Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:12 AM

9 posts, read 40,996 times

Advertisements

I keep on getting phone calls from landscapers about spraying my yard with insect repellent. The first treatment costs around $85, but it seems like they are going to want to spray a few times over the summer.

My yard is pretty much all grass.

Is this service worth it? Does it really work? Or is this just something they scare you into doing?

Is it any more effective than finding a bug killer that attaches to the hose at Lowe'e or Home Depot and doing it myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 10:43 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
They want to make money - but if you're talking about spraying your grass for ticks (think Lyme ticks especially), it's not a bad idea if you live in an area with deer. And if you get your house sprayed around the perimeter, that will keep insects out of your house temporarily, but it is toxic and costs plenty -

That being said, we used to get our oak trees sprayed with dormant oil and also worm killer. If we hadn't done that, the worms would have defoliated the tree to the point where the tree would send out a second set of new leaves. If that happens enough it will weaken the tree to the point where it will die off from using too much energy to produce two sets of leaves per season.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:40 AM

9 posts, read 40,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
They want to make money - but if you're talking about spraying your grass for ticks (think Lyme ticks especially), it's not a bad idea if you live in an area with deer. And if you get your house sprayed around the perimeter, that will keep insects out of your house temporarily, but it is toxic and costs plenty -

That being said, we used to get our oak trees sprayed with dormant oil and also worm killer. If we hadn't done that, the worms would have defoliated the tree to the point where the tree would send out a second set of new leaves. If that happens enough it will weaken the tree to the point where it will die off from using too much energy to produce two sets of leaves per season.
It wasn't for ticks or any specific problem. He just said it is going to be very buggy this year and what he would do would help against mosquitoes and other insects.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 AM

3,521 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty30 View Post
I keep on getting phone calls from landscapers about spraying my yard with insect repellent. The first treatment costs around $85, but it seems like they are going to want to spray a few times over the summer.

My yard is pretty much all grass.

Is this service worth it? Does it really work? Or is this just something they scare you into doing?

Is it any more effective than finding a bug killer that attaches to the hose at Lowe'e or Home Depot and doing it myself?
Rip off....

Old 05-08-2012, 12:27 PM

200 posts, read 379,924 times
Default Don't do it-if you have pets or kids

I have dogs and I do not allow my landscaper to spray or put down anything that is chemical.

There are tons of organic options (garlic spray for example for squeeters and other flying bugs--they hate the smell), Diatomaceous earth (All nurseries sell that), etc that are JUST as effective as costly chemicals.

Google around. That's what I did. My dogs are flea free for years (and I don't use the vet's chemicals on them either) and my yard comfortable.

Last edited by Cosmosandmind; 05-08-2012 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-08-2012, 03:25 PM

72 posts, read 158,810 times
Sounds kinda high $$$$
I know I'm in Atlanta right now but.....my landscaper only charges $30 a visit for complete insect spraying

Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
Depending on the size of the property, it depends on the price.

Also remember if you spray chemicals, you are required to flag your property and let the public know that there were pesticides put down.

I used to be in the business for over 20 years and do know what I am talking about. The regulations are horrendous for those legally in the business and that also adds to the price. If you do not want bugs and do not want any on your property, then the proper way to deal with it is professionally. Most people when they mix the chemicals put down too much. There is a reason why the label states how to mix it.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,428 times
Hurray Cosmos! I am in the pet grooming business and I refuse to use the topicals on my pets. If one googles those products they can see the horror stories. I also use DE in my yard. Non-toxic and effective. Agway has a spray that attaches to the garden hose. It is called Ecosmart and I have used it for the last 2 summers. Very effective. Even on chiggers in my yard. We need to lighten up on the toxic chemicals. Not only are they bad for the environment but they are poison to us and our pets!!! I educate all the people I come into contact with at my job!
One other thing: I used Borax around the perimeter of my house and it stopped ants from coming in. I assume it has stopped other bugs from setting up camp around my house too.

Last edited by J5K5LY; 05-08-2012 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: added to post

Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmosandmind View Post
I have dogs and I do not allow my landscaper to spray or put down anything that is chemical.

There are tons of organic options (garlic spray for example for squeeters and other flying bugs--they hate the smell), Diatomaceous earth (All nurseries sell that), etc that are JUST as effective as costly chemicals.

Google around. That's what I did. My dogs are flea free for years (and I don't use the vet's chemicals on them either) and my yard comfortable.

Garlic: the day it is applied, I get a huge craving for pizza.

Ive never done DE. Do you apply it with a spreader?

Old 05-09-2012, 06:52 AM

200 posts, read 379,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Garlic: the day it is applied, I get a huge craving for pizza.

Ive never done DE. Do you apply it with a spreader?
LOL on the garlic, I know. It's actually a liquid mixture. I buy that online from all natural garden supply places. When you first spray it is really strong but eventually goes away. It is safe to spray right on your flowers, roses, etc too.

There is a citronella spray you can use as well , if you don't like the garlic. Addionally, there are quite a few plants that are natural repellants. Planted strategically around your deck or patio, you will have bug free summers

As with anything natural, you do have to do this more often them chemicals but to me, my pets, the environment, my health etc., are worth it. Here's a list of all natural oils that you can use as alternatives to the garlic (I personally love the clove smell and have used it a few times):

Citronella Oil
Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
Cinnamon Oil
Castor Oil
Rosemary Oil
Lemongrass Oil
Cedar Oil
Peppermint Oil
Clove Oil

The Diatomaceous earth, I spread by hand (using gloves). I spread all around my foundation and in flower beds (want to make sure the dogs don't inadvertently eat it). I initially looked into this solution because of those brown jumping spiders or crickets (whatever they are) in my basement. Since I've been doing this, all gone. Yay!

It kills all manner of bugs though. When they ingest it, it sheds their insides and off to to meet their maker they go.

Last edited by Cosmosandmind; 05-09-2012 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: List was off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island