Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:43 AM

8 posts, read 47,625 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend recently bought a foreclosed home in Islip town. After putting alot of money into it, he found out it is illegal to have a basement apartment, which he planned on renting (legally) and only found out they aren't allowed when he wen't to file for permits.

He was relying on the income to help pay his mortgage on the home and to help pay back the thousands of dollars he has put into the home.

So I suggested renting out 2 of the 3 bedrooms. The basement is finished and beautiful. He would just need a permit for the downstairs full bathroom (which was there when he bought the home) and the plans he made to put in a stove to leave out, as I know that makes it illegal.

Can he legally rent out a bedroom to someone? He doesn't want to be turned in for violations and any research I've done states that it is legal but to check the towns ordinances.

Has anyone any knowledge about this? Much appreciate any help I get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 AM

311 posts, read 1,019,882 times
So he bought a house he really couldn't afford??? And people wonder why the housing market is the way it is

Old 03-21-2011, 08:17 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,184 times
I really don't know but I think it is possible to do.

the main problem with things being "illegal" has to do with seperate dwelling units. I don't think there is a rule that you can't share a house communially with some friends/roomates, sharing kitchen bathrooms etc. there are probably maximum occupancy rules as to how many non-related people can live together

Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 AM

It isnt that he can't afford the home, he CAN. What he has a hard time with is paying for all the repairs that have already been done without the knowledge I mentioned in the post. He isn't an investor and he isn't looking to flip the home. He is the owner-occupant. He saw a chance to own a home on Long Island AND contribute to a depressed neighborhood.

He is TRYING to do the right thing and having assumptions doesn't help

Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 AM

330 posts, read 726,435 times
The best way to get the correct info is to call the town/village/city and ask. DO NOT give your name, his name, or the address, just ask in general for your location. DO NOT give them any info, they are not your friends.

And don't worry about the people on this board, a lot of them are snobby and uptight and wish they could reserve LI for rich people only.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
The best way to get the correct info is to call the town/village/city and ask. DO NOT give your name, his name, or the address, just ask in general for your location. DO NOT give them any info, they are not your friends.

And don't worry about the people on this board, a lot of them are snobby and uptight and wish they could reserve LI for rich people only.
Much appreciated Dave!!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post

One more thing, DO NOT TALK TO THE NEIGHBORS about this. The fastest way to make problems is to tell others. Your neighbors are usually NOT your friends, either.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:42 AM

Well, heres an update. According to the town, it is not legal to rent a room, and after hearing that, I did research and found out the courts are on the home owners side in this matter. The town(s) still persue the home owner when the courts are saying that any given town CANNOT tell a home owner what to do with a room. An illegal apartment is a different story, of course.

I am new to this stuff, but it seems very ballsy of any town to think they can tell you what to do in your own home as far as renting a room to someone!

Is this a case of big brother watching over us in the privacy of our own homes? I think it is and I think my boyfriend will do whatever he chooses to do IN HIS OWN HOME.

Thanks to everyone who helped!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:59 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlsniperix View Post
Well, heres an update. According to the town, it is not legal to rent a room, and after hearing that, I did research and found out the courts are on the home owners side in this matter. The town(s) still persue the home owner when the courts are saying that any given town CANNOT tell a home owner what to do with a room. An illegal apartment is a different story, of course.

I am new to this stuff, but it seems very ballsy of any town to think they can tell you what to do in your own home as far as renting a room to someone!

Is this a case of big brother watching over us in the privacy of our own homes? I think it is and I think my boyfriend will do whatever he chooses to do IN HIS OWN HOME.

You guys must be young/naive to assume such.

It's not just the town telling you what to do with the house. If you think you can rent out a house as long-term hotel and that's all that happens, you have a lot to learn.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:23 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlsniperix View Post

This is news to me. I thought homeowners were allowed to take in boarders or roommates as long as they themselves also lived in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: