Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 09:02 PM

431 posts, read 1,310,511 times

Advertisements

Will this be for us, or only for some "special interests"? Will this raise taxes without benefit to us?
This came out of the blue, this is the first I heard about this. I saw no announcement of a public meeting. Are these secret public meetings? Who is holding these meetings? Remember how they ran sewer lines to Tangers, but wouldn't let residents along the route tap into it? Anyone have any info?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vote on sewer district could come in fall

Vote on sewer district could come in fall

February 17, 2012 by DENISE M. BONILLA / denise.bonilla@newsday.com

A public referendum on either expanding the Southwest Sewer District or creating an entirely new district in parts of Babylon and Islip may come as soon as this fall, county officials said during a public meeting on the issue.

The projection came during a meeting Thursday at the Bergen Point Sewage Treatment Plant in West Babylon, which officials said was the first of three public meetings on the possible sewer expansion.

The expansion would be offered to six communities north of the Southern State Parkway: Wyandanch, Wheatley Heights, Deer Park, West Babylon, North Babylon and West Islip.

The creation of the Southwest Sewer District in the 1970s was mired in a corruption scandal, delays and tripled costs, effectively ending sewer expansion in Suffolk County. As a result, county officials estimate at least 70 percent of the county relies on cesspools.

The county has already approved expanding capacity at the Bergen Point plant that processes the sewage, from 30.5 million gallons per day to 40.5 million. The site averages 26 million gallons. The addition of the 18,000 parcels would mean an extra 12 million to 15 million gallons flowing into the plant, which county officials cited as a "worst-case scenario."

In early July, engineers are expected to present to the county a draft feasibility study, including design options and cost. A public meeting will follow later that month. The final report is due to be completed in August with the final public meeting in September, officials said.

The county is paying $400,000 to Dvirka & Bartilucci, Gannett Fleming Engineers, PC/LiRo Program & Construction Management, Cashin Associates and Nova Consulting for the study. Ben Wright, principal civil engineer with the county public works department, said even if an expansion is approved, it could take at least seven years before a shovel hits the ground.

Many of the residents who packed the meeting expressed frustration.

Alice Cone, head of the Belmont Lake Civic Association, told the group that residents had waited long enough and needed sewers for their health. "I don't want to wait seven years," she said. "I want them now!"

Anthony Macaluso, 53, of Deer Park, told officials "nothing encouraging" was being said. "I don't know if I'll see it in my lifetime. I don't even know if my children will see it."

Tempers also flared when engineers said they would be looking for places of "prioritization" such as downtown revitalization and industrial areas.

Legis. Wayne Horsley (D-Babylon) said businesses might be targeted because they can help defray the costs, as the expansion could cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

Legislation introduced by Legis. Steve Stern (D-Huntington) would help to fund the district expansion, Stern said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island