Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Yep You will get picked on ! First , what you like and what the property owner likes may be totaly differant but that is his property, if you would like it to be decorated in a different way then you or others should make an offer to buy it .. Secondly every one should be aware of thebfact that although the city has rules your constitutional rights are of a higher law, and in this case all a person has to do is demand a verified complaint on the violation ( you see most all city are complaint driven , & not Pro active ) now being that the city is complaint driven the complaintent ( the person who did not like the liiks of the neighbors property) will have to go to court and show proof of an injury ? medical records of treatment ( sorry but that the law , Due - Process)without that evidence you ( the person who complained ) can be sued in the same court of law and have to pay damages.
LOL, here come the RV'ers to the rescue. It looks like the town code is that it must be on a paved surface so I imagine it will be moved without any court or anyone being sued (I wasn't the actual complainer) but I guess it could drag on when someone is a doo$hbag, who knows.

As for the right thing to do outside of codes and laws, I would never even consider parking some giant boat or RV on my lawn (WT) or even in my driveway BECAUSE I am considerate of my neighbors and how it might impact them. Thats just me though, I am SURE you are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 06:42 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoripp View Post
one of my lovely neighbors in nassau shores massapequa made an anonymous complaint against my property. the code enfocement agent showed up and issued a notice of violation. i was out at the time so he left the notice on my door with a contact number. he issued one notice for the following. a fence over 4 feet in height.(requires permit) a deck (requires permit) and a driveway exstension? which he said would not need a permit if it was over ten years old. however when i phoned him he informed me that i would have to move my rv trailer (no engine) and my boat and trailer from my yard onto my driveway. he returned a few days later and again instructed me to move the boat and trailer but did not issue a notice of violation. i spoke with him once more on the phone and he again demanded that i move my boat and trailer. when i asked him to issu me the notice of violation he got mad and threatened to report some sort of apron problem to the highway dept. i called the town supervisors office to get instructions to file a complaint and after speaking to steve marks was informed that the agent was doing me a favor by not issuing the notice. if that was the case why would he be demanding i move the boat and trailer? but not issue the notice to make me do it. does anyone know if you can keep a boat and trailer in your yard? i can't find any ordnace in the traffic law or town code that says otherwise. thanks
Rats too lol?

We were just discussing this on a Brookhaven thread.
I dont think you should need a permit for 6t fencing in all cases.

Are you on a corner obstructing street view?

Crooks

Old 01-07-2012, 07:25 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,771 times
Make a sign stating [PEAK A BOO] and aim it toward your neighbor that complained,then get used to living in a densely populated neighborhood.MO

Old 01-07-2012, 07:54 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
. So their!
Clever

Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,250 times
so get a permit for your unpermitted deck and fence and move your RV and boat off your lawn.

It sounds like the insepctor is doing you a favor by just asking yoiu to move them as opposed to fining you, apparently that isn't good enough?

People say to stay our of your neighbor's business, but really, having them parked on your lawn? unpermitted fences, did you even get a survey? who's being the good neighbor here?

codes besides being a pain, are there to legislate standards and acceptable behavior for an area. If you want to park things on your lawn, apparently you're in the wrong neighborhood for that.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:20 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
so get a permit for your unpermitted deck and fence and move your RV and boat off your lawn.

It sounds like the insepctor is doing you a favor by just asking yoiu to move them as opposed to fining you, apparently that isn't good enough?

People say to stay our of your neighbor's business, but really, having them parked on your lawn? unpermitted fences, did you even get a survey? who's being the good neighbor here?

codes besides being a pain, are there to legislate standards and acceptable behavior for an area. If you want to park things on your lawn, apparently you're in the wrong neighborhood for that.
I agree.

Crooks

Old 01-07-2012, 11:10 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Yep You will get picked on ! First , what you like and what the property owner likes may be totaly differant but that is his property, if you would like it to be decorated in a different way then you or others should make an offer to buy it .. Secondly every one should be aware of the fact that although the city has rules, your constitutional rights are of a higher law, and in this case all a person has to do is demand a verified complaint on the violation ( you see most all city are complaint driven , & not Pro active ) now being that the city is complaint driven the complaintent ( the person who did not like the liiks of the neighbors property) will have to go to court and show proof of an injury ? medical records of treatment ( sorry but that the law , Due - Process)without that evidence you ( the person who complained ) can be sued in the same court of law and have to pay damages.
The property in question is in a relatively economically comfortable neighborhood where houses can hit the $1 million mark. They are also situated fairly close to one another on parcels, not acres. These properties are close to the water as well.

Rather than have vehicles leaking fluids into the soil and potentially contaminating the soil and higher water table, vehicles are parked/stored on a paved pad or driveway to prevent such problems.

No one is being 'picked on'. They are merely being asked to come into compliance with the Town's code. The code enforcement agent did this guy a favor. If the OP wants to get cited for all of his violations, it is going to be very costly in the long run. A Pyrrhic victory of sorts.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:53 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Clever
Just trying to speak his language!

Old 01-22-2012, 09:35 AM

520 posts, read 1,653,259 times
You shouldn't have a boat and rv on your lawn to begin with. But, I would never report a neighbor over code violations.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 PM

19 posts, read 44,238 times
Default Lol deleted by keeper

I'm sorry but the majority of you responding havn't a clue. especially OHBEEHAVE and PEQUAboy most of you make great assumptions and then spout off. good luck with this stite. instead of valid responces most of whats posted is nonsence. you can delete this too mr keeper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island