Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 AM

257 posts, read 751,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
Also, maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't the GC know or have a go to guy for this sort of thing? Its one thing to have a real architect that you select involved in a full dormer, for this....
The $4000 estimate was from the architect my GC generall works with, but he said I could shop it around...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 08:31 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
The GC quotes by the square foot and then adds on from there. It isn't rocket science.

The OP should consider using the GC for permits and drawings. Technically you cannot even get a permit without presenting plans.
$4000 is insane, either use the GC's or find another architect.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:31 PM

67 posts, read 150,755 times
Default $4,000.00 wow

Ladibug1026,

$4,000.00 is much to high in cost for a bath dormer.

I sent you PM.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:08 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
Uh oh, it looks like the architect business is getting slow out there!

Old 05-11-2011, 06:39 PM

257 posts, read 751,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Uh oh, it looks like the architect business is getting slow out there!
Fine by me!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:12 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
$3000 to hire an independent for us, was going to be under $2k if we had used my GC's but by then it was too late. Full dormer plus re-working of 1st floor. $4k is ridiculous for what you need.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:46 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,286 times
Send me a DM, I'll do your plan (fit for submission) in Autocad, to spec and ready for presentation to a licensed architect for his stamp.
Soley, for the pleasure of proving that unless you've sat in the draftsman's seat and hammered-out blueprints, you really don't know $**t. it never
was the cost of having plans prepared by competent draftsmen, we know our business. It is more like the constraints of the various agencies who
sustain themselves by the very nature of their public authority. We all wipe our butts with paper, yes? Well, the town requires their share of paper
too, the clerks and the self-sustaining administrators of building policy, need to assert their power over us. architects across this blighted state,
have folded up their tents, like ornamental plasterers, they wallow in the tarpits of antiquated yesteryear, a dead issue in a State and a time that
has lost all respect for the profession of architecture. Anyone can find a drafting service to lay down the proper linework that the town building
department can begin to review in the earnest desire to justify their own existence, a smart detailer will prepare a set of plans which are conclusive,
often totally devoid of ambiguity and fully, code-conforming, the secret is to understand that much like the proof of the pudding, or just beauty itself,
whatever is arrived at, is in the hands and the eyes of the building department, the bureaucratic beholder.

Did you ever wonder about the credentials of people like DaVinci, or Tesla or Frank Loydd Wright? These fellows were not encumbered by town
codes, unions, variances or conformity to a point of excess, they were free to express their ideas in a society that was more concerned with doing the
right thing, than allowing themselves to be cowed into submission to administrative dogma, the sorely overwritten constraint that one faces in a quest
to better their property and reasonably improve their existence in society. I suppose that if it were legal to live in a house that more closely resembled
a shack in Guatemala, the zeal of our guardian agencies would seem to be in order. A 4' x 5' bathroom in a overtaxed home on Long Island? I think that
somewhere there in local government there is a clerk who is well paid to strain out the gnat and gulp down the camel. Some of architecture's best latter-
day creations, have been sketched upon the back of cocktail napkins, I mean we're not talking the pyramids here, are we? Any good general contractor
will have a source for compiling finished plans, if he doesn't, he's not on top of his game. Behind every good builder there's a great draftsman who stands
ready to set down in the language of lines and shades, elevations and details, plans and specifications, fit to get the job done. We may still long to ply our
craft, to lay down the lines and execute the blueprints but today we do so in a whirlpool of legal encumbrance, that so often leads us to accepting the fact
that it doesn't really pay, to improve oneself.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,118 times
Chris
thanks for the great input.
You provided great info

Old 08-09-2015, 11:39 AM

300 posts, read 553,373 times
You do need an architect! Yes this is a basic job and your GC will know how to do this from years of experience but the reason you need an architect is so you don't get a stop work order from performing work illegally. Also because it will save you the cost of maintaining the construction later if you decide to sell your house or do other permitted work.

I did plans for a small bathroom dormer recently. Cost client $2,800 for plans. Client paid for permits and survey. I also went down to the town and dealt with filing and picking up final permit.

Shop around for another price. What architect did you use?

Also, $12,000 seems cheap for construction cost though. I be more scared of that.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:02 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
You do need an architect! Yes this is a basic job and your GC will know how to do this from years of experience but the reason you need an architect is so you don't get a stop work order from performing work illegally. Also because it will save you the cost of maintaining the construction later if you decide to sell your house or do other permitted work.

I did plans for a small bathroom dormer recently. Cost client $2,800 for plans. Client paid for permits and survey. I also went down to the town and dealt with filing and picking up final permit.

Shop around for another price. What architect did you use?

Also, $12,000 seems cheap for construction cost though. I be more scared of that.

This was a four year old post. Hopefully the OP's bathroom is completed by now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island