Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 12:49 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
School districts don't seem to have a bottom line.

School boards, superintendents approve these contracts that average 7% a year and then turn around and tell tax payers that they need to raise taxes, its for the kids. Voters need to hold these school boards accountable for their decisions.
Amen to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 12:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
It looks like you may have mischaracterized their protests. I'm sure you didn't mean to. I'm certain you wanted to accurately describe why these teachers are unhappy.

The state wants to end tenure and collective bargaining.
Not an END to collective bargaining, but a limit to it:

Quote:
while limiting collective bargaining for most state and local government employees to the issue of wages, excluding an array of issues like health coverage and vacations.
They still get collective bargaining for the most juicy issue -- wages.

Tenure was not mentioned at all. Where did you see that?

Old 02-16-2011, 02:22 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
100s of teachers out of work

1000 may get laid off at BNL

Has anyone considered the impact on the local economy?

Dont get me wrong the TU is dead wrong on all counts.

Their goal SHOULD be to keep their brothers/sisters working rather than to protect seniority at all costs.
There is no teacher out there worth 3 times another.I dont care if youve been teaching since Carter.
Give it up....share the love or welcome to your own demise.Youve lost the Dem support....its over.
Do the right thing.

This is gonna leave a mark with nothing behind it to cushion the blow.

Crooks

Old 02-16-2011, 03:56 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

Their goal SHOULD be to keep their brothers/sisters working rather than to protect seniority at all costs.
There is no teacher out there worth 3 times another.I dont care if youve been teaching since Carter.
Give it up....share the love or welcome to your own demise.Youve lost the Dem support....its over.
Do the right thing.

Crooks

Well, lets say its 1200 people that will be removed for arguements sake. Thats 1200 homes that are effected, average means 40% of them are upside down on their mortgage. Add in local, state, and federal taxes and they aren't living here for long. So around 480 homes that are probably going to be either sold for cheap or forclosed on.

However, reductions in the property taxes that could (stressing COULD) result would mean opening up the market for homes. Depends on costs, severence packages, buy outs, etc. Short term it could be a neutral situation, but unless costs are going to be contained your just delaying the inevitable.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:00 PM

999 posts, read 2,358,167 times
The schools have a lot of fat they could cut....

Has anyone looked at the classes in the schools...

There seems to be a lot of unnecessary classes.

Then the supers, the super asst, the asst to the asst super, secretaries for all of them.....

Here is the catch...

This is all BS created so there are jobs for people, and now that the world caught up with the BS, do to some people's lack of sight at all...

Some of the BS the people caused, just so they could run with that stupid catch phrase "L.I. has the best schools"
No it doesn't, it has the best BS, and now the cost of having that catch phrase is gonna cripple this island.
L.I. had the best schools for giving out jobs, over priced jobs, that are costly.

That made L.I. insanely expensive to live, along with peoples greed for 1000 sq ft homes thinking they're worth anything more than 80k and getting 300k...

So....

Now you toss the BS out and the economy only gets worse.

More people not working...

More jobs not available...

President clinton has got his bridge to the future and brought the U.S. down to the rest of the worlds level...

Meanwhile local politicians that could have made a positive change, combated some of this, they blew it, thinking there is still a cold war brewing and there will be more govt (hand out fat) jobs coming to make and engineer the next weapon of fear....

Dumbasses, we have a political field of retards.. (we have a large population that votes for these retards, making L.I. the land of the stupid)
The fed govt is screaming for car companies to make them practically run on and put out air.... and our local politicians are looking for some creative new bs weapons plant to be built on L.I. and give 10,000 people jobs that aren't coming...

Get ready for the crash....it's coming

Old 02-16-2011, 04:28 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,280 times
With respect the teachers today have it way to easy for the $$$ they make.
When I went to Sayville High school The average class was 32 to 34 students and there was just the teacher, no Aids. Now they have what ? at so much more $$$$ per student.
The time has come to make teachers earn there pay.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:19 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That is exactly the problem, teachers have been getting salary increases close to 3.5% and step increases also around 3.5 % so on average most distiricts have been getting 7% increases for 2007, 2008 , 2009 when the CPI was close to 0%. That should most definitelly be a consideration with the contracts coming due and a salary freeze would be fair.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:26 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

Do the right thing.

Crooks

Generally unions don't want to take a step back but I believe it was Brentwood took a cut to save jobs, we will see if more follow suit because something has to give.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Generally unions don't want to take a step back but I believe it was Brentwood took a cut to save jobs, we will see if more follow suit because something has to give.
Big doin's at Sachem tomorrow.All the Union peeps are going to rally.
Trust me on this ....as goes Sachem, so goes LI.
They know it, thats why they are there.

IF the Union doesent give and they lay off a F-Ton of teachers and class sizes hit 40, watch out, next stops Pat-Med or CI.

I think the community will do the right thing if the Unions give a little.Truth be told they have a great district and low taxes but its hard to have it both ways.

Like I sad the former Supt wussed out on raising taxes for a few years to get a better gig in Nassau.This is the hangover.

My prediction 10-15% tops.
Crooks

Old 02-16-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Floyd did a few years back too.

ALL districts should be proactively offering to do so A F'n SAP.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island