Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:14 PM

241 posts, read 732,492 times

Advertisements

For those familiar with East Williston, please share your thoughts, perceptions, likes and dislikes about East Williston. It seems that there is so litte info about it. Any insights good or bad are appreciated. Also how isthe service of that LIRR line. How long to Penn?Thank you in advance.

Last edited by UpIslander; 12-19-2011 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 05:23 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Nice housing, good (small) school district, absolutely no "downtown" to speak of unless you count Hillside Ave. Mostly comparable with Garden City and Manhasset but lacks in that one area.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Default A map of the Village of East Williston in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County

East Williston is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the community name in their mailing address.

A map of the Village of East Williston in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8d/East-williston-ny-map.gif (broken link)

All places in the Village of East Williston have a "Williston Park, NY 11596" mailing address.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:46 PM

Default A map of the East Williston Union Free School District

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the East Williston Union Free School District includes all or part of the Village of East Hills, the Village of Old Westbury, the Village of Mineola, the Village of East Williston and the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights.

A map of the East Williston Union Free School District:

Old 12-19-2011, 06:06 PM

241 posts, read 732,492 times
Thank you to those who have responded so far. Walter I was waiting for you Walter, so even if someone lived inthe village of East Williston, they MUST put their mailing address as Williston Park? Do some residents write East Williston as their mailing address if they live within the village? How does the post office handle that or do they not care? I just want to understand better. I am a city person so I don't get much of this.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpIslander View Post
Walter, so even if someone lived inthe village of East Williston, they MUST put their mailing address as Williston Park? Do some residents write East Williston as their mailing address if they live within the village? How does the post office handle that or do they not care? I just want to understand better. I am a city person so I don't get much of this.
As long as the ZIP Code is correct, the USPS no longer cares, especially with a community such as East Williston which is in a single ZIP Code postal zone.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:49 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
They put East Williston as their address. On Long Island it's all about school districts, and saying "East Williston" conveys what district you are in.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They put East Williston as their address. On Long Island it's all about school districts, and saying "East Williston" conveys what district you are in.
I've never come across an address that used the name of the school district instead of the name of the postal zone or village or hamlet, if they differ from the postal zone.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
My sister is a resident of East Williston. Her mail is addressed to East Williston 11596. There is a village hall, a fire dept, a small library, a dry cleaner, a village green and of course the train. The monthly is $223 and the trip as scheduled is about 42 minutes. It is on the Oyster Bay branch so the schedule is not as good as Mineola which is on the main line.

Schools are considered very good, although I am sure you will find arguments on both sides of that issue. Taxes are several thousand dollars higher than Mineola, Williston Park or Albertson, in general.

There is no shopping at all to speak of but a simple cross of the train tracks will yield all you want except for a grocery store. The grocery stores, of which there are several, are all within 2 -3 miles, depending upon where you live and for some it could be as close as a few blocks.

There are many specialty shops, CVS pharmacy, Hildebrandts, Peter Andrews to name a few. Some fine restaurants and Pubs.

Here is an informational link about EW. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
If you need any more specific info feel free to ask.

Last edited by Yac; 03-27-2012 at 05:39 AM..

Old 12-21-2011, 08:39 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,020 times
East williston's high school, Wheatly, had the highest average SAT scores in Long Island in 2007. SAT Scores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island