Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:49 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,733,826 times

Advertisements

PS: If you do your research and decide the overpriced sandbar is where you want to live, I have a VERY important piece of advice for you: Do NOT NOT NOT rent in a private home!!!! Find a building or a complex to rent in. You don't want to rent in a 2 family home. I've made that mistake and will NEVER do it again!!!!! "Landlord" constantly in your business; coming into your apartment when you're not home "just to see" or to "inspect"; always one problem or another when no real problem exists.

Another thing to keep in mind is, on Long Island, tenants do NOT have the same protections as they do in NYC. Legally, they do. In reality, they don't. The landlords (esp private homes) know this and take full advantage of it. It's a disgrace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 10:18 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,872,802 times
I wouldn't rule out private homes esp. if you are not really tight on finances, given the scarcity of rental communities in LI. Talk to the landlord before you sign the lease and see if he or she is someone you can get along with. On your end, try not to be a difficult tenant and understand up front what is allowed and what is not. The last apartment I rented in Queens was in a family home and I had a smooth and professional relationship with my landlord - always paying rent on time and not witholding anything for whatever reason.

My suggestion would be to look for something along/near the Jericho Turnpike in New Hyde Park, Franklin Square or Steart Manor. Or along Northern Blvd. in Little Neck, Douglaston, Port Washington, Lake Success or Great Neck Plaza. If you lease a small car/subcompact, you are within 5 - 10 minutes drive to amenities like malls, groceries, retail chains restaurants and bars. Restaurant and bar scene is not comparable to Manhattan but unless you are a picky eater, you will find some advantages (ie, easier to get a seat, less noise, lower cost, etc.). You will also be close to the Meadowbrook Parkway where you can drive down to the beach. These areas also have LIRR stations nearby where you can commute to Manhattan (Mineola stop has multi level parking, I think). If you want to try further out then look at Huntington Village.

Overall your QOL just might get better with such a move.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:01 PM

192 posts, read 355,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I will give you something typical RVC. The Schools do not have an advanced program like most schools have for gifted kids.

RVC claims it is because all RVC students are gifted and above average there is no need to have such a program.
It's my understanding that RVC is one of the only districts on LI, maybe even NYS that has the International Baccalaureate program.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyvegan View Post
It's my understanding that RVC is one of the only districts on LI, maybe even NYS that has the International Baccalaureate program.
Unlikely. Northport has IB as does Dobbs Ferry.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:54 PM

791 posts, read 1,624,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Unlikely. Northport has IB as does Dobbs Ferry.
I'm pretty sure that's why the previous poster said "one of the only" and not "the only."

The fact is that IB is exceptionally rare on LI.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:03 PM

It's not that rare in Long Island either, assuming that's what she meant - "one of the few". There are about 9 high schools in LI that offer IB diploma so people looking for it have choices.

A lot more in NYC.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:38 PM

703 posts, read 1,175,057 times
Quote:
It's not that rare in Long Island either, assuming that's what she meant - "one of the few". There are about 9 high schools in LI that offer IB diploma so people looking for it have choices.

A lot more in NYC.

There is also Bay Shore, Commack, Locust Valley, Long Beach, Northport/East Northport, and West Islip.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:44 PM

791 posts, read 1,624,297 times
Quote:

A lot more in NYC.
There are 122 school districts on Long Island. I'd personally consider 9/122 to be pretty limited.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
There are 122 school districts on Long Island. I'd personally consider 9/122 to be pretty limited.
Not if you're choosing high schools to attend other than RVC. You can only go to 1 high school at a time so having 9 choices is not limited. Don't like RVC? There's 8 other options like Bay Shore, Happauge, Commack, Locust Valley, etc.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:12 PM

703 posts, read 1,175,057 times
Quote:
Not if you're choosing high schools to attend other than RVC. You can only go to 1 high school at a time so having 9 choices is not limited. Don't like RVC? There's 8 other options like Bay Shore, Happauge, Commack, Locust Valley, etc.
Exactly. And unless you have a child in high school when you move, there's no guarantee the program will still be in place when you could benefit from it.

And, IB is not universally appealing: Class Struggle - The untruth about International Baccalaureate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island