Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:20 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyflyforawhiteguy View Post
This is the LI forum, not the Tarnation forum or the city comparison forum. I don't know why you people refuse to follow city-data.com terms of service.
Translation: "I can't come up with anything better than Long Island makes a great suburb of New York City, so please stop making me think hard to come up with something else."

So Fly, Is it arrogance that allows LIers to state" Those that leave , leave only because they cant afford it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 11:59 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
The issue I have with any of these discussions (read - urination contests) is that Long Island isn't a consistent QoL place unto itself - it is not the same experience regardless of where you live on the island... I can name many many towns that I would never raise a family - somehow areas that you don't drive through at night let alone live in are forgotten completely as relevant to the discussion. Can you really say you're living in "the suburbs of the greatest city in the world" in Mastique? or Shirley... or Medford... or Riverhead... or on and on and on. Those middle of the road towns... I mean seriously, Ronkonkoma really lights the charts as QoL! Others will say the same thing about Tarnation and TX and <insert popular transplant state> - it's unavoidable.

In the end, it's too easy to generalize on both sides and we all take some liberties (or pokes) at each other - expats vs. the natives. But for me the affordability question goes back to your personal situation - it's not something you can plug into an algorithm. Many of the transplants that left can afford to live on LI - heck I could have done it easily if I chose to live in a borderline ghetto of rundown streets and houses (yet still called "good" for schools by many here).

It's hard to argue a couple of key points specific to this thread. LI in general is not the same place it was 20 years ago... a LI that many think of when they refer to where they live... and it has not been changes for the positive. Secondly, I think it's more then fair for expats to come back here and offer opinions. I've never "bragged" about the size of my home, yet it is assumed I moved to live in a McMansion (I don't and didn't). However, I have lived on LI and lived elsewhere - I base my opinions on that practical experience. I don't generalize on what I may have seen on a visit... or what I read on a web site... or what others told me. This is something that only the expats can offer here and why I (and assume others) still post here.

If you all were being perfectly honest here, the cruelest and meanest posting here about how bad LI is comes from the Nassau vs. Suffdump posting of NATIVE LIers bashing each other... This is where the real venom is when you read these boards long enough. Says quite a bit by itself.
Wish I could rep this x10!!! Where did you move?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:20 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
The issue I have with any of these discussions (read - urination contests) is that Long Island isn't a consistent QoL place unto itself - it is not the same experience regardless of where you live on the island... I can name many many towns that I would never raise a family - somehow areas that you don't drive through at night let alone live in are forgotten completely as relevant to the discussion. Can you really say you're living in "the suburbs of the greatest city in the world" in Mastique? or Shirley... or Medford... or Riverhead... or on and on and on. Those middle of the road towns... I mean seriously, Ronkonkoma really lights the charts as QoL! Others will say the same thing about Tarnation and TX and <insert popular transplant state> - it's unavoidable.

In the end, it's too easy to generalize on both sides and we all take some liberties (or pokes) at each other - expats vs. the natives. But for me the affordability question goes back to your personal situation - it's not something you can plug into an algorithm. Many of the transplants that left can afford to live on LI - heck I could have done it easily if I chose to live in a borderline ghetto of rundown streets and houses (yet still called "good" for schools by many here).

It's hard to argue a couple of key points specific to this thread. LI in general is not the same place it was 20 years ago... a LI that many think of when they refer to where they live... and it has not been changes for the positive. Secondly, I think it's more then fair for expats to come back here and offer opinions. I've never "bragged" about the size of my home, yet it is assumed I moved to live in a McMansion (I don't and didn't). However, I have lived on LI and lived elsewhere - I base my opinions on that practical experience. I don't generalize on what I may have seen on a visit... or what I read on a web site... or what others told me. This is something that only the expats can offer here and why I (and assume others) still post here.

If you all were being perfectly honest here, the cruelest and meanest posting here about how bad LI is comes from the Nassau vs. Suffdump posting of NATIVE LIers bashing each other... This is where the real venom is when you read these boards long enough. Says quite a bit by itself.

Because the Metro Charlotte area is a paradise on earth right? With no bad areas, no gangs, and no bad schools? Seriously, what you described above could be said about any metro area, even those in your beloved NC. Mediocre and "bad" towns exist everywhere.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:46 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyflyforawhiteguy View Post
This is the LI forum, not the Tarnation forum or the city comparison forum. I don't know why you people refuse to follow city-data.com terms of service.
I think that "whooosh" you felt go over far over your head was the point you missed.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:26 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,703 times
Quote:

Medford is not a bad town to live. Actually drive through it one day . I live here and its a great place to live. I have witnessed less crime here then were I work in huntington. Huntington especially on these boards is one of those i dream of living places . just recently somebody was shot at night on main street , and the chase bank is robbed atleast once a year (its not in the news because the people here cover it up). Here in medford iam 20 minutes away from port jeff village, 10 minutes away from patchogue village and 20 min or so away from riverhead and the start of sound avenue.

