Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,875 times

Advertisements

I'm Black. My Wife is Spanish. Our Kids are beautiful. ;-)
We're are 2 medical professionals, doc and RN, respectively.
We currently live in Floral Queens but feel very out of place (to our suprise after we moved there) - most of our neighbors are indian or chinese and they do not seem too inviting to a mixed couple/family (just my opinion). (I often stand in my front yard with my kids and get stared at - and I tell them i'm NOT the gardener... I own the house! most don't understand English so get no repy anyway... just more stares. lol) Anyway, we'd like to raise our children in a diverse, culturally accepting/sensitive, educated and well meaning neighborhoood (maybe we're asking for too much???) Anyone have an opinion about towns on LI that may fit the bill (or close to it?). THANK YOU

J and V
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 11:30 AM

51 posts, read 107,985 times
Thats sad. One would think by now that this would be a thing of the past. Maybe those people are projecting their fears on you because of their own insecurities. Either way I've lived in Port Jefferson Station pretty much all my life and it is diverse here. There are also three hospitals withing five miles. Good Luck

Old 05-27-2011, 11:36 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
simonj07, it may prove helpful to know where you and your wife work in order to make suggestions about which county and further which city, village or hamlet in that county you should be looking to move to.

Separately, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 05-27-2011, 11:51 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
It's not working out for you in Queens ? and you think you'll have a better reception on L.I. ? You're a Doctor and your wife is a nurse May I suggest Garden City. Upscale professional people live there. You'll love it

Old 05-27-2011, 12:18 PM

324 posts, read 335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
It's not working out for you in Queens ? and you think you'll have a better reception on L.I. ? You're a Doctor and your wife is a nurse May I suggest Garden City. Upscale professional people live there. You'll love it

the OP wants a culturally diverse community and Garden City is not diverse.

You've moved off LI 4 years ago, stick to giving bad advice about Midnowheresville because you obviously are ignorant of LI now that you don't live here anymore

Old 05-27-2011, 12:29 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post

the OP wants a culturally diverse community and Garden City is not diverse.

You've moved off LI 4 years ago, stick to giving bad advice about Midnowheresville because you obviously are ignorant of LI now that you don't live here anymore

I don't know what worse ? You not seeing through the OP's comments or my answer...

Old 05-27-2011, 12:33 PM

324 posts, read 335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I don't know what worse ? You not seeing through the OP's comments or my answer...
Ah just stirring the pot again? Yep seems like a busy life in Midnowheresville.

OP, Garden City is not a viable option, but Port Washington may meet your needs

Old 05-27-2011, 02:28 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonj07 View Post
I'm Black. My Wife is Spanish. Our Kids are beautiful. ;-)
We're are 2 medical professionals, doc and RN, respectively.
We currently live in Floral Queens but feel very out of place (to our suprise after we moved there) - most of our neighbors are indian or chinese and they do not seem too inviting to a mixed couple/family (just my opinion). (I often stand in my front yard with my kids and get stared at - and I tell them i'm NOT the gardener... I own the house! most don't understand English so get no repy anyway... just more stares. lol) Anyway, we'd like to raise our children in a diverse, culturally accepting/sensitive, educated and well meaning neighborhoood (maybe we're asking for too much???) Anyone have an opinion about towns on LI that may fit the bill (or close to it?). THANK YOU

J and V
Hempstead or Roosevelt.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:44 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,330,330 times
Try some of the towns in Southwestern Nassau

Like Elmont, the Valley Streams and North Baldwin (all are diverse and have good schools to the best of my knowledge)

If you be a little more specific we can help you narrow it down a little. What is your price range? How diverse to your prefer? How far out on the Island do you want to move?

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 05-27-2011 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 02:48 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
This is the beauty of diversity..even thw diverse cant get along.

Doctor and nurse.. Move to undiverse Massapequa..you will be welcomed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island