Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:57 AM

26 posts, read 126,723 times

Advertisements

Well, my cousin's house, but I'm living with him. He has an extra room available and he just got laid off so he needs to rent the room out to help pay for taxes and such. Can anyone recommend a good realtor that preferably wouldn't cost too much? I can't seem to get anyone on my own with ads on craigslist and such so our only other option is a realtor, except he's really not in a position to be able to pay a lot for a realtor. I've never done this before so if anyone could help I would appreciate it.

P.S- We live in Levittown btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 04:14 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,808,045 times
dont do it.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:16 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
People are welcome to send you recommendations via DM, but City-Data does not permit real estate recommendations in the forums.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:20 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
This is sheer insanity and you are looking for trouble. The most you could ask for is a months security and a months rent, even going crazy here on LI what do you think the total would be maybe $2000. (Like I said only a fool would pay $1000 for a room). So you now have a stranger in your home with full access to the contents. What do you think it would take to surpass the $2000 mark in terms of theft. A laptop, and a TV and a camera depending upon the value maybe a little less maybe a little more. BAD IDEA.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKE3714 View Post
Well, my cousin's house, but I'm living with him. He has an extra room available and he just got laid off so he needs to rent the room out to help pay for taxes and such. Can anyone recommend a good realtor that preferably wouldn't cost too much? I can't seem to get anyone on my own with ads on craigslist and such so our only other option is a realtor, except he's really not in a position to be able to pay a lot for a realtor. I've never done this before so if anyone could help I would appreciate it.

P.S- We live in Levittown btw.
If you're doing this legally, it would be a "house share", where the tenant rents a room but shares access to the kitchen and a bathroom. On Long Island, the tenant pays the fee, not the landlord!

Don't know all the details, but your cousin could most likely get somewhere between $500-$700/mo, depending on the overall situation.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:54 AM

That is exactly what he was going to do, the house share and sell for $750 with everything included and access to kitchen, living room, basement, W/D, backyard, and computer room. There are plenty of house shares out there that are more than $700 a month, some are even $1,000, we're only asking for $700 and with the price of apartments and everything on the island, I'd say it's a pretty good deal. I'm just trying to find someone to help us find people because ads on Craigslist are not cutting it.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
This is sheer insanity and you are looking for trouble. The most you could ask for is a months security and a months rent, even going crazy here on LI what do you think the total would be maybe $2000. (Like I said only a fool would pay $1000 for a room). So you now have a stranger in your home with full access to the contents. What do you think it would take to surpass the $2000 mark in terms of theft. A laptop, and a TV and a camera depending upon the value maybe a little less maybe a little more. BAD IDEA.

Are you aware of how many people do house shares on Long Island? It's extremely common. And I never ever said we were charging 1,000. We're charging $750 with everything included PLUS doing a background check.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:25 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Are you aware of how many people do house shares on Long Island? It's extremely common. And I never ever said we were charging 1,000. We're charging $750 with everything included PLUS doing a background check.

No I am not aware but I am interested in the number and where that info is available. Please tell me, because I am beyond stunned that the numbers would be that great.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:10 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
That is exactly what he was going to do, the house share and sell for $750 with everything included and access to kitchen, living room, basement, W/D, backyard, and computer room. There are plenty of house shares out there that are more than $700 a month, some are even $1,000, we're only asking for $700 and with the price of apartments and everything on the island, I'd say it's a pretty good deal. I'm just trying to find someone to help us find people because ads on Craigslist are not cutting it.

Ask around about a reliable RE agent who does rentals in your area. The fee will be paid by the tenant.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
No I am not aware but I am interested in the number and where that info is available. Please tell me, because I am beyond stunned that the numbers would be that great.
Look around on Craigslist. Check on any realtor website that shows rentals. You will see many house shares.

Because of the high taxes a lot of people will rent out an empty bedroom in their home to someone to help pay the their taxes/mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island