Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 11:07 AM

159 posts, read 408,385 times

Advertisements

Clinton Ave is one of the busiest streets in GC. Definite danger zone there.

But I have to disagree with Twingles, most secondary streets are playable for kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 12:24 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelmo View Post
Clinton Ave is one of the busiest streets in GC. Definite danger zone there.

But I have to disagree with Twingles, most secondary streets are playable for kids.
Ditto on that. While GC is susceptible to cut-through traffic because of its grid layout and having so many busy roads run through it, at least half of the village streets are not busy IMO. There's some pretty sweet cul-de-sacs by the golf course too.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 PM

38 posts, read 76,680 times
<<There are some really cute homes in this section but to me it seems to be 'isolated' from the other areas of GC? >>

It isn't isolated. The unbearable Garden City snootiness easily migrates from other parts of the town into the Mott Section. You'll feel right at home.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:09 PM

86 posts, read 234,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigmet View Post
<<There are some really cute homes in this section but to me it seems to be 'isolated' from the other areas of GC? >>

It isn't isolated. The unbearable Garden City snootiness easily migrates from other parts of the town into the Mott Section. You'll feel right at home.
Tigmet- you don't know me so how the he*ll can you say I'll fit 'right' in with the snootiness ???? I'd prefer you refrain from commenting about me.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:35 AM

703 posts, read 1,173,581 times
I live in the Mott section and my husband walks to the Mineola train station everyday. It's only about a mile. It would take the same amount of time to drive and park in the garage, and he likes the exercise. If you're afraid to cross Old Country Road, you should be taking the train to the city with your mother, LOL.

When the weather is nice I walk downtown with my baby stroller, again it's about a mile. We moved here from Manhattan so we like to walk places, though.

A nice area that is within walking distance of downtown and the train station is the northwestern area of Country Life Press (Magnolia, Ash, Beech, Elm, Damson). You can cut through the municipal parking lot and be on 7th street in under 10 minutes.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:17 PM

239 posts, read 509,113 times
I grew up in GC but I lived in the west end near the estates. The mott section is very nice with beautiful homes, but every section in GC has nice houses so this isn't unique to the mott section.
What turns me off about the motts and the whole east section of GC is the close proximity to the Roosevelt Field Mall. Someone mentioned earlier that the traffic is horrendous during rush hour in the area. Clinton Road/Stewart Ave East are very busy, and I personally would not want to live right off or near those roads.
Stewart is zoned for the east end and Stratford is zoned for the west end. Both are equally good elementary schools. The only reason I prefer Stratford is because of its location; on a quiet tree lined street in a neighborhood section. Stewart location is awful being on the corner of Stewart Ave East and Clinton Road.
It's true that the mott section is not near a LIRR station. However, most of GC stations are on the Hempstead line which is not a favorable line anymore IMO because you always have to switch at Jamaica (other than one or two times during rush hour). It also doesn't run as often because the Hempstead line is not a main line.
If I had to chose a section of GC to live in, I'd chose the estates, particularly north of Stewart Avenue. Much quieter and more privacy since it is not right near the Roosevelt Field Mall. Also, north of Stewart Avenue in the estates is closest to the Merillon Avenue Station, which is the only station in GC on a main line and quickest getting to NYC.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:32 AM

703 posts, read 1,173,581 times
The problem with Merillon Ave. is that only a handful of trains stop there. Mineola is the transit hub. The northern part of the estates is very nice, but it doesn't have frequent train service.

I think the best area is the north central section (9th or 10th street); you can walk to shops and restaurants and the library as well as either the Mineola or GC train station. There's no playground in the vicinity but there's open space at the village green.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:57 AM

63 posts, read 152,167 times
What are your thoughts about living on Washington Avenue? I have friends who bought a house there recently but it seems to be a busy street and the sections with the county buildings can be an eye sore. I'm thinking of looking for a house on Mott next year so I've been keeping an eye on the market. Home prices on Washington are obviously lower than if the house were on a quieter street but I was wondering if it's really bad.

Also, I've ssen a few posts talking about the "cut through" traffic in the Mott section, especially Trasnverse. However, I'm not sure if people are making a big fuss out of nothing or if it is really a problem.

Thanks.

Last edited by lovingtoli; 05-10-2013 at 07:19 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 08:10 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Washington is extremely busy. Not "sometimes busy" or a "little busy" - it's a main road. Transverse is the main cut through over there, most people obey the speed limit. It's a nice street but I would factor that into the price of the house if buying there. Anyone who knows the area uses Transverse as a cut through instead of Old Country Road.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:23 PM

118 posts, read 258,530 times
If you are moving from NYC, Washington is not busy. It is all relative. It's certainly one of the busier roads in town, but it has several traffic lights engineered to slow down traffic and the speed limit is 30 MPH (although all of garden city has problems with speeding, even tertiary roads). It has 2 lanes in either direction. It is not a highway. There are hundreds of lovely houses in Garden City on busy roads like Stewart, Nassau Boulevard, Cherry Valley, etc. People do actually live in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island