Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:17 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There is no amendment in the constitution that mentions the right of people to speed on public roads. I already can't go on public roads without a government sanctioned license and registration. I am also "subject" to intrusive radar gun trackings and I can be pulled stopped to have my license and reg checked at any point (check points) by a police officer.

I'm not for excessive government control of behaviors in general, but cutting down on speeding on public highways is not excessive, and the fact that I'd never have to hear jack-arses bragging about getting away with speeding because they have a PBA card is worth it alone.
They only had horsies when the Constitution was written, otherwise I'm sure it would be in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 10:19 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
Not sure its the right way but speeding is out of control not just on the LIE.If they can prove it will pay for itself then why not save lives.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:22 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Need a camera for drivers doing the speed limit in the left (PASSING) lane. Should be NO speed limit (or 75) in the left lane, 55 in the center and right lanes. People need to learn how to drive, not pay fees to the granny state to enforce an idiotic law that is not based on actual rules of the road. Passing lane, travel lane, exit lane...know it, learn it, live it.

The acccidents are less from speed than from PASSING on the right to get around the dimwit in the left lane doing 56.
You're right, people need to learn how to drive.

If they knew how to drive, they wouldn't be trying to pass on the right.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:30 AM

137 posts, read 249,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
...and you thought red light cams were bad!
A wee bit off topic, but kinda related...
Quote:
LA Times - July/2011
Who knew L.A.'s red-light camera fines were 'voluntary'?
Drivers who paid the tickets, some of which are $476, fume at the disclosure that authorities cannot force violators to pay up. But don't expect to get a refund.

City officials this week spotlighted a surprising revelation involving red-light camera tickets: Authorities cannot force violators who simply don't respond to pay them. For a variety of reasons, including the way the law was written, Los Angeles officials say the fines for ticketed motorists are essentially "voluntary" and there are virtually no tangible consequences for those who refuse to pay.

The disclosure comes as the city is considering whether to drop the controversial photo enforcement program, with the City Council scheduled to vote on the matter Wednesday. Even if the program is shut down, it will be little consolation to the tens of thousands like Brickman who already paid fines.

Full Article: La Red Light Cameras | Red-light cameras: Who knew L.A.'s red-light camera fines were 'voluntary'? - Los Angeles Times
It's my understanding that at this time Los Angeles has all but scrapped their red-light camera program due, at least in part, to this loophole. Some surrounding areas have yet to decide whether or not to continue with it or drop it, too. LA figured they just weren't cost efficient, and didn't reduce traffic issues as thought at the start of their test run with the program.

I wonder how the real numbers add up in NYC/LI? Is it profitable? Does it reduce traffic issues as originally touted?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:41 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Red Light cams are one thing...speed cams are another. Red Light cams may actually not be all that bad. Definitely $$-motivated for the most part and they are profitable.
Speed cams are pushing it unless they raise the speed limit to reality (65-75).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
You're right, people need to learn how to drive.

If they knew how to drive, they wouldn't be trying to pass on the right.
Yeah but they wouldn't have to pass on the right if Blanche & Herb knew not to drive 50 in the passing lane.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:47 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
So Pequa...guess you feel Blanche and Herb shouldn't be doing 30mph in Mass Park along Park Blvd? Should they be doing 35, 40, 50...and is that without school busses picking up kids or not?

Speeding on the LIE is probably a minor danger compared to speeding off the highways. However, those that think 75 is the minimum they should do on the LIE are the same ilk that think nothing of doing 45 down a sidestreet and tailgating granny in front of them to make her go faster.

Those who speed need to be prosecuted like DWI offenders.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:07 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
So Pequa...guess you feel Blanche and Herb shouldn't be doing 30mph in Mass Park along Park Blvd? Should they be doing 35, 40, 50...and is that without school busses picking up kids or not?

Speeding on the LIE is probably a minor danger compared to speeding off the highways. However, those that think 75 is the minimum they should do on the LIE are the same ilk that think nothing of doing 45 down a sidestreet and tailgating granny in front of them to make her go faster.

Those who speed need to be prosecuted like DWI offenders.
Not at all. The 30 mph village speed limit is fine especially down one lane residential areas or side streets. I think most would agree on that. It should be even lower through the actual downtown part of Park and close to the schools. Parkways are completely different.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:21 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm all for speed cameras, but 55MPH on most stretches of the LIE is ridiculous. East of 63 it should be 70, most of the rest should be 65 (these are the speed limits on the Garden State and the Turnpike in NJ), and then I'm fine with the cameras. Aw, what's wrong, your PBA card won't get you out of tickets anymore when you get pulled over doing 80? My heart weeps.
If this goes through, that's one less eBay expenditure for some people ...

Old 10-06-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I never said I am for big brother I said I am for people not breaking the law. If morons didn't do it in the first place, there would be no money for the government to make by putting up these cameras. Too much for you to understand??

Funny, I don't think I've been pulled over in YEARS. My secret? Not driving like an ass.
Now you've jinxed yourself!

Old 10-06-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
The state of Maryland uses speed cameras in work zones. More than 12 mph over the posted speed results in a $40 summons.
That's it? Boy they are a cheap date. If we get speeding cameras, I am sure the "surcharges" alone will be more than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island