Medford is one of those places thats dumped on for no reason.

He

Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 PM

70 posts, read 95,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Translation: "I can't come up with anything better than Long Island makes a great suburb of New York City, so please stop making me think hard to come up with something else."

So Fly, Is it arrogance that allows LIers to state" Those that leave , leave only because they cant afford it?

Its not arrogance its boredom

Old 07-20-2012, 06:00 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
That is really sad if you find Long Island boring. Try living in like rural KY or something. We have it GOOD.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:36 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
Medford is not a bad town to live. Actually drive through it one day . I live here and its a great place to live. I have witnessed less crime here then were I work in huntington. Huntington especially on these boards is one of those i dream of living places . just recently somebody was shot at night on main street , and the chase bank is robbed atleast once a year (its not in the news because the people here cover it up). Here in medford iam 20 minutes away from port jeff village, 10 minutes away from patchogue village and 20 min or so away from riverhead and the start of sound avenue.

Medford is one of those places thats dumped on for no reason.

He
I lived in Medford for 8 years. Our development, while it was gorgeous, manicured lawns etc and gave the illusion that people were friendly etc. My children had not one friend there. Yes, some of it was our fault as they went to parochial school and didnt ride the bus with the kids in the area. But after 8 years, you would think that they would have had even one friend ; nope.

People were angry. Boy were they angry. One neighbour was a complainer and would run to the town for the slightest infraction even if he was wrong. Then we sold to a agency who will house 6 austic girls in the house. Oh boy, did we rock the boat then. I got emails saying that I was so wrong to sell to this agency and all it would do was bring the values down for the rest of the neighbors. It was the only offer I got and also the rest of the homes take 3 years to sell. Dont these autistic kids deserve a place to live? In actual fact, the agency never wants complaints so they do their utmost to maintain the homes.

Then the taxes ; we were in the highest fire tax rate in the state. We paid 4-5 times higher than any other area ; yes, our fire taxes were $2500 a year!!

So While Medford has its pristine lawns, it is relatively safe ; its not perfect. Nowwhere is perfect.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:57 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I lived in Medford for 8 years. Our development, while it was gorgeous, manicured lawns etc and gave the illusion that people were friendly etc. My children had not one friend there. Yes, some of it was our fault as they went to parochial school and didnt ride the bus with the kids in the area. But after 8 years, you would think that they would have had even one friend ; nope.

People were angry. Boy were they angry. One neighbour was a complainer and would run to the town for the slightest infraction even if he was wrong. Then we sold to a agency who will house 6 austic girls in the house. Oh boy, did we rock the boat then. I got emails saying that I was so wrong to sell to this agency and all it would do was bring the values down for the rest of the neighbors. It was the only offer I got and also the rest of the homes take 3 years to sell. Dont these autistic kids deserve a place to live? In actual fact, the agency never wants complaints so they do their utmost to maintain the homes.

Then the taxes ; we were in the highest fire tax rate in the state. We paid 4-5 times higher than any other area ; yes, our fire taxes were $2500 a year!!

So While Medford has its pristine lawns, it is relatively safe ; its not perfect. Nowwhere is perfect.
Fire taxes? Never heard of fire taxes. Property taxes, but not fire taxes.

I think people are generally hostile in the metropolitan area. Between the crowding, poor economy and very high taxes, people are getting it from all sides. You just have watch how people drive, locally and on the highways. Last night, some dude went air-born in his car on the service road of Exit 53 of the LIE, hitting a 7-11. Cops pressed no charges and found no indication of drugs or alcohol. Apparently, he was going to miss his exit! So, his pregnant wife and daughter are critical at Stony Brook. This is not normal driving, it's insanity. Whether this guy is a good driver or not (probably not), a sane, calm person does not do this with their car. I bring it up because this is not an isolated incident. When I commute to work on the parkway, it's like I'm driving in a Mad-Max movie. I like to think of it as the other drivers will ********* before you screw them. Sad, really. And no way to live.

I've driven 000's of miles in CA and can tell you I've not encountered such nutjobs on their hwys.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:59 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
That is really sad if you find Long Island boring. Try living in like rural KY or something. We have it GOOD.
What do you do that's so exciting? LI is mostly shopping and dining out. There's the occassional beach day, but after a day recently at RMSP, I'd rather not deal with the tremendous litter. NYC maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island