Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are what we call "ghettos/hoods/slums" on LI really ghetto/hood/slum on a national level?
Yes 13 13.13%
Sometimes 41 41.41%
No place on LI is a real ghetto/hood/slum 44 44.44%
No, Long Island's are a lot worse. 1 1.01%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 04:08 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,058 times

Advertisements

From the US Census Bureau:

Absolutely no place on LI has a median household income below the national median (though Hempstead, Wyandanch, and Riverhead are below the (higher) state median)

Absolutely no place has a median household value below the national median (though Wyandanch and Mastic Beach are below the much higher state median).

A few places have poverty rates above the national rate----Patchogue, Wyandanch, Inwood, New Cassel, and Mastic Beach (no places in between the (lower)state and national rates).

Several places have per capita incomes below the national average----Brentwood, Central Islip, Elmont, Hempstead, Inwood, Mastic Beach, Mastic, New Cassel, North Amityville, North Bay Shore, North Bellport, Patchogue, Roosevelt, Shirley, Uniondale, and Wyandanch. (In between the national and the (higher)state average we have Bay Shore, Baywood, Copiague, Deer Park, East Farmingdale, East Patchogue, Freeport, Lakeview, Lindenhurst, North Lindenhurst, North Patchogue, Riverhead, Valley Stream, West Babylon, Wheatley Heights, and Yaphank).

So those are the stats. Basically, that's any area of Long Island I've heard referenced as a bad area (excluding Yaphank, Deer Park, East Farmingdale, and Wheatley Heights), along with Huntington Station, North Babylon, and Baldwin. So are any of these areas really "ghettos/hoods/slums" on a national scale? Looks like Wyandanch could easily be, but that's going by these facts. A lot of times, I think what we call a "bad area" on Long Island is a place with a majority/minority population and/or a low-performing school district. But is there a reliable website for crime data? A major part of being "ghetto" is gang violence, prostitution, etc. But again, are these areas really that bad? If they were compared to Detroit or Camden or East St. Louis or Compton, etc. would they still look bad? I know some of the areas listed are a lot worse then others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 04:12 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Can you post a link to your sources by the way?

Old 01-21-2012, 04:42 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,528 times
Brentwood/Wyandanch a big yea cover your heads kids!!!

Old 01-21-2012, 04:44 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Before, I begin, "slum" doesn't belong in the American vocabulary. Not even the worst of the worst areas of the country (Camden, Detroit, East St. Louis, Newark) are slum status.

It's very hard to compare and contrast a lot of long island hamlets since it's hard to find crime rates. Another thing you have to keep in mind is that some towns have a lot of senior housing and that distorts per-capita income.

As for the troubled hamlets of Long Island, I really can't consider them to be ghettoes on a national level. They're just distressed suburbs with above-average crime, poorly performing schools and properties that tend to not be as well-maintained as other areas. Many even have middle class household incomes.

The only areas of Long Island that I would consider close to ghetto status are;
- Village of Hempstead (excluding Cathedral Gardens)
- Hamlet of Brentwood
- Hamlet of Roosevelt
- Hamlet of Central Islip (excluding the Connetquot area and near the Courthouse)
- Hamlet of Wyandanch
- Hamlet of North Bellport (only the part btwn Sunrise+Montauk Hwy)
- Hamlet of Huntington Station (only the "low number" streets)
- Town of Riverhead (only a portion of it)
(^^ As you can see, even most of these communities have good/better parts)

As for the communities that aren't quite as troubled as the above but more troubled than other LI areas:
- Hamlets of Bay Shore/North Bay Shore are really getting there too, that area has had crazy amounts of crime in recent months. It's sad b/c they were really improving with those new fancy schools and revitalized downtown.
- Hamlet of Uniondale
- Village of Mastic Beach
- Village of Freeport (only the part near the LIRR tracks)
- Hamlet of Gordon Heights
- Hamlet of North Amityville (excluding the areas near the Town Pool)
- Hamlet of New Cassel

All the other areas you mentioned aren't ghettoes by any means.

