Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:46 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Right to work doesn't mean no unions.
True, but it also means very limited power and influence. NOTHING like unions up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:51 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,997,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
Poor idea, since the vineyards alone jam up traffic for miles on the weekend. It's just too far off the beaten path, better to just leave it rural and bolster local farming, etc. Eastern Suffolk has its own local industries being developed, bringing the city out there would only be detrimental to LI as a whole.

And you not opposed to a mall i go out to the riverhead track every week
and the tanger traffic is a little worse then the tracks.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:25 AM

456 posts, read 1,429,031 times
I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. The existing Riverhead track has been there for years. So? Tanger, while not as long, has been there for years, also. Since Tanger was put in place, Easter LI has begun redeveloping a nice agricultural economy, especially since the real estate market is toast and fuel prices are up. The farms and vineyards also help maintain a calm, rural aestetic that itself draws and maintains tourism. I know I drive out east to the vineyards for a day out with the wife. If people want the city, they can go to NY city. If you overdevelop the rest of the island, its uniqueness will be lost. And for what? Also, I didn't say that I supported a mall, either, so I seem to be having trouble understanding your point. Please, clarify.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:30 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,514 times
Quote:
I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. The existing Riverhead track has been there for years. So? Tanger, while not as long, has been there for years, also. Since Tanger was put in place, Easter LI has begun redeveloping a nice agricultural economy, especially since the real estate market is toast and fuel prices are up. The farms and vineyards also help maintain a calm, rural aestetic that itself draws and maintains tourism. I know I drive out east to the vineyards for a day out with the wife. If people want the city, they can go to NY city. If you overdevelop the rest of the island, its uniqueness will be lost. And for what? Also, I didn't say that I supported a mall, either, so I seem to be having trouble understanding your point. Please, clarify.
I understand your point about vineyards and agrobusiness, but in Nassau County, "uniqueness" is a code word for NIMBY!! Almost all attempts at attracting progressive business or real estate development is beaten back as an attempt to subvert our "unique suburban character." It's BS.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I understand your point about vineyards and agrobusiness, but in Nassau County, "uniqueness" is a code word for NIMBY!! Almost all attempts at attracting progressive business or real estate development is beaten back as an attempt to subvert our "unique suburban character." It's BS.
The last candidate against Kate Murray was woefully unprepared and a relative unknown.

If we want to get rid of Kate McNimby, we have to find a suitable candidate to run against her to support in the next election.

Otherwise we are doomed to more of the same.

Also, judging from today's Newsday, the Town of Oyster Bay has some significant problems of misconduct with incumbent entitled Repubs. Another regime that needs to fall.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:22 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Not in "right to work" Florida they dont!
Sorry, but Disney World is heavily unionized. Multiple unions representing more than 20,000 WDW workers.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:41 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Sorry, but Disney World is heavily unionized. Multiple unions representing more than 20,000 WDW workers.
You are correct, but the unions in Florida are for the most part a joke compared to what they are up here in NY.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:45 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
LI could lose 400-600,000 by 2050 , most will stay on the Island but move into the city.....the suburban areas of LI will start to lose people later this decade and it will pick up in the 2020s.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:08 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,997,100 times
Quote:

i just meant your not in favor of a track so would you rather be in favor of a mall? odds are no matter what if anything goes there it will bring traffic
atleast a racetracks traffic is only 1 day a week.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:18 PM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Disney World. As stated previously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island