Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 04:52 PM

5,074 posts, read 3,970,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Anastasia Glasheen was the choral teacher at the high school for quite a few years, and a personal friend of mine. It was she who reported the limos that some of the students took to school in the morning.

Currently Anastasia is getting her doctorate in choral conducting from U. of Southern CA if you'd like verification from her.
CSH is unique in three ways:

According to the latest US New and World Report rankings they appear to be the whitest school in New York State:
http://www.usnews.com/education/best...h-school-13610
I cannot find another Long Island school that is essentially (98%+) all white.

According to the same US News and World report rankings, they have one tenth the poverty index of Locust Valley (!) and appear to have the wealthiest student body in New York State based on that statistic.

Finally, and this is not based on statistics, I believe they may have the fewest number of middle class students as well. Homes are 1 Million or more. I would describe the student population as a mix of white upper middle class children and white upper class children. 100% of the graduates, essentially, go on to college.

There are no broad similarities between CSH and Huntington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 08:46 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,178,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post

According to the latest US New and World Report rankings they appear to be the whitest school in New York State:
Cold Spring Harbor High School in COLD SPRING HARBOR, NY | Best High Schools | US News
I cannot find another Long Island school that is essentially (98%+) all white.

According to the same US News and World report rankings, they have one tenth the poverty index of Locust Valley (!) and appear to have the wealthiest student body in New York State based on that statistic.

Finally, and this is not based on statistics, I believe they may have the fewest number of middle class students as well. Homes are 1 Million or more. I would describe the student population as a mix of white upper middle class children and white upper class children. 100% of the graduates, essentially, go on to college.

There are no broad similarities between CSH and Huntington.
Actually, there are a dozen homes on the market below $1 million (two are short sales) and a couple of others which can probably be had for less than $1 million.

One thing that might turn off some parents (and possibly students) is that the student body in CSH is quite homogeneous. It certainly was a thorn in my oldest daughter's side, whereas my younger one took it in stride.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:00 PM

6 posts, read 15,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
CSH is okay - but there are the students being driven up in chauffered limos, and the course selection up at the high school is limited.

Bwahhhhaaaaa!!! Be careful, your envy is showing! I graduated CSH high school in 2010. Yeah, we all got dropped off in limos and they fed us caviar in the caf. It was like 90210. That's why we're the best district in Suffolk.

Here's a sampling of CSH's "limited" course selection (again, bwaaahhhhaaaaa, limited!!!)

ART:
STUDIO IN ART
INTRODUCTION TO DRAWING AND PAINTING
ADVANCED DRAWING/PAINTING
INTRODUCTION TO FASHION DESIGN
ADVANCED FASHION DESIGN
MEDIA ARTS
DIGITAL IMAGING I
DIGITAL IMAGING II
WEB DESIGN
ADVANCED PLACEMENT STUDIO ART (DESIGN or DRAWING)
CULINARY ARTS I
CULINARY ARTS II
FASHION, CLOTHING AND TEXTILES

BUSINESS:
INTRODUCTION TO COLLEGE FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING
BUSINESS LAW
SPORTS MARKETING

ENGLISH - All the usual Regent's and AP options, Plus:
CREATIVE WRITING
CREATIVE WRITING II
PUBLICATION JOURNALISM
WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY?: A CLOSER LOOK AT THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
PUBLIC SPEAKING WOMEN IN LITERATURE FILM SPORTS, LITERATURE, AND SOCIETY SPEECH &
DRAMA
SCIENCE FICTION
THE ESSENCE OF HUMOR: COMEDY WRITING AND PERFORMANCE

MATH- All the usual Regent's and AP options, Plus:
PRECALCULUS PRECALCULUS TOPICS PRECALCULUS/CALCULUS
HONORS ADVANCED PLACEMENT CALCULUS
ADVANCED PLACEMENT STATISTICS
COMPUTER SCIENCE I
COMPUTER SCIENCE II

