Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
That's a pretty good one. You have cash on hand to fill the boat with fuel? Or do you keep the tanks full?
Both plus guns and ammo.

Since 9/11 I have kept a large, rotating stock of canned goods, pasta, rice, and bottled water as well after having witnessed many people swarming to the market while trying to come to terms with what was occurring that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 06:59 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
Got plenty of guns and ammo..will take what I need.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandAintThatBad View Post
Go to an Islander game.
If it is a Katrina-esque disaster, chances are many will be seeking shelter there -- not unlike the Superdome.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:02 PM

25 posts, read 34,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If it is a Katrina-esque disaster, chances are many will be seeking shelter there -- not unlike the Superdome.
The Islanders are a Katrina-esque disaster.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:15 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,330,330 times
Quote:
So let's say a giant disaster hits LI, not necessarily a hurricane but something as destructive as Katrina. It doesn't matter what specifically. Your house is intact but neighborhood is a mess, no electricity, water still works, gas still works. You have limited cash and no ATMs are functioning and no banks are open. All the local stores are pretty well empty of food and supplies after a few days, gas stations are empty as well. No deliveries can come in because the bridges and tunnels are closed until they can be thoroughly inspected for safety, this also means you can't easily get out. There are intermittent supply drops from the government and they are setting up camps for people who've lost their homes. This continues for weeks at least. You are now low on food and the water is becoming increasingly unpleasant and seems to be coming slower from the faucet. What do you do? Stay put? Go to a government camp? Try to get off LI somehow? What would you do?
Steal a boat and GTFO

Old 08-01-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandAintThatBad View Post
The Islanders are a Katrina-esque disaster.
So true!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:19 PM

330 posts, read 726,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Got plenty of guns and ammo..will take what I need.
It's more than likely that everyone in Massapequa Park will shoot each other over front yard gardens and awnings built sans permit so people outside Massapequa Park need not worry about you GP.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:27 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
Quote:
It's more than likely that everyone in Massapequa Park will shoot each other over front yard gardens and awnings built sans permit so people outside Massapequa Park need not worry about you GP.
I might be in Rocky Point. The best they can afford there is a cheap switchblade. I probably will go over Crooks house and demand his Cocoa Puffs.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:43 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I might be in Rocky Point. The best they can afford there is a cheap switchblade. I probably will go over Crooks house and demand his Cocoa Puffs.

You can watch the show from my roof Gps.

If the waters up to my gutters, Pequa would be a Fucco Atlantis.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:25 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,195 times
We have a large supply of non-perishable food on hand, (my grandmother also has a serios amount of rotated canned goods at her home 5 minutes away) I have a garden filled with various edible plants and a small flock of chickens that are good for a half dozen eggs a day. We have a generator that can power part of my home but most importantly our well, so we would have clean water.
We have a wide variety of firearms and an abundance of ammo, if we were running out of food the thousands of deer/ turkeys that live on the state land around my property would become food. We'd also start eating the freshwater bass we usually catch and release in the lake across the street from my house.
We have a pretty large supply of gasoline and we always keep at least one of our vehicles nearly full of fuel. My Prius gets about 45mpg so even a gallon or two could get us off the island.
Since Katrina my husband has had enough plywood and supplies in one of our sheds to fabricate hurricane shutters for all of our windows and doors and whole house tarps. We actually have extra so these items would become something we could trade for fuel or food. My husband could also trade his tools, his labor or some of our ammo for food or fuel.
If this event were to occur in the winter we'd have at least a 1/2 ton of wood pellets for our stove plus whatever heating oil was in our tank.
Our plan is to sit tight, the biggest challenge is to get our children(they are adults) here quickly. The other problem is limiting the number of extended family members we take in, our supplies would not last long with more than 5 or 6 people.
If for some reason the city was ok and we could get there our plan we be to board up the house, grab our kids, animals and grandmother and head to our apartment in midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island