Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:15 AM

791 posts, read 1,623,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You are quite the sage on raising a child, maybe one day you will have a chance to try it out. You assume the kids who stray into drugs/drinking received no upbringing or guidance boy are you wrong. And I really like your justification that their will be "a chance for rehab"....

Remember Columbine and Sandy Hook were upper middle class / affluent communities.... I won't deny that poorer localities bring more social problems into the schools but to assume that they are bad kids, violent and going to fail because of it is just ignorant.
I've found it's really easy for someone to be an "expert" when they don't actually have to do the thing they're busy being an "expert" in. People who are actually in the trenches of anything truly difficult (whether it's parenting, working, etc.) are generally experienced enough to know that there's no such thing as an "expert."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANiceChianti View Post
Wait a minute. Isn't Connetquot the district where the same person plotted TWO bomb attacks? Must be a dangerous school.

Now we've eliminated "bad" school districts, affluent school districts, and in between. Guess it's time to homeschool!
True, but the odds of being a victim of random violence is far greater in Pat-Med or William Floyd than in Connetquot.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:11 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You are quite the sage on raising a child, maybe one day you will have a chance to try it out. You assume the kids who stray into drugs/drinking received no upbringing or guidance boy are you wrong. And I really like your justification that their will be "a chance for rehab"....

Remember Columbine and Sandy Hook were upper middle class / affluent communities.... I won't deny that poorer localities bring more social problems into the schools but to assume that they are bad kids, violent and going to fail because of it is just ignorant.
Still, a kid has a greater chance of being a victim of random violence in Pat-Med or William Floyd than in Connetquot. Why MajorTom1982 chose Pat-Med over Connetquot is beyond me.

My other point is that drugs at least I'd have some control over, but not random violence. Also, if a kid is shot and killed or paralyzed, you don't get a second chance. With drugs, there is at least a chance of rehab.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:37 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times
Anyone know of any random acts of violence in any LI district that has maimed or killed anyone

Old 04-03-2014, 12:14 PM

413 posts, read 599,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
My other point is that drugs at least I'd have some control over, but not random violence. Also, if a kid is shot and killed or paralyzed, you don't get a second chance. With drugs, there is at least a chance of rehab.
No one has control over drugs...no one. Random violence on LI is pretty rare. OD death (often on the 1st try) is becoming common. You seem to be quite unclear on both subjects.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:51 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,810 times
How the freaking heck did a thread on senior housing turn into a Mits thread??

Old 04-03-2014, 01:33 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
How the freaking heck did a thread on senior housing turn into a Mits thread??
The vortex is unstoppable ... it can suck in everything it wants to! LULZ!

Old 04-03-2014, 01:40 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The vortex is unstoppable ... it can suck in everything it wants to! LULZ!
you know what, I'm ok with it! His opinions are pure gold. i wish he'd post more often.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:57 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Still, a kid has a greater chance of being a victim of random violence in Pat-Med or William Floyd than in Connetquot. Why MajorTom1982 chose Pat-Med over Connetquot is beyond me.

I am in no position to comment on specific districts..

As for parenting advice walk a mile before you start talking..

Old 04-03-2014, 02:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
I had already answered that question, but the moderator deleted it. You can teach your kids to stay away from drugs. And if your kid gets into drugs, most likely, there will be a chance for rehab before he/she would die from an overdose. But there is nothing you can do to stop your kid from dying if he/she gets caught in a crossfire, or is the victim of gang violence.
Where are all these bad school related gang shootings taking place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island