MUSIC:
CHOIR WIND ENSEMBLE
MUSIC THEORY/ADVANCED PLACEMENT MUSIC THEORY
ORCHESTRA CHAMBER ORCHESTRA
MUSIC STUDIO LAB (I-IV)
MUSIC IN OUR LIVES
MUSICAL THEATER

PHYSICAL EDUCATION- The usual, plus:
PROJECT ADVENTURE
SPORTS MEDICINE
DANCE APPRECIATION
FUNDAMENTALS OF COACHING

SCIENCE- The usual, plus:
MARINE SCIENCE I
MARINE SCIENCE II
FORENSIC SCIENCE I
FORENSIC SCIENCE II
MOLECULAR AND GENOMIC BIOLOGY HONORS (A Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Partnership)
ADVANCED PLACEMENT ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE
ADVANCED PLACEMENT HUMAN GEOGRAPHY

SOCIAL STUDIES- The usual, plus:
ADVANCED PLACEMENT WORLD HISTORY
ADVANCED PLACEMENT EUROPEAN HISTORY ADVANCED
PLACEMENT U.S. HISTORY PUBLIC AFFAIRS
ADVANCED PLACEMENT ECONOMICS
ADVANCED PLACEMENT U.S. GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS
AMERICA AT WAR I
AMERICA AT WAR II
ADVANCED PLACEMENT PSYCHOLOGY
ANCIENT AND MEDIEVAL HISTORY
TOURNAMENT DEBATE
STUDENT LEADERSHIP
CRIMINAL LAW
CONSTITUTIONAL LAW

LANGUAGES: AP FRENCH
AP SPANISH
LATIN (I-V)

I just finished my 2nd year at NYU and most of the classes I took at CSH were better and more challenging! I don't know for sure, but I doubt Harborfields and #3 offer classes of this caliber.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by CSH Kid; 05-18-2012 at 09:15 PM..

Old 05-19-2012, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Actually, there are a dozen homes on the market below $1 million (two are short sales) and a couple of others which can probably be had for less than $1 million.

One thing that might turn off some parents (and possibly students) is that the student body in CSH is quite homogeneous. It certainly was a thorn in my oldest daughter's side, whereas my younger one took it in stride.
Would you agree that generally, with this odd dozen as exceptions, homes are 1 Million in CSH school district? Of the mere 12 listed as less than 1 Million, 4 are over 970,000.00 and most of the eight remainder appear to be fixer-uppers or oddball locations BTW. Without nitpicking we can agree that if you are talking CSH school district you are talking (essentially) 1M+ homes. Essentially, the students cannot come from the middle class - that is a peculiar distinction at CSH.

There are many equally homogeneous districts on Long Island...none of them are all (98% +) white. That is another distinction

Old 05-19-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSH Kid View Post
Bwahhhhaaaaa!!! Be careful, your envy is showing! I graduated CSH high school in 2010. Yeah, we all got dropped off in limos and they fed us caviar in the caf. It was like 90210. That's why we're the best district in Suffolk.

Here's a sampling of CSH's "limited" course selection (again, bwaaahhhhaaaaa, limited!!!)

ART:
STUDIO IN ART
INTRODUCTION TO DRAWING AND PAINTING
ADVANCED DRAWING/PAINTING
INTRODUCTION TO FASHION DESIGN
ADVANCED FASHION DESIGN
MEDIA ARTS
DIGITAL IMAGING I
DIGITAL IMAGING II
WEB DESIGN
ADVANCED PLACEMENT STUDIO ART (DESIGN or DRAWING)
CULINARY ARTS I
CULINARY ARTS II
FASHION, CLOTHING AND TEXTILES

BUSINESS:
INTRODUCTION TO COLLEGE FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING
BUSINESS LAW
SPORTS MARKETING

