Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:24 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

The TV series in question is "My Ghost Story" and it airs on the Biography Channel. Here is the episode information:

My Ghost Story Episode Guide 2011 Season 3 - My Ghost Story, Episode 5 | TVGuide.com

Quote:
... paranormal investigators hear the cries of spirits on Mount Misery Road in Huntington, N.Y. ...
Here is a small clip of the Mt. Misery Rd., Huntington episode:

Episode 23 - Web Exclusive: My Ghost Story Full Episodes and Videos - Biography.com

Here is the paranormal investigators' webpage about Mt. Misery Rd. It also includes some pics/sounds (scroll down) that were featured on the TV show (a pic of a member with a glowing ball of light on his arm, etc.):

Haunted Mount Mt Misery Road ghost spirit investigation by Long Island Paranormal Investigators - Ghost Haunted Demonic Investigation Ghost Hunter New York NY

Here is their Facebook page where they briefly discuss the episode:

Long Island Paranormal Investigators | Facebook

I watched this episode and I think they are seriously stretching the "facts" and not telling the story honestly.

First of all, when I was a kid my family was friends with a family who lived on Mt. Misery Rd. in Huntington, and what was shown on TV (a heavily wooded footpath with no car traffic) did not look right to me. We could drive there and it was not overgrown with trees ... it was open land with horse pastures, etc., on either side of the road. I looked on the paranormal group's webpage and here is their description of Mt. Misery:

Quote:
Mt. Misery is two locations, divided by the Northern State Parkway. Site 1 is on the South end at the Radio tower itself. Site 2 is the North end by a park/undeveloped area across the parkway from the radio tower. Paranormal activity has been reported at both locations.
So the TV show misrepresents that area by referring to it as Mt. Misery Road.

The other thing I did not like was how the two leaders of this paranormal investigator group claimed on "My Ghost Story" that it is a fact that there was an asylum/mental hospital on a hill overlooking Mt. Misery Road and a girl named Mary (no last name cited) escaped from it and got her revenge by burning down the entire asylum ... in which many people died in the fire, who are now the ghosts haunting Mt. Misery Road along with Mary and this is the source of the haunting.

I looked on their webpage and what they wrote about Mt. Misery does not talk about Mary burning down the hospital. Yet on the TV show one of them actually stated it was a fact. He used the word "fact."

From what I understand, this is more of an old urban legend and has never been proven as something that actually happened. Do any of you know about it? Has anyone found the name of the asylum/hospital that burned down over there? Was there ever one in that area? Has anyone found Mary's last name? Has anyone found news accounts of the arson?

How can any reputable organization go on television and call this urban legend a "fact" if this information has never been confirmed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 02:38 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call The I_Love_LI_but Zone.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call The I_Love_LI_but Zone.
You're in it with me!

Now please put out your cigarette and help find the answers to my questions!

Old 11-14-2011, 02:59 PM

418 posts, read 1,070,018 times
Most likely this is the intertwined story of Mt. Misery, Sweet Hollow Road and Mary (as in Mary's grave or other paranormal things on LI - Mary is a favorite name for paranormal here .

These are covered in "Weird New York" - see comments here:
Weird New York

I have the book and had a good laugh at one of the reviews on Amazon - a person that is apparently envious that "all the weirdness in NY happens on Long Island" (upstate wants some weirdness too!)

http://www.amazon.com/Weird-New-York...owViewpoints=1

"Great fun for residents, former residents, and transplants alike. It gives a good "overview" of this great state. Unfortunately, it focuses more on one locale than all of them. Long Islanders should be in their glory because much of the "weirdness" takes place in their area of the state. I wish some of the stories could have been trimmed to include more of a variety. There's a treasure trove of incidents from Upstate New York, particularly in the Herkimer-Utica area, that would have been interesting to read about. Perhaps a sequel is in order?"

Old 11-14-2011, 03:02 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
It wasn't the ghosts that made me move off the Island, I could live with them.

It was the ridiculous cost of living there that truly scared me

Old 11-15-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Most likely this is the intertwined story of Mt. Misery, Sweet Hollow Road and Mary (as in Mary's grave or other paranormal things on LI - Mary is a favorite name for paranormal here .

These are covered in "Weird New York" - see comments here:
Weird New York

I have the book and had a good laugh at one of the reviews on Amazon - a person that is apparently envious that "all the weirdness in NY happens on Long Island" (upstate wants some weirdness too!)

http://www.amazon.com/Weird-New-York...owViewpoints=1

"Great fun for residents, former residents, and transplants alike. It gives a good "overview" of this great state. Unfortunately, it focuses more on one locale than all of them. Long Islanders should be in their glory because much of the "weirdness" takes place in their area of the state. I wish some of the stories could have been trimmed to include more of a variety. There's a treasure trove of incidents from Upstate New York, particularly in the Herkimer-Utica area, that would have been interesting to read about. Perhaps a sequel is in order?"
Thank you for your post. I found the same type of information -- that these are all urban legends and folklore and nothing has been proven. By saying it is a "fact" that a woman named Mary burned down an asylum on Mt. Misery Road, the Long Island Paranormal Investigators is a group with no credibility.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
It wasn't the ghosts that made me move off the Island, I could live with them.

It was the ridiculous cost of living there that truly scared me
Too bad we can't get the ghosts to chip in by taxing them too. A "Haunting Tax" ...

Old 11-15-2011, 11:09 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Mount Misery is in the Hamlet of West Hills ("Melville, NY 11747" mailing address) in the Town of Huntington.

According to Urban Legend of Mary's Grave on Long Island, "Mary's Grave is located in the Union Cemetery in Sayville, off Main St. overlooking the swamp."

The article says that Sayville is a village. Sayville is a hamlet in the Town of Islip, Suffolk County.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:43 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Mount Misery is in the Hamlet of West Hills ("Melville, NY 11747" mailing address) in the Town of Huntington.

According to Urban Legend of Mary's Grave on Long Island, "Mary's Grave is located in the Union Cemetery in Sayville, off Main St. overlooking the swamp."

The article says that Sayville is a village. Sayville is a hamlet in the Town of Islip, Suffolk County.

Weird New York

More potential Mary's Grave site(s)

Old 11-15-2011, 12:01 PM

418 posts, read 1,070,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Thank you for your post. I found the same type of information -- that these are all urban legends and folklore and nothing has been proven. By saying it is a "fact" that a woman named Mary burned down an asylum on Mt. Misery Road, the Long Island Paranormal Investigators is a group with no credibility.
Disappointingly, even the History channel or Discovery run with urban legends too often for my taste.
For a "Ghost Story", one would expect an urban legend / folklore, no? It's entertainment, it's not science, but still fun to watch. How would one "prove" facts in these stories?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island