Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will The Islanders-Nassau County August 1 Referendum Pass
Yes 12 35.29%
No 16 47.06%
Don't Know 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 10:28 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I am hanging on as tight as I can!

Let Wang pay the $48 for all of us. It's his team. Not owned by us. He's a billionaire. We aren't.

Where is that Republican NIMBY COW when we need her? I bet she's been paid off somehow to keep her trap shut this time. I will be voting against that sea cow (my apologies to the manatees) at the next opportunity.
Exactly. if this idea is going to be such a big money maker, wouldn't he want to finance it himself and then keep all of the profits?

Stadiums/arenas have proven to be a money loser when they're publicly financed NEARLY EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Not to mention the theory that any sales tax revenue generated from the new arena will just be cannibalizing existing revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Exactly. if this idea is going to be such a big money maker, wouldn't he want to finance it himself and then keep all of the profits?

Stadiums/arenas have proven to be a money loser when they're publicly financed NEARLY EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Not to mention the theory that any sales tax revenue generated from the new arena will just be cannibalizing existing revenue.
That's exactly what the owner of the LA Kings did, he went out an got a loan from a bank for around $300M and gave another investor a partnership, then he got the Lakers & Clippers. They were losing $5M a year in the early 90's now they are extremely profitable.

You stated the obvious, if it's such a great deal let Wang find some investors and make it a private enterprise.

Article below from 2004 but gives you an idea how some of these owners use leverage to get some real estate developments around their arenas, not to mention some creative accounting where they don't include cable contracts in their profits.
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2004/1129/124.html

More recent article from 2010, almost half the teams are losing money and this is going to be the centerpiece of a taxpayer funded stadium?

The Business Of Hockey, 2010

Old 05-26-2011, 06:07 AM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Its a good thing putting this to a vote but after all this time they waste $2M for a special vote in August, they can't wait 3 months after all these years?

"The discussion was preceded earlier in the day by a rally on the steps of the Legislature, where Mangano joined other supporters of the project — mainly union laborers and Islanders fans. Many of the supporters had left, however, by the time the subject of the Coliseum came up — four hours into the meeting."

County Legislature discusses Coliseum plan - West Hempstead - LIHerald.com - Nassau County's source for local news, breaking news, sports, entertainment & shopping=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island