ENGLISH - All the usual Regent's and AP options, Plus:
CREATIVE WRITING
CREATIVE WRITING II
PUBLICATION JOURNALISM
WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY?: A CLOSER LOOK AT THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
PUBLIC SPEAKING WOMEN IN LITERATURE FILM SPORTS, LITERATURE, AND SOCIETY SPEECH &
DRAMA
SCIENCE FICTION
THE ESSENCE OF HUMOR: COMEDY WRITING AND PERFORMANCE

MATH- All the usual Regent's and AP options, Plus:
PRECALCULUS PRECALCULUS TOPICS PRECALCULUS/CALCULUS
HONORS ADVANCED PLACEMENT CALCULUS
ADVANCED PLACEMENT STATISTICS
COMPUTER SCIENCE I
COMPUTER SCIENCE II

MUSIC:
CHOIR WIND ENSEMBLE
MUSIC THEORY/ADVANCED PLACEMENT MUSIC THEORY
ORCHESTRA CHAMBER ORCHESTRA
MUSIC STUDIO LAB (I-IV)
MUSIC IN OUR LIVES
MUSICAL THEATER

PHYSICAL EDUCATION- The usual, plus:
PROJECT ADVENTURE
SPORTS MEDICINE
DANCE APPRECIATION
FUNDAMENTALS OF COACHING

SCIENCE- The usual, plus:
MARINE SCIENCE I
MARINE SCIENCE II
FORENSIC SCIENCE I
FORENSIC SCIENCE II
MOLECULAR AND GENOMIC BIOLOGY HONORS (A Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Partnership)
ADVANCED PLACEMENT ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE
ADVANCED PLACEMENT HUMAN GEOGRAPHY

SOCIAL STUDIES- The usual, plus:
ADVANCED PLACEMENT WORLD HISTORY
ADVANCED PLACEMENT EUROPEAN HISTORY ADVANCED
PLACEMENT U.S. HISTORY PUBLIC AFFAIRS
ADVANCED PLACEMENT ECONOMICS
ADVANCED PLACEMENT U.S. GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS
AMERICA AT WAR I
AMERICA AT WAR II
ADVANCED PLACEMENT PSYCHOLOGY
ANCIENT AND MEDIEVAL HISTORY
TOURNAMENT DEBATE
STUDENT LEADERSHIP
CRIMINAL LAW
CONSTITUTIONAL LAW

LANGUAGES: AP FRENCH
AP SPANISH
LATIN (I-V)

I just finished my 2nd year at NYU and most of the classes I took at CSH were better and more challenging! I don't know for sure, but I doubt Harborfields and #3 offer classes of this caliber.
Just my 2 cents.
Update your info. CSH and Harborfield are ranked equally in the most recent studies linked elsewhere on this forum. Huntington is a different matter.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:35 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,178,523 times
Quote:
Would you agree that generally, with this odd dozen as exceptions, homes are 1 Million in CSH school district? Of the mere 12 listed as less than 1 Million, 4 are over 970,000.00 and most of the eight remainder appear to be fixer-uppers or oddball locations BTW. Without nitpicking we can agree that if you are talking CSH school district you are talking (essentially) 1M+ homes. Essentially, the students cannot come from the middle class - that is a peculiar distinction at CSH.
Even "lofty" CSH prices have come down in recent years.

So no, I don't quite agree, especially since you are looking at "asking prices", not "closed" prices. Just one example of how different those two numbers can be: asking price started at $1,195,000; because it was overpriced from the beginning, it took 1 1/2 years to sell ("riding down the market") at a price of $850,000!!! Beautiful home, just overpriced in the beginning and then became "stale".

Here is why I don't agree: In 2012, of the 11 homes that sold or are under contract, 5 are under $1 Million.
During the last 12 months, 33 homes in sold in CSH (closed transactions); of those, 21 were less than $1 Million (although 7 were over $900,000).

Your comment that students cannot come from the middle class is too absolute IMHO. It made me think; I lived there for 17 years and during that time my daughters went through Jr. High/High School, but at no time was I anything but middle class! (Guess that could be another topic: "How do you define middle class?" LOL)
Yes, most residents are well off financially, but not all are "millionaires" nor are they all snobs. Some actually come from humble beginnings and many have a down to earth approach to life. Of course they don't make "the news", and they like it that way .

