Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:25 PM

26 posts, read 30,020 times

Advertisements

She will be working at the Cohen Children’s Medical Center of New York (formerly Schneider Children’s Hospital) – part of the North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System -- which is in Lake Success, near to Hype Park. I do not know the area at all and am concerned as she will be with a group of young women.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 01:39 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,609 times
Any of the north shore town are upscale and safe. If they can afford it, they should look into a summer rental in long beach, which is actually on the south shore, but it's a good place for young people, very walk able and lots to do.

Even in the richest neighborhoods, common sense is always needed, no place is 100% safe 24/7.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:50 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
What kind of hours is she working? Rockville Centre is a lovely area too, but it is on the south shore and a bit of a drive to get there. I use to live in RVC and personally would rather be closer to the hospital no matter what hours I was working as it is a congested drive during rush no matter how you travel and off -off hours I did not enjoy driving alone.

New Hyde Park is a nice area and I am very familiar with the hospital. I would suggest that she keep to the Nassau County portion as opposed to Queens as the hospital borders both.

Here are a few other area I would not mind to live in if I were she.
Mineola, Franklin Square, Floral Park among others area all close to the hospital and you can check the MLS site for local rentals. MLSLI.com.

I would also suggest a call to Human Resources as they always handle questions like this for staff who are in from out of town.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post
Any of the north shore town are upscale and safe. If they can afford it, they should look into a summer rental in long beach, which is actually on the south shore, but it's a good place for young people, very walk able and lots to do.

Even in the richest neighborhoods, common sense is always needed, no place is 100% safe 24/7.
Funny you should mention that. An out-of-town friend just looked into a summer house rental in Long Beach. $6,000 a month plus utilities.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
What kind of hours is she working? Rockville Centre is a lovely area too, but it is on the south shore and a bit of a drive to get there. I use to live in RVC and personally would rather be closer to the hospital no matter what hours I was working as it is a congested drive during rush no matter how you travel and off -off hours I did not enjoy driving alone.

New Hyde Park is a nice area and I am very familiar with the hospital. I would suggest that she keep to the Nassau County portion as opposed to Queens as the hospital borders both.

Mineola, Franklin Square, Floral Park among others area all close to the hospital and you can check the MLS site for local rentals. MLSLI.com.

I would also suggest a call to Human Resources as they always handle questions like this for staff who are in from out of town.
Yeah but who is subletting their homes in these areas during the summer? Not many I would bet. If she wants sublets, I would say try Manhattan or Queens and reverse commute.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Funny you should mention that. An out-of-town friend just looked into a summer house rental in Long Beach. $6,000 a month plus utilities.
Its expensive but if she is splitting it with 3 others, assuming utilites cost $200 a month thats $1550 a person, not too bad for LI especially in a nice area.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yeah but who is subletting their homes in these areas during the summer? Not many I would bet. If she wants sublets, I would say try Manhattan or Queens and reverse commute.
That would be a horrible commute without a car and with a car where are they going to park in Manhattan?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:01 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srb162 View Post
She will be working at the Cohen Children’s Medical Center of New York (formerly Schneider Children’s Hospital) – part of the North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System -- which is in Lake Success, near to Hype Park. I do not know the area at all and am concerned as she will be with a group of young women.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
This area is perfectly safe. I wouldn't worry at all.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

What's wrong with the Queens portion? I live there - it's safe!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:03 AM

Check out Bellerose, Glen Oaks, Floral Park (Queens). Have you tried Craig's List?

Glen Oaks Village (right next door) often has sublets.

www.glenoaksvillage.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island