Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:35 PM

14 posts, read 24,472 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a room to rent for around $700 a month including utilities. Does anyone know anyone who may have a room? My husband starts his job on Wed, Nov 30. The kids and I will not be moving until I can find a job or school is out. My husband is an extremely clean, private, no drama person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 08:40 PM

160 posts, read 317,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker0508 View Post
We are looking for a room to rent for around $700 a month including utilities. Does anyone know anyone who may have a room? My husband starts his job on Wed, Nov 30. The kids and I will not be moving until I can find a job or school is out. My husband is an extremely clean, private, no drama person.
Try Craigslist but honestly I think your search parameters are a longshot

Old 11-22-2011, 08:42 PM

We have replied to several ads on Craiglist. But thought we would try here too. Never know someone may think hey we could use an extra 700 for a few months so why not rent a room.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:09 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I guess the hotel/motel thing is not an option anymore?

Old 11-23-2011, 12:07 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I guess the hotel/motel thing is not an option anymore?
I don't believe the OP realized how expensive those accommodations are around here.
The cheapest place is around $2,500/month - that's a lot of $$ out-of-pocket if you're still paying for a home elsewhere

Old 11-23-2011, 02:09 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,623 times
Quote:
Perhaps you need to tell us more about your situation, Texas to Long Island is a really distant leap. Is your hubby moving into the fire because Rick Perry's frying pan is too hot to handle?
Sure, we all pull up stakes once in awhile and we move along in life, but from what I understand about Texas living, why would I believe that anyone would want to come here to New York?
Your husband cannot be an executive in a corporation which deals with business in the defense industry here on Long Island, can he? Why, of all possible places to live, would you want to come
here, we're beginning to become a wasteland, hovering between insolvency and overtaxation, our little piece of paradise has been blighted along with every other location which suffers this dent
in the American dream. I think that if you are truly serious about relocating to this region, you might do a bit more homework, investigate more fully the consequence of taking a throw of the dice,
consulting the ouija board, saddling up the horses and moving eastward. I've lived my whole life on Long island. If it were not for a social Security stipend, I'd be heading off to Texas, some other
affordable place where an eighth of an acre isn't taxed at $6,000 a year, a living quarter that doesn't reach $1,800 with utilities, a neighborhood where the landscapers become made members of
MS-13 at night after they are done with scalping lawns. I can't believe that your husband has found work here on long Island, a commitment from any employer who'd be able to offer the slightest
measure of security for your future.

In reading your comment, I'm put in touch with what life might have been like during the great depression or the dust bowl, another frantic soul looking to find relief or temporary happiness
through a logistic change, the hope to find better life in other places. I really don't want to rain on your parade, but as a lifelong resident of Long island, I cannot endorse it as anything close to utopia.
I do hope that you and your family are able to find happiness somewhere, but to beckon you here to Long Island, would be a foolish act on my part. Yes, there will always be those here in this C-D
forum, who'll be ready and willing to refute my assertions or my observations, but in all truth, after 67 years of Long island life, I'd do it all again, but I'd do it elsewhere. When I envision people having
to uproot their homes and change their lives in order to accommodate a failing system of governance, it always brings to mind the great epic of 'the grapes of wrath", that famous Steinbeck novel, which
put Henry Fonda on the map, a look back at time, history and the sad realization that we are little more than pawns in a chess game that is being played out by our rulers, the administrators who have
brought us to the final precipice of our existence. I sure hope that you'll make it to where you need to be, and when you get there I sure hope that it's where to be. I guess that I should consider you
fortunate enough to be fully equipped with a cellphone, a moving van and resources like city-data. Sure beats the hell outta pony express and a covered wagon. good luck to you, walker0508, you'll need
every last stroke of luck you can get.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:20 AM

160 posts, read 317,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Perhaps you need to tell us more about your situation, Texas to Long Island is a really distant leap. Is your hubby moving into the fire because Rick Perry's frying pan is too hot to handle?
Sure, we all pull up stakes once in awhile and we move along in life, but from what I understand about Texas living, why would I believe that anyone would want to come here to New York?
Your husband cannot be an executive in a corporation which deals with business in the defense industry here on Long Island, can he? Why, of all possible places to live, would you want to come
here, we're beginning to become a wasteland, hovering between insolvency and overtaxation, our little piece of paradise has been blighted along with every other location which suffers this dent
in the American dream. I think that if you are truly serious about relocating to this region, you might do a bit more homework, investigate more fully the consequence of taking a throw of the dice,
consulting the ouija board, saddling up the horses and moving eastward. I've lived my whole life on Long island. If it were not for a social Security stipend, I'd be heading off to Texas, some other
affordable place where an eighth of an acre isn't taxed at $6,000 a year, a living quarter that doesn't reach $1,800 with utilities, a neighborhood where the landscapers become made members of
MS-13 at night after they are done with scalping lawns. I can't believe that your husband has found work here on long Island, a commitment from any employer who'd be able to offer the slightest
measure of security for your future.

In reading your comment, I'm put in touch with what life might have been like during the great depression or the dust bowl, another frantic soul looking to find relief or temporary happiness
through a logistic change, the hope to find better life in other places. I really don't want to rain on your parade, but as a lifelong resident of Long island, I cannot endorse it as anything close to utopia.
I do hope that you and your family are able to find happiness somewhere, but to beckon you here to Long Island, would be a foolish act on my part. Yes, there will always be those here in this C-D
forum, who'll be ready and willing to refute my assertions or my observations, but in all truth, after 67 years of Long island life, I'd do it all again, but I'd do it elsewhere. When I envision people having
to uproot their homes and change their lives in order to accommodate a failing system of governance, it always brings to mind the great epic of 'the grapes of wrath", that famous Steinbeck novel, which
put Henry Fonda on the map, a look back at time, history and the sad realization that we are little more than pawns in a chess game that is being played out by our rulers, the administrators who have
brought us to the final precipice of our existence. I sure hope that you'll make it to where you need to be, and when you get there I sure hope that it's where to be. I guess that I should consider you
fortunate enough to be fully equipped with a cellphone, a moving van and resources like city-data. Sure beats the hell outta pony express and a covered wagon. good luck to you, walker0508, you'll need
every last stroke of luck you can get.
No risk, no reward

Old 11-23-2011, 10:44 PM

I will say we are not excited about all of it but are willing to give it a try. I was born and raised in TX. My husband has lived all over the place since his father was in the Air Force. We know it will not be easy but he was looking for a job when he found this one. So he can look again. Positive things come to positive people. So we will remain positive.

Thanks to everyone that has replied.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:14 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,811 times
try rentedspaces . Either way will not be easy at 700 month. Prob. impossible. Maybe try hotel,extended stay place for month until he is more familiar with area and can better find a place here in person. Any legit decent place at that price you really have to be in person as they get snapped up immediately. My last choice would be Amity.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:24 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
I will say we are not excited about all of it but are willing to give it a try. I was born and raised in TX. My husband has lived all over the place since his father was in the Air Force. We know it will not be easy but he was looking for a job when he found this one. So he can look again. Positive things come to positive people. So we will remain positive.

Thanks to everyone that has replied.
That is an excellent attitude to have. Stay positive and if this place isn't for you move on to a place that makes you happy. And don't take that rambling long post by L.I.E. to heart, not everyone is as miserable and bitter as him here, some of us are actually (shocker) happy here. I wish you and your family luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island