Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:13 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
So the local LE mishandled someone who showed very bad judgement and who gets to foot the bill if she wins?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XdrbNnZsCU

Fine, but I'll let you chase after and clean up after every idiot that runs around this country without a clue as to how not to get into trouble with the law.

Thanks for posting the video. The guy on the right needs to take the town supervisor and drop her in the trash. First, you don't not follow up on a lawsuit that is the entire budget of your township. Second, you don't not keep the town council updated. Third, you don't claim that it is frivolous when all charges against the plantiff were dropped. Seems to me like she just blew it off. McDonalds did that, most expensive cup of coffee they ever poured.

I have no problems with people who actually break the laws (though NYS firearms laws were written by a 5 year old for a 6 year old taking no factual evidence into account and I'll fight them till they do), but obviously that was not this case. Woman parks on the side of the road, legal. Woman takes a picture from public property, legal. Woman has firearms in her car, legal.

I hope the judge does not accept the reason by the township. The town has multiple lawyers on staff that could have handled that case, and by the sounds of it the town supervisor neglected her job and was ambivalent to the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:22 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
WOW - After watching that video, I kinda hope she wins her default judgment just to spite these morons. Holy crap... what do these people think they're doing? Playing house? Cuz that's what it looked like. There was ONE MAN seated at that table who sounded like he had any clue what he was talking about, the rest seemed more concerned not with fixing the problem - or figuring out how it happened - but shifting the blame away from themselves.

This whole thing seems very confusing to me. Well, first off - lemme just mention that I think this woman is a complete NUT and the world would probably be a safer place if she was committed to a mental institution... however from what I can tell, the only thing she seems to have been charged with is trespassing and some other mysterious "disorderly conduct" type charge that isn't listed for being combative once in custody? Please, don't think I'm defending her as a person, her politics or whatever the hell her agenda is (I'm really not even sure) - but it would seem to me that if she had actually been trespassing, wouldn't it have been within the ANG's authority to detain her and not the Town of Southampton PD? Perhaps that's why the charges have been dropped? If she was actually somewhere on the alleged "military installation" that she shouldn't have been, why were Town police officers detaining her at all?

For all the talk about guns and picture taking, it seems like that has never even entered into this from a legal standpoint. Her schuyster lawyer and bogus theft/harassment claims WOULD be frivolous nonsense - IF Town of Southampton hadn't completely dropped the ball and failed to respond to official legal proceedings, putting themselves at major risk. It appears the whole thing is now in the hands of a federal judge deciding whether or not ToS' claim of not being able to reply to a "final notice" type thing hinges on their additionally late response in filing some kind of bereavement paperwork for the town attorney - who, as Wallone points out in that video, certainly did not need to attend the proceedings since they have other qualified people on staff to handle such a simple thing. That is mind blowing... how the hell does something like this even happen? If the judge decides ToS has had more than their fair chance to respond and has shown complete negligence (which seems like a very real possibility) - Nancy Genovese is awarded the full amount - $70 million, no ifs ands or buts about it.

As someone pointed out in the video - that's more than the entire yearly budget of the Town of Southampton
This is my favorite line from the quote in the original post:

During the remainder of the six hours that Nancy Genovese was forcibly detained on the side of the road, she was taunted, verbally harangued, threatened, belittled, abused, humiliated and harassed by members of the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office.

But Schuyster, Esq. won, didn't he?

A bunch of morons asleep at the switch, probably dreaming about the money they make for doing nothing over there is how they won.

I guess property taxes in Southampton will be going up to pay for this. How crazy is that?

