Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:33 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,749,601 times

Advertisements

Link> Top Stories Item

Did I read that correctly, teachers union giving up raises to save jobs??

Judging from the list, we have more schools that are on deck: Sachem, Middle Country, Brentwood? Time to give back (void the raises, not really giving back) to taxpayers and your fellow teachers.

Suffolk County
District | Budget | Aid cut | New Reserves or (Deficit) *New reserve level %
----------------------------------------------------
Wyandanch | $55,089,140 | $2,426,050 | ($3,787,357) * -6.87%
Amityville | $77,105,840 | $2,469,102 | ($2,469,102) * -3.20%
Middle Country | $207,877,471 | $10,647,245 | ($6,647,245) * -3.20%
Central Islip | $171,367,626 | $5,733,162 | ($4,216,579) * -2.46%
Bay Shore | $139,604,165 | $4,337,265 | ($2,937,265) * -2.10%
West Islip | $104,104,887 | $3,091,834 | ($2,187,116) * -2.10%
Sachem | $280,711,665 | $16,266,351 | ($5,037,884) * -1.79%
Mount Sinai | $54,247,010 | $1,905,686 | ($905,686) * -1.67%
Brentwood | $304,088,227 | $11,287,467 | ($5,030,938) * -1.65%
William Floyd | $200,029,600 | $9,084,959 | ($3,084,071) * -1.54%
Shoreham-Wading River | $57,967,477 | $985,326 | ($685,326) * -1.18%

FULL LIST AT:
NYS School Aid Cuts by District (LI)

=============
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 12:52 PM

13,512 posts, read 17,046,510 times
I can only speak for my wifes teachers union, but they are not reneging on raises only to save jobs. Many teachers also want the communities to know that they aren't blind to the current economic situation, and it has been openly stated in union meetings that part of this is PR. My wife and some of her friends, for instance, have no chance of being laid off either way due to seniority, but they feel reducing or freezing raises is only fair, even though the district will not guarantee no layoffs even IF they give up raises. Most likely they will have wage freezes PLUS some people will be laid off. There are some old timers who don't think they should be giving up a penny, but they are a minority.

I know to some of you it is meaningless unless they take an actual pay cut, but if you look at recent negotiations by OTHER very highly paid public workers, they weren't quite so generous, and in fact gave themselves a raise despite the current economic situation, putting most of any "cuts" they offered on the backs of future hires.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:01 PM

929 posts, read 2,069,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I can only speak for my wifes teachers union, but they are not reneging on raises only to save jobs. Many teachers also want the communities to know that they aren't blind to the current economic situation, and it has been openly stated in union meetings that part of this is PR. My wife and some of her friends, for instance, have no chance of being laid off either way due to seniority, but they feel reducing or freezing raises is only fair, even though the district will not guarantee no layoffs even IF they give up raises. Most likely they will have wage freezes PLUS some people will be laid off. There are some old timers who don't think they should be giving up a penny, but they are a minority.

I know to some of you it is meaningless unless they take an actual pay cut, but if you look at recent negotiations by OTHER very highly paid public workers, they weren't quite so generous, and in fact gave themselves a raise despite the current economic situation, putting most of any "cuts" they offered on the backs of future hires.
I can't believe that the teacher's motives are for "the good of the community." Because, if that was their motive they would have voluntarily taken cuts and froze wages 2-3 years ago. They are doing this because of the massive push back they are getting from neighbors/friends/public and the fact that an ambivalence to this subject could lead to much harsher concessions later on. Anyway, it's a start!

It's unfortunate that some of those teachers think they shouldn't give up a penny. Why doesn't the union just vote to cut the top teachers salaries? Doesn't it all come down to a vote? That would be a huge PR victory, and would only cost the people at the absolute top.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:15 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,320,495 times
Default From page 2 of that Newsday Mobile article

It said:

Quote:
The new agreement describes teachers' concessions as increased contributions to their health-insurance coverage. Currently, local teachers pay 10 percent of those costs -- considerably less than the 15 to 20 percent paid in many other districts.

However, Susan Casali, who is Comsewogue's assistant superintendent for business, said the givebacks will more than compensate for the 3.2 percent contractual raises that teachers are due next year, plus much of the additional "step" increases built into their salary schedules. Casali added that a relatively small number of teachers -- less than 50 -- who are part-timers or full-timers with little seniority will receive less total pay next year than this year.
It sounds like they are just moving the figures around to different columns. Out of a total of 300 teachers, only 50 will actually see any cut in pay.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:20 PM

5,064 posts, read 3,962,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
I can't believe that the teacher's motives are for "the good of the community." Because, if that was their motive they would have voluntarily taken cuts and froze wages 2-3 years ago. They are doing this because of the massive push back they are getting from neighbors/friends/public and the fact that an ambivalence to this subject could lead to much harsher concessions later on. Anyway, it's a start!

It's unfortunate that some of those teachers think they shouldn't give up a penny. Why doesn't the union just vote to cut the top teachers salaries? Doesn't it all come down to a vote? That would be a huge PR victory, and would only cost the people at the absolute top.
Why not have all the top and middle earning teachers vote to reduce their own pay? That would be an even bigger PR victory and really really save money.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:07 PM

22,676 posts, read 36,826,713 times
Slightly OT but I hear the Garden City PTA is giving the administration serious pushback on their plans to cut teachers and increase class sizes, all while not eliminating any admin positions. GC went thru this same scenarion last year and the budget failed the first time. Then the supt supposedly agreed to a pay freeze for himself, but in actuality he got more paid vacation time so it was a wash. Should be interesting to see what happens this May.

For the PTA to be taking a stand is a big deal though, at least in GC.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:25 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,766,297 times
wait...so cutting services isn't the only way to reduce costs? Who knew?

Old 03-18-2011, 04:26 PM

929 posts, read 2,069,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
wait...so cutting services isn't the only way to reduce costs? Who knew?
C'mon this is Long Island. What's that word you used...."reduce"? No, we cut services and keep or raise costs. God forbid the blue unicorn should appear and we actually find a way to raise services and reduce costs.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:32 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,749,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It said:

It sounds like they are just moving the figures around to different columns. Out of a total of 300 teachers, only 50 will actually see any cut in pay.
Good catch! I didn't even see a pg 2 when I first accessed the article, strange.. ND must've slipped that in there. But it's still real concessions I guess, no?

What about the other troubled districts: Rocky Point, Middle Country, Billy Floyd.. heard talks the Gov wants consolidated districts. RP + Middle Country + William Floyd -- about on par w each other academically, would save a lot if they merged districts?
Are they going to cut the Rocky point cheerleader program ?

Old 03-18-2011, 07:23 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post

Exactly. The districts are still running deficits, layoffs are still going to happen. They aren't going to cut the top, that only works for taxing the rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Good catch! I didn't even see a pg 2 when I first accessed the article, strange.. ND must've slipped that in there. But it's still real concessions I guess, no?

What about the other troubled districts: Rocky Point, Middle Country, Billy Floyd.. heard talks the Gov wants consolidated districts. RP + Middle Country + William Floyd -- about on par w each other academically, would save a lot if they merged districts?
Are they going to cut the Rocky point cheerleader program ?
Sachem too. Laying off quite a few teachers last I looked. My wife and I were discussing the housing scheme on LI with the cuts to the local government, teachers, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island