Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 04:24 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Yep, and today the bus waits for the kid to appear , then waits again as the kid drags him/herself down the driveway.
Great way to teach them responsibility.
Jes - what happened to walking to the bus stop every AM and hanging out with the other kids while you waited for the bus? Maybe spend the time flipping baseball cards - doing some (late) homework - copying your friends homework (only in a pinch) - getting into the occasional fight - etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 07:46 AM

50 posts, read 102,378 times
I remember having a bus driver in high school that favored the boys over the girls. We didn't have that many kids on our route because kids in the district went to 3 different high schools (with the high school I chose being the least popular) so most kids got picked up in front of their house or at the very nearest corner.

For the boys, she would stop in front of the house and wait, beep, wait....wait......etc.
For the girls, if they were not standing out there at the moment she drove by, oh well.

I remember the time she got to the corner where 2 sisters would wait for the bus. It was a dead end street so getting out required a 3-point turn. The 2 girls weren't at the corner, so as the bus started to turn around and leave, one of the kids on the bus spotted the girls running towards the corner to catch the bus. When the bus driver was told this, she just said "Too bad, they weren't here on time" and drove away.

Yet she would patiently sit in front of the boy's houses if they were running a little late.

She eventually got in trouble for the favoritism when one of the parents called the school and complained.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:53 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
And if the tables were turned I bet there would be more than "getting in trouble" for that bus driver...

Old 08-19-2011, 01:52 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
I hear you , Coney, but do not understand the sense of entitlement some parents have today. I know they are paying $4000 to farm their kids off to summer camp but at least make sure they are ready !
I could not agree with you more! It makes everyone else on that bus late for school or camp, but the arrogant parents don't consider that.

At the beginning of the camp and school season, Long Island drivers should expect a certain amount of parent/bus driver yaking to take place while the driver communicates changes in time and pick-up points until the route has been adjusted. The driver may end up talking to virtually every parent on the route.

Another point to consider, especially at the beginning of the season is that some of the younger kids will start crying and fussing because they are afraid to get on the bus without Mommy or Daddy for the first time. This too, can be a period of adjustment and there will be more gabbing as the adults try to coax the frightened kid to get on the bus. If you are a driver and don't have kids of your own, you don't consider this stuff, but I can't blame anyone for being impatient.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:04 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstigs View Post
I just wonder if there is a better way or some kind of solution that makes everyone happy.
Are we all talking about the same thing? Are the buses using their flashing red lights and stop signs the whole time they're in front of the house even if no child is in sight? Obviously that's the only time you need to stop.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:24 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
This morning I was late for work and had to stop a half dozen times for small yellow buses , most of which had names of (expensive) day camps on the side windows. In almost every case , the driver pulls up in front of a home, puts the flashing lights on, and sits there until Caden's mom/dad/nanny decides it's time to get the kid on the bus.
In once instance, a parent struck up a long conversation with the driver, while the lights flashed away and two dozen cars piled up in both directions. After a few minutes of this, the driver in the car diagonally opposite the bus (that would be me) politely asked the driver to end the conversation, as she was making approximately fifty people late for work.
Of course I know we should stop for school buses, but why should anyone's commute be delayed for a camp bus ? Is the driver required to flash the lights when the kid is most likely still eating breakfast and is nowhere in sight ? Do the traffic laws of NY State require us to stop for a bus that is clearly not on school business (I have not read the manual in many years)...
Apologies for venting.
Time for a little common sense by both sides of this issue.

For the person driving the car you have no idea if a kid is going to come across the street to get on the bus so passing the bus is poor judgment on your part.

For the parents of the kids it is your responsibility to have your kids at the curb when the bus arrives.

If I was driving the bus, No kids I don't stop. You can bet the next day the parents would have the kids at the stop waiting.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:19 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,440 times
I understand the need for stopping and waiting whenever a bus has its red lights going, but few things annoy me like a bus driver sitting there with the lights on having a chat with a parent when they know damn well the kid(s) they're picking up aren't crossing the street.

If you wanna sit there talking then fine, take all day for all I care, just turn the lights off and stop wasting everyone else's time. Not doing so should be a ticketable offense IMO, same as passing a bus with its lights on.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:53 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Find out the rules. Call the state. You have to wait while the kid crosses; I imagine also while the lights flash... but if the overprotective mother starts a conversation, I would honk. Seriously (Up here they call these moms "porch monkeys")

Old 08-21-2011, 06:56 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,672 times
Call the camp or the bus company and give them the number of the bus very simple and easy to do.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:23 PM

110 posts, read 350,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Find out the rules. Call the state. You have to wait while the kid crosses; I imagine also while the lights flash... but if the overprotective mother starts a conversation, I would honk. Seriously (Up here they call these moms "porch monkeys")
Ummm... I would be careful about using that term... you might want to google it before ever using it again. Doesn't mean the same thing to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island