Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:53 PM

481 posts, read 1,061,333 times

Advertisements

I'll tell you why I didn't vote.
Every year I get a letter telling me that if the budget is voted down, the tax rate would go up something like +21%, otherwise it'll be around +5%. They tell you it's all about the contingency funds, and how they'll use them if the budget is approved. This should be illegal since they're basically forcing a 'yes' vote with funds (I'm guessing) that were gotten from previous years. Next year it'll be the same thing and I can't say that I completely understand it.
So there you have it. Screwed either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 04:39 PM

929 posts, read 2,069,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
I'll tell you why I didn't vote.
Every year I get a letter telling me that if the budget is voted down, the tax rate would go up something like +21%, otherwise it'll be around +5%. They tell you it's all about the contingency funds, and how they'll use them if the budget is approved. This should be illegal since they're basically forcing a 'yes' vote with funds (I'm guessing) that were gotten from previous years. Next year it'll be the same thing and I can't say that I completely understand it.
So there you have it. Screwed either way.
I wonder who developed this program of contingency funds and where it is written that they can only used them if the budget is approved?

Old 05-18-2011, 05:25 PM

57,390 posts, read 26,302,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
Not everyone can take 30-45 minutes out of their day depending on their circumstances. As stated earlier, I personally was out of the state on business....I wanted to vote. Many other people in my office are out on vacation as well. Just saying having to show up in person to vote is like having to go to the library to do research in this day and age....just stupid.
They have absentee ballots, all you have to do is fill out a form and mail it to the district.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
It would be easy to set up a web based system but so far wherever they have tried (in "hanging chad-land") they have been rife with problems. I'm sure it will cost a pretty penny to implement which would probably be voted down right now in any referendum on it. There is absentee ballot info on the front page of my districts website.

My district went @ 2900 votes Yes, 2500 No. I think that's a pretty fair representation of the angry and the not quite as angry but not happy!
The unions and employees are much more organized, they have much more to gain and the numbers have increased in every district. Administrative support, part timers, teachers and the HS 18 year olds that are voting age make up a pretty sizeable contingent. Another part of it is people that just do not want to see the budget go austerity. They can easily steer an election when you have only 15% voting, same case in the villages and towns.

Like the saying goes, nothing does more damage than the indifferent. People spend countless hours on useless things like face book and fantasy pools than and can't devote 20 minutes to civic issues. There's another link on the LI site where people view jury duty as a waste of time, and they wonder why society is going down hill.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:42 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,064,235 times
Just a theory to throw out there, going on gut feeling, no formal research done...

Singles, childless couples and seniors may not get out to vote. Singles, especially younger ones have their hands full making their way in the world or may be too self absorbed to have the time or be bothered. Same for childless couples, seniors may not be able to get out to vote. Thus the population that least stands to benefit and arguably are the most negatively impacted by a budget passing don't vote.

People with children are much more apt to turn out to vote, also anyone in the education industry including district superintendents, principals, vice principals, teachers, bus drivers, janitors, grounds maintenance, etc. etc. will also be prone to voting. In addition, relatives of said people (their husbands or wives, voting aged children, brothers and sisters, parents, etc.) may get out the vote to support their loved ones. Someone in the education industry can be the tip of a voting iceberg.

The bottom line being people vote their self interests and motivation level for the most part. I think the first group of people do not have as much direct self interest and motivation, it's derivation would be more abstract thus harder to manifest even though the voting results could impact them to a larger degree.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:46 PM

324 posts, read 335,646 times
It also helps that the increases were very modest. If they can keep the increases at these same levels for years to come we will be OK... And we have the best public schools in the country... Win win!

Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Just a theory to throw out there, going on gut feeling, no formal research done...

Singles, childless couples and seniors may not get out to vote. Singles, especially younger ones have their hands full making their way in the world or may be too self absorbed to have the time or be bothered. Same for childless couples, seniors may not be able to get out to vote. Thus the population that least stands to benefit and arguably are the most negatively impacted by a budget passing don't vote.

People with children are much more apt to turn out to vote, also anyone in the education industry including district superintendents, principals, vice principals, teachers, bus drivers, janitors, grounds maintenance, etc. etc. will also be prone to voting. In addition, relatives of said people (their husbands or wives, voting aged children, brothers and sisters, parents, etc.) may get out the vote to support their loved ones. Someone in the education industry can be the tip of a voting iceberg.

The bottom line being people vote their self interests and motivation level for the most part. I think the first group of people do not have as much direct self interest and motivation, it's derivation would be more abstract thus harder to manifest even though the voting results could impact them to a larger degree.
It's not a theory, very few parents with children in school will vote against a budget. Its's a simple calulation when the numbers come out, multiply the number of students times 2 and see how many votes. That needs to be adjusted down for 1 parent families, multiple children, relatives but should be a rough indication.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 PM

929 posts, read 2,069,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post

Oh, the question of whether the balance is tipped in the school's favor is easily answered. They hold the vote at the school. It's like holding the presidential election at the Young Republican's HQ. Additionally, the people who vote are the one with the largest potential gain/loss.

When they threaten to cancel music and sports they get every parent with a child in one of those programs to jump up and vote. Especially on Long Island where so many parents use those after school programs to keep their kids busy while they come home from work.

That coupled with all the school employees who also live in the town and their family who rely on their income means that the average taxpayer has an uphill battle. Plus, they've had decades to rig the system so that the taxpayer has no choice but to vote for the budget, or else they get hit with the contingency budget and the school takes your money (reserve funds) and doesn't allow you to use it.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:15 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,692,013 times
NY Needs to become a right to work state so the unions will have less power and teachers can compete for the jobs.Nuff said!

Old 05-19-2011, 05:00 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,749,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
It's not always a matter of cro-bar'ing one's a*s off of the couch to vote. Yesterday, I was out of the state. Since the technology is there to prevent my having to vote in person, I was unable to cast my annual "no" vote. I'm sure other people also on vacations, business trips, etc. feel a little screwed by the archaic set up as well.
What about requesting an Absentee ballot for such instances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island