I consider a ghetto to be an area with:
1. Low avg. per-capita income
2. Poorly performing schools
3. Crime higher than the national average

To see Hamlet/Village boundaries;
http://www.maps.google.com

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 01-21-2012 at 05:56 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 05:13 PM

194 posts, read 444,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
From the US Census Bureau:

Absolutely no place on LI has a median household income below the national median (though Hempstead, Wyandanch, and Riverhead are below the (higher) state median)

Absolutely no place has a median household value below the national median (though Wyandanch and Mastic Beach are below the much higher state median).

A few places have poverty rates above the national rate----Patchogue, Wyandanch, Inwood, New Cassel, and Mastic Beach (no places in between the (lower)state and national rates).

Several places have per capita incomes below the national average----Brentwood, Central Islip, Elmont, Hempstead, Inwood, Mastic Beach, Mastic, New Cassel, North Amityville, North Bay Shore, North Bellport, Patchogue, Roosevelt, Shirley, Uniondale, and Wyandanch. (In between the national and the (higher)state average we have Bay Shore, Baywood, Copiague, Deer Park, East Farmingdale, East Patchogue, Freeport, Lakeview, Lindenhurst, North Lindenhurst, North Patchogue, Riverhead, Valley Stream, West Babylon, Wheatley Heights, and Yaphank).

So those are the stats. Basically, that's any area of Long Island I've heard referenced as a bad area (excluding Yaphank, Deer Park, East Farmingdale, and Wheatley Heights), along with Huntington Station, North Babylon, and Baldwin. So are any of these areas really "ghettos/hoods/slums" on a national scale? Looks like Wyandanch could easily be, but that's going by these facts. A lot of times, I think what we call a "bad area" on Long Island is a place with a majority/minority population and/or a low-performing school district. But is there a reliable website for crime data? A major part of being "ghetto" is gang violence, prostitution, etc. But again, are these areas really that bad? If they were compared to Detroit or Camden or East St. Louis or Compton, etc. would they still look bad? I know some of the areas listed are a lot worse then others.
Out of idle curiosity, why is this even important? Why does any neighborhood have to have a label? Everything is relative. By my standards, I live comfortably on "da Riv". However, if someone from Sands Point or Cove Neck were forced to live as I do, I'm sure they would feel as if they were "slumming it".

Old 01-21-2012, 06:00 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
A lot of times, I think what we call a "bad area" on Long Island is a place with a majority/minority population and/or a low-performing school district.
/thread

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-21-2012, 06:29 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,279,800 times
Seems like you are putting most of the emphasis on money, which is only one part of a complicated equation.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:44 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
Seems like you are putting most of the emphasis on money, which is only one part of a complicated equation.
True, crime is of course part of that equation as well--but finding crime data on LI is aforementioned a bit difficult.

Oh and @LongIslandPerson my source was the US Census 2010 quickfacts (directly from the website).

Old 01-21-2012, 09:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
As the saying goes "The want of money is the root of all evil".

I mean, generally there is a trend that poorer areas (at least when you're dealing with areas that are reasonably high density) tend to have higher crime rates. Of course, there are plenty of exceptions, but that still doesn't cause the whole trend to be invalid.

I say "areas with reasonably high density" because there are plenty of poor rural areas that are very safe. There was an article about an area in Kansas where everybody qualified for free lunch, and the median income was something like $15,000 per year, and yet the kids were all well-behaved and the school didn't perform too poorly.

Then again, poverty in the rest of the world is a lot worse than poverty in the US, and yet you have some cities in the US that could be considered some of the most dangerous in the world (I remember somebody saying that New Orleans had the highest per capita murder rate of any city in the world at one point)

But as far as this thread goes, I don't think any area on LI could compare to any "ghetto" at a national level.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Talking strictly about money, I don't think any area of LI could compare with any of these areas:

Akon - Ghetto - YouTube

Crime-wise, I'm sure the ghetto in the first section of the video (one of the cities in New Jersey. Possibly Trenton) is probably worse crime-wise than any area of LI, though I'm not sure about the second and third sections (trailer park in New Mexico and Navajo Indian Reservation)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island