Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:40 PM

418 posts, read 1,069,854 times

Advertisements

Hello!
Found this forum and read some very valuable posts/advice about neighborhoods and houses on Long Island (Suffolk).

So maybe some wisdom can be found on my question.

I am (finally) looking to purchase a house near Stony Brook University (I work there). Have been paying insane rent for years (north of 25A) - long story...
Paid off colleges, and kids are out on their own; separated, and looking for a _small_ house (2BR ideal; 3BR max) on a small property, in very good shape (no need for repair) for easy maintenance, energy efficiency, price.

Since I started looking, the problem seems to be that the majority of houses around/on the market are big - 3BR+.
2BR houses are rare and typically in bad shape (bungalow or run-down structure of sorts...).
Or alternatively - such homes seem to be found exclusively in 55+ communities.
I am not 50 yet, and am looking for a stand-alone home (not a condo).

So, any advice on how to find something like this around Stony Brook, where to look etc, will be very much appreciated.

Further constraints of my search:
1) price range: $300-$370k
2) small house/small lot - 2-3BR, 1.5+ bath
3) excellent condition (updated/good construction)
4) location - ideally within 1-2 miles from SBU (walking/biking), but if there are nice places that I am unaware within 10-15min drive - that will work too.
5) no school district worries (finally!), so I am flexible somewhat, but would like to invest in a house with good resale value...
6) house type and age does not matter - I like an old house with a character but need to be practical about this...
For example, the supposedly original Stony Brook post office seems to be for sale on 44 Cedar (2BR house), but not sure how practical is it...

I have been looking north of 25A in Stony Brook and Setauket, some areas close to the university, i.e. long hill section, H-section...
Also, noticed that Port Jeff properties have taken a big hit, so there are now many houses on the market in my range...
Maybe Saint James as well? Or further east on the north shore?

Am I missing some obvious location for a house like this? Are there such houses around?
Or maybe is smarter to take a bigger house, where portion can be rented out?... Not thrilled about it but...
How do other empty-nesters deal with these issues?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 2011littlehouse; 08-19-2011 at 12:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 04:55 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
MLSLI.com Find Real Estate Listings, School and Neighborhood Information and More - Realtor.com®

Old 08-19-2011, 05:10 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
You might score a waterview in Sound Beach in that range.
North Shore Beach(RP) and Lake Panamoka, Wading River.

Check out Poquott on your way out East too.

Crooks

Old 08-19-2011, 07:27 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Default MLSLI.com

Oftentimes, the MLSLI.com lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 08-19-2011, 08:21 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
MLS# 2397771 Stony Brook, $350,000 3br/2bath w/ .32acres
There are 7 other listings using "Stony Brook", 8 via "Nesconset", 43 "South Setauket", 16 "St.James".

So, I would say there are a number of possibilities.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:28 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
There are 7 other listings using "Stony Brook", 8 via "Nesconset", 43 "South Setauket", 16 "St.James".

True, there are a number of options available to the OP. However, I would hardly call .32 acres a "small lot", which is one of the stipulations

Old 08-19-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
You might score a waterview in Sound Beach in that range.
North Shore Beach(RP) and Lake Panamoka, Wading River.

Check out Poquott on your way out East too.

Crooks
Thanks for the suggestions.
There were a couple of listing for Poquott in that range and I drove by to see them.
Poquott seems very segregated to me: there are the million $ houses and then there are the run-down sad-looking ones (which these were part of). Little in-between.

Additional worry when I considered Miller Place, Rocky Point, Sound Beach was that I do not like "secluded" (private - yes, but not secluded). As a female (single for now) - I would need neighbors and safety. Some of the beach communities may not have owners there year-around, I thought....

Old 08-19-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post

So I thought - seemed reasonable with the house prices falling down...
But a couple of weeks of intensive looking (and I tend to be thorough...) at "zillow" which seems to provide best context information about a property and the surrounding houses (to me, at least)... none of the listings come close.

I understood that I must be willing to overpay substantially (per sq ft) for a small house vs. a big house, but still - the issue of condition remains.
Every single listing of a smaller house (or <$350k) in good areas of Stony Brook / Setauket has been for a run-down or questionable condition property...
In contrast, if you add $70-100k - there are excellent 4BR+ options, seems like.

The size of the land - I prefer a small lot for easier upkeep etc. - but a bigger lot is not a deal breaker...

Old 08-19-2011, 09:41 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.
There were a couple of listing for Poquott in that range and I drove by to see them.
Poquott seems very segregated to me: there are the million $ houses and then there are the run-down sad-looking ones (which these were part of). Little in-between.

Additional worry when I considered Miller Place, Rocky Point, Sound Beach was that I do not like "secluded" (private - yes, but not secluded). As a female (single for now) - I would need neighbors and safety. Some of the beach communities may not have owners there year-around, I thought....
All of those areas are year round now. .

Miller Place is a good call too.

