Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:15 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times

Advertisements

Im confused. So you're saying that they quality of life would be less if you moved off LI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Haha, too funny. Like everything is about money. Sometimes quality of life as well as value play roles too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 11:51 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Im confused. So you're saying that they quality of life would be less if you moved off LI?
I'm confused on how you're confused. Are you equating quality of life with money, or lack of it?

You boiled the whole subject of people leaving LI to not being able to afford to stay. I'm saying other intangable factors are involved as well as wanting more value for your dollar - not just "big houses".

Old 05-25-2011, 12:06 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Yeah I gues you could say that the lack of money would make the quality of my life less. (not that I have a ton of money or anything) What Im basically saying is why would someone stay here on LI unhappy and knowing you will never ever be able to afford the american dream, if they want that? I know I could never afford NYC or the gold coast so therfore I dont live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I'm confused on how you're confused. Are you equating quality of life with money, or lack of it?

You boiled the whole subject of people leaving LI to not being able to afford to stay. I'm saying other intangable factors are involved as well as wanting more value for your dollar - not just "big houses".

Old 05-25-2011, 12:06 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,756,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I don't even know where to begin with this hot mess

If you believe that the Police officer's are overpaid ....then you have to believe your wife is overpaid

Everything is inflated on L.I. form the salaries to taxes to the homes, etc

I have absolutely no problem with you or anyone agreeing with me or not.

School on L.I. are very good but they do come at a premium. I say the schools are just as good if not better by me for 1/10 the cost but again that's my opinion. Not an AGENDA. You may agree or you may not...that's your right.

I find that people that complain all the time are not happy....My father use to say " Don't complain...live your life."

And P.S. don't lump me up with anyone including L/E.....I'm unique with my own views
It's funny you say that since I noticed you lived near Richmond. I actually moved to C'ville in the 4th grade and lived there until I started junior high, when we moved back to the Bronx to live with my uncle.

When I started public school in Virginia I was actually a full year ahead of the other students. And I went to school in the NYC Public Schools, so it wasnt even LI. When I went back to NYC I was fairly well behind the other students, not like I failed or anything but I think people forget how good the school system really is up here compared to the rest of the country.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:36 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It's not just the prices it's the taxes....like someone else said when you realize that by the time you retire, your monthly tax payment will be the same as your mortgage was, you have to start wondering what's the point. We calculated that our taxes would be between $18K-$24K by the time we retire. $2000 a month in taxes, just to pay for someone else's retirement? No thanks. I'd rather it go in my own retirement coffers.

People are burying their heads in the sand about this issue and thinking that the government is actually going to do something about it
. Not gonna happen.
I agree govt has not been looking out for us in the past...but things can change.
Look at Mangano's policies so far, no tax increases in sight...even NYS and the gov is listening. But I fear this may be too little too late if a collapse of some sort were to happen in the NY pension system.

Cuomo to Propose Changes to New York State Pension System - Bloomberg

Officials: Cuomo proposes cost-cutting NY pension - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/APa534c5713d80481692912d0a8cb863e4.html - broken link)

Quote:
Cuomo's proposal would increase the retirement age to 65 for all public employees hired after the law was passed. It would also end early retirement, force employees to pay twice as much toward their pension, and end the "padding" of pensions through overtime pay, sick time and other means.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:41 PM

398 posts, read 838,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I agree govt has not been looking out for us in the past...but things can change.
Look at Mangano's policies so far, no tax increases in sight...even NYS and the gov is listening. But I fear this may be too little too late if a collapse of some sort were to happen in the NY pension system.

Cuomo to Propose Changes to New York State Pension System - Bloomberg

Officials: Cuomo proposes cost-cutting NY pension - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/APa534c5713d80481692912d0a8cb863e4.html - broken link)

A little too late, but let's hope this gets implemented.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:45 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Yes, I understand most of what you are saying, but how can a couple in their late 20's or early 30's afford a 500K home!?....Even 400K......and for that money you do not get much.....maybe an old ranch or a 2 story split that needs ALOT of work....

Whereas if you go to Florida or the Carolinas you can get a brand new 4 bedroom colonial for about 250-300K or so....

I think the only people buying these houses on LI are rich people who live in the city with high paying jobs and want to come out to the suburbs where it is "quieter"...

IMO, housing prices on LI should be about 20-30% lower than where they are now, to reflect what the rest of the country looks like....

So that 500K house should be about 350.....
It would be silly to compare housing in different LI towns, let alone comparing LI to SC or FL !! All real estate is local. I posted a question to you on the first page what is the reason you are not jumping on those cheap houses in FL & SC ? I'm not understanding why they are so cheap (or perceived to be cheap) compared to LI.. I think you will answer the question yourself if you really think about it.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:46 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I hope something changes too, for everyone's sake in NY.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:01 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I dont understand what you're saying...why do you need a 500k home? These houses in other states for 250-300k come with jobs that pay 40-50k. Do the math..its all the same at the end of the equation. Well unless you bought a house on LI 15 years ago and have some sweet equity to take with you out of state.
Its not all the same, its exponentially higher.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:59 PM

324 posts, read 335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
That's why I'll live here, but I won't buy here. What you get isn't worth the money you pay. Just my opinion. Your fixer-upper may vary.
Moderator cut: comment removed

Long Island is worth it if you value family life, education for your children, and access to just about everything. Over the course of 30 years buying is a much better route to take than renting. But if you can't afford to buy, then I guess it's easier to say LI isn't worth it than admit the reality.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-25-2011 at 06:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island