Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 850 times

Advertisements

As one who toils in the trenches (not at Newsday) I'd just like to point out that getting information takes time and effort, or, in other words, money. There is not enough ad revenue generated by the web (and this is true for ALL publishers) to cover the cost of news-gathering. Everybody's still earning their money from the 'dying' print publications. Want to see death of information? Keep insisting consumers shouldn't have to pay. If the advertisers pay, they call the tune. Eventually every publication will sound like Lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 11:17 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Editrixie View Post
As one who toils in the trenches (not at Newsday) I'd just like to point out that getting information takes time and effort, or, in other words, money. There is not enough ad revenue generated by the web (and this is true for ALL publishers) to cover the cost of news-gathering. Everybody's still earning their money from the 'dying' print publications. Want to see death of information? Keep insisting consumers shouldn't have to pay. If the advertisers pay, they call the tune. Eventually every publication will sound like Lucky.
Tell that to CNN. They get news worldwide and yet I can read their stories without paying.

Not like anything in Newsday isn't something I already read about a day or two ago online anyhow.

And if I truly need local news, I head to the Patch.

Newsday can burn in hell.

Also, you replied to a 3 year old thread. Congrats.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:24 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelmo View Post
I believe charging for this is a poor business model. How do they expect to grow viewership this way? I am also shocked that anyone still buys their actual paper now that it's up to $1 while the daily news and the post are still at $.50

Post and Daily News are between $1 and $1.25

Old 09-24-2014, 11:32 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Post and Daily News are between $1 and $1.25

You responded to a 4 year old post, and prices were what he/she said back then. Way to go! Maybe you can dig up a post from 1983 and correct them for having gas prices wrong too.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:54 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
You responded to a 4 year old post, and prices were what he/she said back then. Way to go! Maybe you can dig up a post from 1983 and correct them for having gas prices wrong too.
Good luck, I remember being on my first bulletin board in the early-to-mid-90s. If you can find any from the 80s, that would be tres magnifique!

Old 09-24-2014, 12:02 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Good luck, I remember being on my first bulletin board in the early-to-mid-90s. If you can find any from the 80s, that would be tres magnifique!

It would be quite a feat for sure

Old 09-24-2014, 12:51 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
They allow five free views I think weekly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island