Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:45 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
we got one and I didn't get the details on it - seems like a crap reward... $5 probably doesn't even buy 1 item in that store. On the flipside, getting to $250 is quite easy.
I agree they used to be better as the cumulative total didn't expire and the points accumulated until they sent you a reward certificate now it is an annual expiration. But for me $5 is still better in my pocket than hicks.

Another thing I do often is browse in Hicks and then come home and buy the stuff online. If they are the only game in town and it is something I really want then I will decide if I want to part with the extra money or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 05:22 AM

38 posts, read 94,301 times
I vote for Hicks and Garden World if you want to get ripped off!!

Sure, they have a bigger and nicer looking selection, but when you get down to the facts, I'm sure they all buy their flowers from the same growers that deliver to Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. It's all in the presentation of the store that makes people think they're getting something "better" and paying more for the same thing.

I've found smaller, privately owned garden centers to have just as nice selections and much lower prices than the rip-off places . . . Zaino's Nursery on Brush Hollow Road, Westbury; Westminster Garden Center across from National Liquidators in West Hempstead; Fischetti's on Hempstead Avenue, West Hempstead. My favorite places are out east in Wading River by the farms and wineries, they have some beautiful stuff at great prices. I'd rather spend the money on gas to get there and enjoy a nice day out, rather than getting ripped off.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 650 times
Dees Nursery in Oceanside blows them all out of the water. Their selection is second to none and their prices and quality are far superior to the other mentioned stores.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:16 AM

654 posts, read 2,120,950 times
I second Dee's on Atlantic Avenue in Oceanside. The have wonderful product. I still go their despite the hike for me.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:49 AM

111 posts, read 223,216 times
I would never go to Dee's. Some years ago they hassled a woman for discreetly breastfeeding there, and as far as I know, still don't allow it on the premises. Not okay.

Plus their prices suck.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:37 PM

909 posts, read 1,837,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Century View Post
I would never go to Dee's. Some years ago they hassled a woman for discreetly breastfeeding there, and as far as I know, still don't allow it on the premises. Not okay.

Plus their prices suck.
What a strange comment. One could plan to avoid the need. I agree the prices are steep but, great quality and selection. Also excellent service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island