Old 05-19-2012, 10:39 AM

6 posts, read 15,317 times
Quote:
Update your info. CSH and Harborfield are ranked equally in the most recent studies linked elsewhere on this forum. Huntington is a different matter.
Where? All of the lists I've seen have CSH ranked #1 and Harborfields floating around #4 or 5, consistently behind HHH East and HHH West. Even the recent amateur study done by a user on this site ranked Harborfields below Commack. We're #1 baby! Besides, does Harborfields require gentleman to wear top hats and tails whilst dining in the cafeteria??? Hmmmm, do they???

Old 05-19-2012, 11:36 AM

325 posts, read 737,874 times
Quote:

[...]
I'd add a 4th way - class size. CSH had 168 students in its graduating class in 2011, a very small number for western LI. Harborfields had 290 and Huntington 286.

Quote:
I agree with Elke that your definitions of "middle class" and "upper class" are too absolute. A million dollars isn't what it used to be, especially on Long Island and especially on the north shore. There are also dozens of homes priced over 1m in #3.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:52 AM

325 posts, read 737,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Even "lofty" CSH prices have come down in recent years.

So no, I don't quite agree, especially since you are looking at "asking prices", not "closed" prices. Just one example of how different those two numbers can be: asking price started at $1,195,000; because it was overpriced from the beginning, it took 1 1/2 years to sell ("riding down the market") at a price of $850,000!!! Beautiful home, just overpriced in the beginning and then became "stale".

Here is why I don't agree: In 2012, of the 11 homes that sold or are under contract, 5 are under $1 Million.
During the last 12 months, 33 homes in sold in CSH (closed transactions); of those, 21 were less than $1 Million (although 7 were over $900,000).
Agreed! I'm actually seeing 26 houses in the school district under a million (searched on MLSLI.com by SD to include Lloyds Harbor and Neck and Laurel Hollow).

Quote:
Your comment that students cannot come from the middle class is too absolute IMHO. It made me think; I lived there for 17 years and during that time my daughters went through Jr. High/High School, but at no time was I anything but middle class! (Guess that could be another topic: "How do you define middle class?" LOL)
Yes, most residents are well off financially, but not all are "millionaires" nor are they all snobs. Some actually come from humble beginnings and many have a down to earth approach to life. Of course they don't make "the news", and they like it that way .
Also agree 100%. This is the CSH I grew up in and know. CSH is mostly hardworking professional families with middle class origins and values. I grew up in a 4 bedroom ranch house (where my mom still lives) not a gated mansion. This is why I think its always better to have people with first hand knowledge of communities speak about them. Otherwise you get a lot of hearsay and exaggeration. In CSH case you get outlandish stories about chauffeured limos and snotty people. If there really was a parent who regularly had there child dropped off in a limo, I think most CSH parents would find it tacky.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
I'd add a 4th way - class size. CSH had 168 students in its graduating class in 2011, a very small number for western LI. Harborfields had 290 and Huntington 286.

I agree with Elke that your definitions of "middle class" and "upper class" are too absolute. A million dollars isn't what it used to be, especially on Long Island and especially on the north shore. There are also dozens of homes priced over 1m in #3.
No. Oyster Bay and Locust Valley are even smaller and are right there in Western Nassau. In fact, CSH shares a boundary w/Oyster Bay. North Shore, another Western Nassau is about the same size. Size does not at all make them unique.

Absence of poor, middle class and minorities (all minoriites) does.

Without going out on a limb here, I would say that if you can afford to pay 1m for a house you are at least upper middle class.

"There are also dozens of homes priced over 1m in #3": Of course there are hundreds of homes over 1m thorughout Long Island that are not in CSH - not sure your point there The presence of 1m+ homes is not what I implied was unique about CSH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island