Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 05:22 AM

41 posts, read 60,322 times

Advertisements

New York Real Estate Market Reports | Prudential Douglas Elliman

I have been tracking Prudential Elliman's Quarterly LI housing reports for over 4 years now, and this latest one - - Q4 Nassau/Suffolk-- is without a doubt the worst one to date. All indexes (sales price, inventory, sales, listing discounts) are way down -- below even NATIONAL averages. Comparing even Q4 to last year's Q4 numbers are horrific........

What should be even more disturbing is that the report is written by the local shill of the real estate industry -- Miller Samuel (Johnathan Miller) so to me this is even worse...even he couldn't polish this turd........

Attention Buyers: you continue for the foreseable future to remain strongly in the drivers seat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 05:59 AM

95 posts, read 206,948 times
Jonathan Miller is no shill. If you read his writings and see his interviews he's got his feet firmly planted on the ground.

In any market, good or bad, agents earn money when buyers and sellers agree on a price. Good agents want good information, that's what they pay him for.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:16 AM

398 posts, read 838,341 times
Thanks for posting; I sometimes forget to check the report out each quarter.

As buyer looking to make a move in late 2013, early 2014 this is good news for me. Now if interest rates stay low until than as well, luck with being at the right point in time in my life and timing could be on my side.

I can’t see a large proportion of people who bought during the boom needing to sell and get out, so most who need to sell should be ok. I know people looking to sell and holding out for a big price, they’ve lived in the home 30+ years and should be taking a profit either way. Unless they used the equity as a ‘ATM’ and still have a mortgage.

There’s a glimmer of hope housing can become more reasonable on Long Island, not if only they lowered taxes at times instead of always asking for more, more and more from home owners.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:34 AM

418 posts, read 1,070,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
Thanks for posting; I sometimes forget to check the report out each quarter.

As buyer looking to make a move in late 2013, early 2014 this is good news for me. Now if interest rates stay low until than as well, luck with being at the right point in time in my life and timing could be on my side.
Well, luck is with you - just yesterday Bernanke announced intent to extend the low interest rates at least till end of 2014.

I think, for young people in particular, the smart thing to do (if possible) is to stay put and save good downpayment before making the move - it is one of those rare times when the buyer has that luxury.

Trends are very local, though - interestingly, for Stony Brook, the price per sq ft has been rising steadily for an year now (about $60, $80 rise if you believe the data). Surrounding areas do not exhibit that. This can be due to a switch in the type of houses offered - more smaller houses than bigger ones, and may not reflect change in house price.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:21 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,997,280 times
And yet they still build.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,033,203 times
I haven't looked at the report yet, but just a note concerning "everything being down"... Of all the categories listed, inventory is one you would expect to see UP as a bad sign - not down.

Shadow inventory is always the big question.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:46 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,338,841 times
To put things into perspective, look at what we thought in 2007 / 2008..... its really interesting.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-buy-into.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-island/301537-good-time-buy.html

Warning: clamboy was alive and kicking then.... but where did LongIslandBubble go ? shoo'ed out of this forum ?

Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
buyers may still have the supposed upper-hand, but it's pretty bad stock out there unless you pay upwards of half a mil.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:48 AM

13,512 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
buyers may still have the supposed upper-hand, but it's pretty bad stock out there unless you pay upwards of half a mil.
If you are looking for a colonial, yes.

You can get some updated ranches, high ranches, and splits in good school districts for low 4's now..in Suffolk anyway. I know compared to the rest of the country that's a joke, even talking about 1960's floor plans as being acceptable, but this is Long Island.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:07 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,765,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
If you are looking for a colonial, yes.

You can get some updated ranches, high ranches, and splits in good school districts for low 4's now..in Suffolk anyway. I know compared to the rest of the country that's a joke, even talking about 1960's floor plans as being acceptable, but this is Long Island.
if you're willing to "settle" for homes in the Deer Park, West Babylon, and Lindenhurst districts you can be in the 200s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island