Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 02:33 PM

117 posts, read 281,525 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the clarification! I was alittle worried about the area but I am not now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 04:08 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
FYI, on Calumet, they will be building nine high end houses on one acre lots (price around $1.2 mill) and the first one is already framed. It's in the area you described, off Burrs Lane... (No, I'm not the listing agent )

wow-im suprised-i didnt think they would invest that kind of money for that area at this time-i grew up about 2 minutes from there-my friends families are just leaving now as the parents are all retiring and moving.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:11 PM

If you take burrs lane to the end and go right you are at the wyandanch train station in about a minute-not the prettiest but my husband took it for 10 years without a problem-just lock your car.

If you go left you will have some very family friendly streets-traymore, fairfield, scott, trescott, etc. The area gets a bad rap because of its proximity to Wyandanch.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:42 AM

764 posts, read 1,554,043 times
Be aware of the taxes . MY parents in law live in dix hills and pay $15k on taxes. Some houses in dix hills pay 20k and up a year.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:01 AM

149 posts, read 317,744 times
There are not many streets (don't think there are any) that are south of Calumet off Burrs and still in Dix Hills. The area changes to Wheatley Heights at that point, but it is still a fairly nice area, and still in the HHH school district. There is absolutely nothing to be concerned about anywhere in Dix Hills. The population spans from upper middle class to very wealthy, and the schools are terrific - I have one in the early grades of elementary school and another that just started middle school. I will point out that Dix Hills is a very large town, and each of the various neighborhoods has a different feel to it - some properties are larger, smore toward the south part of town are smaller - some homes are brand new and gorgeous, others are still 1960s style and not as updated. But all in all I'm extremely happy there, chose it over CSH, Laurel Hollow for proximity to the highways and am very happy with my decision. Good luck to you.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,990 times
Homes south of LIE seems to be less expensive than homes north of LIE in Dix Hills. I had thought that the reasoning was the proximity to Wyandanch increases as you move south.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:24 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
While nobody has yet mentioned it, a small part in the northeast part of Dix Hills is in the Commack Union Free School District and another small part in the northwest part of Dix Hills is in the South Huntington Union Free School District ...

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Commack Union Free School District includes all or part of the Hamlet of Commack, the Hamlet of Kings Park, the Hamlet of Smithtown, the Hamlet of Hauppauge and the Hamlet of Dix Hills.

A map of the Commack Union Free School District:

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the South Huntington Union Free School District includes all or part of the Hamlet of Huntington Station, the Hamlet of Greenlawn, the Hamlet of Elwood, the Hamlet of Dix Hills, the Hamlet of Melville, the Hamlet of West Hills and the Hamlet of South Huntington.

A map of the South Huntington Union Free School District:

Old 09-20-2011, 08:38 AM

149 posts, read 317,744 times
I think that old "north of LIE/south of LIE" belief is a thing of the past, largely due to new construction on the south side. There are plenty of homes in the $1mm+ range south of the LIE - Hunting Hollow Farm, the developments on and off of Hart Place, and many other areas south of the LIE on the west side of 231. (and, by the way, that is the side that is closer to Wyandanch). There are also some less expensive areas on the northeast side of town, up by the university streets (Princeton, Villanova, etc.). But it really varies with most neighborhoods having a diverse mix of housing and costs. The only exception is the section right off Straight Path and closer to the Deer Park border, where houses are all much less expensive than the rest of town - but I think that is more due to the fact that that section is the only section with quarter acre zoning (as opposed to acre zoning in most of the rest of town).

Old 09-20-2011, 12:32 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvres View Post
There are not many streets (don't think there are any) that are south of Calumet off Burrs and still in Dix Hills. The area changes to Wheatley Heights at that point, but it is still a fairly nice area, and still in the HHH school district. There is absolutely nothing to be concerned about anywhere in Dix Hills. The population spans from upper middle class to very wealthy, and the schools are terrific - I have one in the early grades of elementary school and another that just started middle school. I will point out that Dix Hills is a very large town, and each of the various neighborhoods has a different feel to it - some properties are larger, smore toward the south part of town are smaller - some homes are brand new and gorgeous, others are still 1960s style and not as updated. But all in all I'm extremely happy there, chose it over CSH, Laurel Hollow for proximity to the highways and am very happy with my decision. Good luck to you.

Actually, there are four:
Middlesex Drive; Sturbridge Drive which leads into Sagamore Lane, off of which is Merrimac Court.

All have an official Dix Hills mailing address and are in the HHH SD. However, all four are in the Town of Babylon (which may account for their taxes being a bit lower?? )

Old 09-20-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Actually, there are four:
Middlesex Drive; Sturbridge Drive which leads into Sagamore Lane, off of which is Merrimac Court.

All have an official Dix Hills mailing address and are in the HHH SD. However, all four are in the Town of Babylon (which may account for their taxes being a bit lower?? )

They also can use the Babyon beaches which are beautiful. We used to live over there and miss the beaches-also, Fairfield Drive is over-Half Hollow schools and Babyon taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island