Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:27 PM

149 posts, read 345,577 times

Advertisements

My son has terrible allergies ............went to allergist and he is allergic to trees, grass, pollen & dust. Had him on "Fexofenadine" for a while and it did help but made him very very tired. A neighbor sells juice plus and told me it can help, Im a sceptic..........I read about it and its 50/50 on the polls. I do like that it is a healthy alternative to a pill but not sure if it really works. Has anyone here tried juice plus? heard anything good/bad or ugly about fexofenadine..............should I be doing claritan for him?

Ps. I know there are alot of people very judgemental on here........I dont want any comments like "bring him to a doctor" I did........I am now just asking the public for advise. I want to do what is right for my son....sometimes a person with experience in my situation can help more than a doctor writing a prescription. Hoping I can get a little help here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcba View Post
My son has terrible allergies ............went to allergist and he is allergic to trees, grass, pollen & dust. Had him on "Fexofenadine" for a while and it did help but made him very very tired. A neighbor sells juice plus and told me it can help, Im a sceptic..........I read about it and its 50/50 on the polls. I do like that it is a healthy alternative to a pill but not sure if it really works. Has anyone here tried juice plus? heard anything good/bad or ugly about fexofenadine..............should I be doing claritan for him?

Ps. I know there are alot of people very judgemental on here........I dont want any comments like "bring him to a doctor" I did........I am now just asking the public for advise. I want to do what is right for my son....sometimes a person with experience in my situation can help more than a doctor writing a prescription. Hoping I can get a little help here.
Most of those "alternative" medicines that people sell are basically snake oil. It's called the placebo effect and sometimes it works because a person wants it to work. Because, if it really worked that well a pharma would make it into a pill, patent it, and make lot of money.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:39 PM

886 posts, read 2,647,354 times
Your son sounds like what my oldest daughter went through. Central Air and shut windows at this time of year are an absolute must. Pollen is a killer as is Spring grass season. Juice Plus? I think you know the answer. Zyrtec works best for her. Good luck.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:07 PM

17 posts, read 55,195 times
I was on fexofenadine for a long time and it did not make me tired. Is your son taking allergy meds that contain a decongestant? If so, get the version without and it may help with the tiredness.

Fexofenadine is allegra and is now available over the counter.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:58 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
Keeping the windows shut at night is a huge help, and using the AC in the summer filters out the pollen. Also, once the leaves are completely out on the trees, then the tree pollen will decrease. Not getting enough sleep also increases allergy symptoms.

Maybe if your son takes a children's over-the-counter antihistamine right before he goes to sleep at night it will help - he'll get a better night's sleep, it will dry up a lot of the runniness, and the next day he won't be tired which will help cut down on the symptoms overall.

Hopefully he'll outgrow it as he gets older, but for now it can be pretty miserable.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:17 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Try local honey. Go to the closest natural local honey dealer by you and buy some. It has to be made locally so it will have the natural pollens and such in it. I know for a fact it has helped some people. For $6 its worth the try.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:03 AM

400 posts, read 761,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcba View Post

Hi... I have the same allergies, and usually they are not so bad, but the last 2 weeks or so have been a nightmare. I have never heard of juice plus.. but I just looked it up, and I dont think it will help with environmental allergies like pollen, dust trees etc......

But just to let you know that alternative medicine is not always snake oil... There are ofcourse many who prey on the desperate, but there are homeopathic & ayurvedic remedies out there that do work... I know a few people that have tried them when conventional treatment has failed.

Dont give up searching for an answer...but I dont think Juice Plus will help your son.. .but if your keen on trying it, I would love to know if it worked for you.... Again, I have environemental allergies... and right now, ITS NUTS

Old 05-05-2011, 07:21 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Most holistic type things will neither help nor hurt. One thing you might want to try is eliminating dairy from his diet if you haven't already.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:27 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Try local honey. Go to the closest natural local honey dealer by you and buy some. It has to be made locally so it will have the natural pollens and such in it. I know for a fact it has helped some people. For $6 its worth the try.
If the OP needs the name of a honey farm, please let me know. I buy from a man in Manorville who has been doing these for years. He also removes nuisance bees, if anyone has that problem. Good guy.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:46 AM

537 posts, read 1,448,502 times
Fexofenadine is Allegra. I take it and it works for me. But I have also been taking allergy shots for the past three years that have really helped me as well.

Interesting because when I was taking Allegra, I was taking Allegra-D (with the decongestent)... and the Allegra-D actually made me very wired. Definitely not sleepy.

Talk to your doctor and see if it's just Fexofenadine or if it also has the D. If it doesn't have the decongestent, try taking it with the decongestent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island