Check out by Cedar Beach.

Crooks

Old 08-19-2011, 10:06 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Hello!
Found this forum and read some very valuable posts/advice about neighborhoods and houses on Long Island (Suffolk).

So maybe some wisdom can be found on my question.

I am (finally) looking to purchase a house near Stony Brook University (I work there). Have been paying insane rent for years (north of 25A) - long story...
Paid off colleges, and kids are out on their own; separated, and looking for a _small_ house (2BR ideal; 3BR max) on a small property, in very good shape (no need for repair) for easy maintenance, energy efficiency, price.

Since I started looking, the problem seems to be that the majority of houses around/on the market are big - 3BR+.
2BR houses are rare and typically in bad shape (bungalow or run-down structure of sorts...).
Or alternatively - such homes seem to be found exclusively in 55+ communities.
I am not 50 yet, and am looking for a stand-alone home (not a condo).

So, any advice on how to find something like this around Stony Brook, where to look etc, will be very much appreciated.

Further constraints of my search:
1) price range: $300-$370k
2) small house/small lot - 2-3BR, 1.5+ bath
3) excellent condition (updated/good construction)
4) location - ideally within 1-2 miles from SBU (walking/biking), but if there are nice places that I am unaware within 10-15min drive - that will work too.
5) no school district worries (finally!), so I am flexible somewhat, but would like to invest in a house with good resale value...
6) house type and age does not matter - I like an old house with a character but need to be practical about this...
For example, the supposedly original Stony Brook post office seems to be for sale on 44 Cedar (2BR house), but not sure how practical is it...

I have been looking north of 25A in Stony Brook and Setauket, some areas close to the university, i.e. long hill section, H-section...
Also, noticed that Port Jeff properties have taken a big hit, so there are now many houses on the market in my range...
Maybe Saint James as well? Or further east on the north shore?

Am I missing some obvious location for a house like this? Are there such houses around?
Or maybe is smarter to take a bigger house, where portion can be rented out?... Not thrilled about it but...
How do other empty-nesters deal with these issues?

Thanks in advance!
If I didn't have children, I would have scooped up the old post office as soon as it went up for sale.

Long Hill is ideal for walking to SBU (I have family in a few homes in there) given you come right out behind Tabler. Houses in your price range in Long Hill are going to need work or updating.

If you didn't mind a fixer upper, 46 Christian in Setauket is a good buy with cheap taxes ($4214) to boot. But it does need lots of work. The family which lived there prior to it going on the market had problems and the house was not a priority at that point. I know two of the neighboring families. Good people.

131 Quaker Path, Setauket is $269K, taxes with star are $3500. The listing reads subject to bank approval, Sold as is-- perhaps one of the RE agents on CD could give us insight? The location is just north of Christian where Quaker and Mount Grey diverge. The house is close to the road which is one of the ways up to Old Field and to West Meadow Beach so it does get cars during the day but quiet at night; the back of the property is very private. If you don't have children and want walkable to SBU, this is a good spot to check out.

63 Ridgeway in Setauket is a flip. $299K taxes $7885 I've watched that in progress on my way to and from work and shopping. It was a mess before it was redone. It's about 2 miles (maybe a smidge more) to SBU. Walk to SBU, shopping, bank, PO, farmstand, supermarkets. I know another family a few doors down. It is about 1/3-1/2 mile from the JrHS so there is some school bus traffic early in the day and mid afternoon. It's not a terribly busy road (quiet at night) but it does get used during the day.

There's a house on Sheep Pasture for $299 -- AVOID IT! Sheep Pasture is insanely busy at that spot. The only upside to the property is the 3 car garage which you could rent out and make some $$$.

40 Glenridge in Stony Brook $369 taxes w/STAR $8500 looks OK. Close to SBU, the street was made into a 1 way street several years ago which reduced traffic.

58 Main St in Setauket is one of my favorite oldies. It's close to the Setauket Mill Pond and is probably between 2-3 miles to SBU. This Main St is NOT 25A, but it does get some local traffic (school buses for elementary school and moms dropping off) $379K taxes with star a shade under $4K. If you don't utilize the seperate heated office/studio, you might be able to rent it to a local artist or business person to help offset the mortgage.

The listing for 3 Silverspruce Stony Brook (S Section) looks decent, but needs a kitchen. The listing shows all sorts of lovely Three Village pictures which are no where near the S Section (go figure!). I have friends in there who love the S Section and one who has likened it to Mayberry. Very peaceful and family oriented. $380K taxes $7600. Only downside is you're dealing with Nicolls Rd if you bike/walk to SBU.

56 Chestnut in Poquott is in a great location but needs updating and not walkable to SBU. It's a good bike ride, though. In terms of resale, this one, with updating, is probably a best bet. $389K combined taxes $8K

23 Lotowana in Stony Brook is in a great spot but it's a walk on 25 A from Main St to the LIRR to get to SBU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island