Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,322 times

Advertisements

They run it like a small mafia where these politicians select the important village posts and pay them whatever they want only to make sure that their political and bureaucratic interested are looked after. Why they need a separate building department from the one already being used fortown of hempstead. Why they need additional cops or police force. Why tehy need to have a separate court when there is already a town court. All of this to make sure they can run this small village like a business and only benefit few. People only realise this game once they become a resident. From outside, it looks all nice and green until you become a part of it and find out the ditch you are in.
I believe that is the case with all these villages. Why can't they do away with them and unnecessary staff and burden they carry to home owners to monopolize their way.
Furthermore, ever noticed you can't put up a for sale sign in a village including floral park village. These villages try to inflate the home prices by showing the visitor that there is no homes for sale in area hence it's a nice neighbourhood. This is all gimik and game. I think we as residents can do similar or better withou having to carry the burden of these politically selected staff that gets paid whatever they want to execute the political interests of village adminitration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 11:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,360 times
Lightbulb Floral Park Village - a Great Place to Live

I've lived in Floral Park 17 years, and yes there are some rules, and it's better for all of us.

Easy commute to NYC, park under the LIRR for $75/year, live in the top 3 safest cities in the state.

And if you work in the 5 boroughs and live in Nassau, you don't have to pay the NYC income tax of 4%. So actually, it is a wash between higher property taxes and lower income taxes.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:52 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r20926 View Post
Thoughts on buying house there?

Thanks!
My first house was in Bellerose Village. Probably the nicest area in Floral Park. A few thoughts - remember there are no electric fences around Bellrose Village that separate the nicer parts of Floral Park Nassau from the worse parts of Bellerose Queens.

The schools are adequate. The only place I would ever live in Floral Park would be Bellerose Village. A pretty mini-Garden City with lovely 1920s homes. The problem is Bellrose Village - like Garden City - is in a sea of not so nice areas.

I would only live there with very young children, or if childless. The rest of FP is basically a working class inner ring suburb.

Another word of caution Bellerose Village is very cliquey.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:02 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
My first house was in Bellerose Village. Probably the nicest area in Floral Park. A few thoughts - remember there are no electric fences around Bellrose Village that separate the nicer parts of Floral Park Nassau from the worse parts of Bellerose Queens.

The schools are adequate. The only place I would ever live in Floral Park would be Bellerose Village. A pretty mini-Garden City with lovely 1920s homes. The problem is Bellrose Village - like Garden City - is in a sea of not so nice areas.

I would only live there with very young children, or if childless. The rest of FP is basically a working class inner ring suburb.

Another word of caution Bellerose Village is very cliquey.
I looked in both Bellerose village and Floral Park. I liked both places but did not find a house I wanted in either town. Bellerose is really beautiful and unique, but parts of Floral Park are beautiful, too, particularly the "West End". I definitely got a bit of a blue collar vibe in Floral Park, but not in a bad way, and there's definitely more to the village than that. I like the architecture, the downtown and the tree-lined streets, not to mention the LIRR access.

There's nothing near Bellerose Village and Floral Park comparable to Hempstead. Bellerose (Queens) and Floral Park (Queens) are both perfectly nice and have always been nice. A large influx of Indian immigrants over the years, but these are really quite safe and pleasant areas.

Maybe you are concerned about Queens Village? I may be wrong about this, but I do not think Queens Village actually borders on Bellerose or Floral Park. It's definitely "blue collar", but it's not really anything like Hempstead and is nothing to worry about. I feel the same way about Elmont, if that's also a concern. It's "blue collar" but fine.

I've heard the same about Floral Park schools, though; that they are "fine". Taxes in Floral Park imply something more than "fine". Oddly taxes in Bellerose seemed more reasonable for what you get, and that would be the same school district as Floral Park proper.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:25 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
I looked in both Bellerose village and Floral Park. I liked both places but did not find a house I wanted in either town. Bellerose is really beautiful and unique, but parts of Floral Park are beautiful, too, particularly the "West End". I definitely got a bit of a blue collar vibe in Floral Park, but not in a bad way, and there's definitely more to the village than that. I like the architecture, the downtown and the tree-lined streets, not to mention the LIRR access.

There's nothing near Bellerose Village and Floral Park comparable to Hempstead. Bellerose (Queens) and Floral Park (Queens) are both perfectly nice and have always been nice. A large influx of Indian immigrants over the years, but these are really quite safe and pleasant areas.

Maybe you are concerned about Queens Village? I may be wrong about this, but I do not think Queens Village actually borders on Bellerose or Floral Park. It's definitely "blue collar", but it's not really anything like Hempstead and is nothing to worry about. I feel the same way about Elmont, if that's also a concern. It's "blue collar" but fine.

I've heard the same about Floral Park schools, though; that they are "fine". Taxes in Floral Park imply something more than "fine". Oddly taxes in Bellerose seemed more reasonable for what you get, and that would be the same school district as Floral Park proper.
Side note: I've always been curious about how much Long Islanders worry about being "near" bad areas. The Upper East Side borders Harlem. Directly. And not a particularly nice part of it. The same can be said all over the very richest parts of Brooklyn and Queens. Not that I'd particularly want to live on 96th street itself, but the reality is that most locations on Long Island that are "near" bad areas are at least many blocks away. Unless you are literally right ON the border, why worry about it?

Old 06-05-2016, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,028 times
Um y'all need to calm down. Floral Park is an ideal neighborhood. With a rec center, newly renovated pool, and great schools I don't know what you are complaining about. Yes it is a little pricy I can understand that but you are forgetting all the things you can't put a price on. Kids can ride bikes up and down the block without parents worried if there going to get kidnapped! Also I'm glad that Tulip ave ISN'T commercialized. When you arrive in Floral Park it's like stepping back in thime to when life was much simpler. Everyone knows everyone and is respectful to one another. That you cannot put a price on. I am glad to be raised in Floral Park. Ok I see your point with the Bellmont Stakes but that is ONCE A YEAR. As a proud citizen I know that Floral Park is indeed a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island