went from total dumps (at least their main commercial strips) to places that are now a legitimate weekend destination. Coming from Nassau, if I'm gonna invest the time and energy in going out somewhere in Suffolk like that, I'd now much rather go to Patchogue than Port Jefferson. That absolutely counts for something.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I don't really know about the others, I think Lindy/Kings Park/Commack/etc. have all pretty much stayed exactly the same... but the changes in Bay Shore and Patchogue are definitely a big deal for those areas. They both went from total dumps (at least their main commercial strips) to places that are now a legitimate weekend destination. Coming from Nassau, if I'm gonna invest the time and energy in going out somewhere in Suffolk like that, I'd now much rather go to Patchogue than Port Jefferson. That absolutely counts for something.
As would I Sean and yes it does.

Hats of to Mayor Pontieri.

Port Jeff has definitely lost ground as a drawing power for locals now that Patchogue Village is on the mend.They really crapped the bed with that whole paid parking thing and now that the Supefund site of Lawrence Aviation has contaminated the stream all the way down to Rocketship park, its definitely cause for pause.The big thumbs up there is in the winter with the rink but other than that I do think Patchogue Village has more to offer these days.I think the restaurants in the surrounding areas have definitely gained at Port Jeffs expense.

As for the others....you may be right.Its probably more like 20-25 for KP/Commack but I remember Commack being the butt end of the rich kids jokes from Lloyd Harbow and KP being packed with drifters after the nuthouse.Lindy just seems to be attracting better buyers over the years.I have much hope for it.

Crooks

Old 01-31-2011, 07:27 PM

8,826 posts, read 21,340,256 times
I'll agree about Port Jeff. I am not sure what happened there. As kids , it was the best place to go (in the boat) as there were Darlings (comics), Grammas & The Ferry Dock (ice cream sodas ) and all sorts of cool places.
That was where you went to high school if you lived in Setauket as Ward Melville came along later.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,357,939 times
Wow, you people have really short memories.
In the mid to late 1980's Port Jeff had a curfew, the police stopped you at the top of the hill and checked your id. The corner store always had a broken window and was finally replaced with a door. It was overrun by teenagers and bar hoppers. At one time, half the stores were empty.
In the last 25 years, half that time Port Jeff was not even a nice place, yet is viewed with such reverence by CD.

Patchogue...Hats off to the mayor, huh? He got handed millions of dollars for urban renewal. They put a dress on a pig. Cool place to hang out, sure, but check the neighborhoods.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:39 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,357,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

Well you left, which is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island