Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:30 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Gluten free? If you want gluten pal you're gonna have to pay for it!
Lol. The gluten free menus are a lot more expensive. Anyone know why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 AM

155 posts, read 426,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Lol. The gluten free menus are a lot more expensive. Anyone know why?
Most likely because for a product to be truly gluten free, it cannot come into contact with any gluten-containing products.

As an extreme example, you may a bag of peanuts and it will read on the back "product may contain wheat." This is a sign to the gluten-resistant person.

Some people are so sensitive to gluten they can get violently sick from any cross-contaimination. Not unlike some people who die from eating any peanut-related piece of dust. Although gluten-sensitive people generally dont die from one incident.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
This "Gluten Free" fad will soon be history
Thank the Lord, someone from the Gluten Lobby has contributed their two cents ...

Old 03-10-2012, 06:46 PM

23 posts, read 24,945 times
Peter B- Sorry to tell you that 'gluten free' has NOTHING to do with diets.
Gluten is a protein that is found in wheat and wheat related products. It is what makes things 'sticky', ie pie crusts, cinnimon buns, yeast-rolls. It holds cookies together so they don't 'crumble'.
People who are Gluten sensitive have an allergic reaction to gluten. The allergy shows as inflammation in the intestines, making it impossible to absorb nutrients from foods because the 'cilia', (hairlike fingers that absorb nutients) have become damaged or die. The result is nutrition deficiency, gas, lots of mucous in stools, mild-to-very painful/distended abdomen after eating and even after meals. Extended abdomen, lethargy, Thyroid disease, depression, fibromyalgia, vit D deficit, to name a few. The theory is because we have altered the actual wheat/grain DNA over the last 100 years- we want our wheat fields to grow faster, bigger. produce more per acre, be resistant to disease and pests..this has changed 'wheat'. It is no longer what we ate many years ago and a large number (possibly up to 70%) cannot process the food in the digestive tract. It has NOTHING to do with diet. Sometimes people who go GF(gluten free) do lose weight because they no longer eat large amounts of breads.cookies/pies/cakes, etc that contain gluten. They have to eat a more healthful diet, resulting in some weight loss. Depending on how severe the disease is in the individual, it may take a few months to a few years for the intestines to become healthy again.
Hope this helps you understand 'Gluten Free' better.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:22 PM

156 posts, read 303,860 times
The best part about Mama's (The Original) is the service and dedication of the owners. They were so nice and let me try several things for free. I think the bread is the next best thing and the fact that they also have several gluten free dairy free soy free desserts. Also Portobello is Port Jefferson has gluten free options and will make anything you like. Tuesay night is great, it's chicken night! This food is better than Mama's actually. The Pizza Stop in Lake Ronkonkoma (on Portion Rd) They definitely have the best pizza I've tried. The crust is just like a regular wheat filled pizza. The owners are actually related to the owners of Mama's. The problem I have is that I cannot eat soy or dairy either, so finding a pizza like this is not easy! Unctorius, the link you sent me did not have any info, so I sent an email but I didn't get a response. I'd def. be interested in finding out more.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:23 PM

aircorps, you have explained that perfectly : )

Old 03-11-2012, 03:27 PM

When I lived in Nassau (Oceanside) My favorite gluten free pizza was from Amore Mio on Sunrise Highway. It has a thin crust, but tastes great.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:11 PM

114 posts, read 850,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp3530 View Post
When I lived in Nassau (Oceanside) My favorite gluten free pizza was from Amore Mio on Sunrise Highway. It has a thin crust, but tastes great.
yes! very good pizza indeed.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:46 PM

112 posts, read 257,765 times
The Mama's restaraunt referred to is on the South side of Montauk hwy just West of the Oakdale LIRR station. There is also a Mary's Pizza and italian food restaraunt in Islip Terrace and in Farmingdale that has a great gluten free menu as well. I was diagnosed with Celiac 10 years ago and the availability of decent gluten free foods has increased dramatically!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:43 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
last night we went to Para Bell in Patchogue. Though they are not a "GF" restaurant per say, their food is cooked fresh so they can accommodate pretty much anything. The Chicken Milanese, which usually comes fully breaded was changed to a standard grilled chicken upon request due to my wife's gluten allergy.

I had the Chophouse Burger*, Mint Chocolate Chip Cheesecake* and OMG double rainbow in my mouth!! (*not GF)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island