Old 02-21-2011, 11:04 AM

150 posts, read 297,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
probably because she is just a person with a severe mental disorder.
I'll gladly sign up for whatever mental disorder is going to get her 70 million dollars. All it takes is being crazy simultaneously a Township being incompetent from LE to lawyers.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:06 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
I need to think up a good reason to sue the Town of Hempstead... I'm sure they're much too busy preventing the construction of neighborhood ruining White Castles to be bothered with my legal claims.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:11 AM

150 posts, read 297,879 times
Quote:
WOW - After watching that video, I kinda hope she wins her default judgment just to spite these morons. Holy crap... what do these people think they're doing? Playing house? Cuz that's what it looked like. There was ONE MAN seated at that table who sounded like he had any clue what he was talking about, the rest seemed more concerned not with fixing the problem - or figuring out how it happened - but shifting the blame away from themselves.

This whole thing seems very confusing to me. Well, first off - lemme just mention that I think this woman is a complete NUT and the world would probably be a safer place if she was committed to a mental institution... however from what I can tell, the only thing she seems to have been charged with is trespassing and some other mysterious "disorderly conduct" type charge that isn't listed for being combative once in custody? Please, don't think I'm defending her as a person, her politics or whatever the hell her agenda is (I'm really not even sure) - but it would seem to me that if she had actually been trespassing, wouldn't it have been within the ANG's authority to detain her and not the Town of Southampton PD? Perhaps that's why the charges have been dropped? If she was actually somewhere on the alleged "military installation" that she shouldn't have been, why were Town police officers detaining her at all?

For all the talk about guns and picture taking, it seems like that has never even entered into this from a legal standpoint. Her schuyster lawyer and bogus theft/harassment claims WOULD be frivolous nonsense - IF Town of Southampton hadn't completely dropped the ball and failed to respond to official legal proceedings, putting themselves at major risk. It appears the whole thing is now in the hands of a federal judge deciding whether or not ToS' claim of not being able to reply to a "final notice" type thing hinges on their additionally late response in filing some kind of bereavement paperwork for the town attorney - who, as Wallone points out in that video, certainly did not need to attend the proceedings since they have other qualified people on staff to handle such a simple thing. That is mind blowing... how the hell does something like this even happen? If the judge decides ToS has had more than their fair chance to respond and has shown complete negligence (which seems like a very real possibility) - Nancy Genovese is awarded the full amount - $70 million, no ifs ands or buts about it.

As someone pointed out in the video - that's more than the entire yearly budget of the Town of Southampton

I think the only reason the guns came up is to appeal to the anti-gun people in the state. She didn't do anything illegal with them, but it gets played in the media like she's a right wing extremist. For all we know the reason they didn't pursue anything was because there was a camera in the car, or the hospital, or the sheriff's station that completely corroborates her allegations. And they didn't find her case was the evidence would come up in a civil trial. They'd rather look incompetent than the people described by her lawyers, we'll probably never know.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:21 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
This is my favorite line from the quote in the original post:

During the remainder of the six hours that Nancy Genovese was forcibly detained on the side of the road, she was taunted, verbally harangued, threatened, belittled, abused, humiliated and harassed by members of the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office.

But Schuyster, Esq. won, didn't he?

A bunch of morons asleep at the switch, probably dreaming about the money they make for doing nothing over there is how they won.

I guess property taxes in Southampton will be going up to pay for this. How crazy is that?
Has there actually been a default judgment issued? From what I read, I couldn't tell if that was the case and Town of Southampton was now challenging it on grounds that their attorney had a death in the family, or if it was still pending (but ToS had failed to respond in a timely manner).

Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Has there actually been a default judgment issued? From what I read, I couldn't tell if that was the case and Town of Southampton was now challenging it on grounds that their attorney had a death in the family, or if it was still pending (but ToS had failed to respond in a timely manner).
Motion for summary judgement, followed by the court asking Moderator cut: language removed lawyers were thinking.

Judge hasn't ruled on anything yet, he needs to consider the towns reason. With the fact that there was multiple layers of people dropping the ball and it wasn't exactly a little issue, I don't know how much of a chance the town has to go to trial. If they do, they are going to be hit for loss of evidence, have to answer questions, theft, etc.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-21-2011 at 06:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island