Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:57 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,473 times

Advertisements

i would hate to think immigrants get categorized by 'a gut' feeling as to whether one is legal or illegal. the 'looking like straight out of boat' means exactly what? not clean enough? not waring the brands you would recognize? not hm white enough? what? from what i can tell, patchogue has a large number of latino population, but neither you or i can know if one is legal or illegal. in fact, we shouldn't even wonder. would you know if you saw a white male, clean-cut, dressed nicely if he is legal or illegal? nope. and we don't even wonder when we see one, do we?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINY89 View Post
I remember growing up, Patchogue was really never as nice or as clean cut as the Bayport-Blue Point or Sayville areas, and though Patchogue has seen a resurgence of youth and a new makeover with a vibrant downtown, I still notice the same thing: the illegal immigrant problem.

You may call me a racist, whatever...there is nothing racist about noticing the obvious. Everyday I drive through Patchogue it seems there are 5 straight off the boat looking hispanic immigrants for every 1 average white citizen walking the streets. It's just so shady...you see them riding bikes at midnight, walking around with hoods on, loitering in parking lots, at laundromats, etc. I have noticed many new hispanic stores like "Mi Terrieta" or something close to that, "El Pollo Rico", "Latino Express", etc. These stores were never here decades ago. You have to figure many of these people are here illegally. How do I know? Well, it's a gut feeling...you can tell by the shadiness they don't understand American culture. Beeping and blowing kisses at 16 year old girls is not the norm here, nor is loitering and littering in parking lots as grown men. They have the "NY" hats, but not Yankees hats or anything...they are generic brand like the kind they sell in the city for cheap. You can just tell they are not assimilated at all and it makes them stick out. Legal immigrants are much more assimilated and more in touch with American culture.

I would seriously bet that if I stopped and demanded them to give me proof they are here legally, at least half wouldn't be able to. If you look like you're still living in Mexico and you are in dirty clothes without speaking a word of english, yes chances are you are illegal. Why is nothing being done about this? I swear in 25 years Patchogue will be 50% latino full of many anchor babies.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 PM

absolutely right, but good ole american either wants 20+ an hour to do these jobs or goes on welfare indefinitely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINY89 View Post
I hate when people say Americans won't do their jobs. How did these jobs get done before these illegal aliens came? Someone did them right? These were your Italian, Irish, Asian immigrants etc. Someone will always do them. There are MANY blacks in this country who need those jobs to stay off the streets as well. That's why you see so many of them marching in anti-illegal immigration rallies, because they are their competition. We did fine without illegals before and we will do fine WITHOUT them.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:04 PM

one of my neighbors, for sure american , has not worked in his yard for 3 years now, and his house stands out like a sore thumb. but he is legal alright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Is it racism when someone points out that a particular gender of a particular ethnic group would rather do things the way they did back on the old sod as opposed to assimilating (in public) into the culture in which they currently reside?

The newcomers (illegal? legal? protected status?) in Patchogue are doing themselves a great disservice by not taking a few simple steps to blend in with the community.

If someone lived in a neighborhood where everyone left their trash cans out all the time and then moved to a neighborhood where everyone brought they cans in promptly -- how would the neighbors feel about the newcomer who left their cans out all the time?

When in Rome, right?

Old 03-15-2012, 02:45 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
illegal =/= trashy
illegal = something you shouldn't be doing, therefore stop doing it.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:17 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I had asked you not to insult each other or quarrel back and forth. I also asked that this not be an anti-immigrant thread. This is not the forum for that. This thread is closed until keeper and I can have a chance to review it.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island