Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:21 PM

5,167 posts, read 4,027,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
Agreed! I'm actually seeing 26 houses in the school district under a million (searched on MLSLI.com by SD to include Lloyds Harbor and Neck and Laurel Hollow).

Also agree 100%. This is the CSH I grew up in and know. CSH is mostly hardworking professional families with middle class origins and values. I grew up in a 4 bedroom ranch house (where my mom still lives) not a gated mansion. This is why I think its always better to have people with first hand knowledge of communities speak about them. Otherwise you get a lot of hearsay and exaggeration. In CSH case you get outlandish stories about chauffeured limos and snotty people. If there really was a parent who regularly had there child dropped off in a limo, I think most CSH parents would find it tacky.
And FYI my wife grew up in Laurel Hollow, attended CSH, graduated late 70's and her parents still live there. For many reasons we are very much involved with CSH today and can tell you things have changed. My wife's family was middle class and so was much of her Laurel Hollow neighborhood. Things have changed over the last 40 years and that is why people with first hand knowledge know what they are talking about.

I heared an outlandsih story that both (!) of the artificial turf fields at CSH were donated by wealthy parents---is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 01:56 PM

325 posts, read 739,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
And FYI my wife grew up in Laurel Hollow, attended CSH, graduated late 70's and her parents still live there. For many reasons we are very much involved with CSH today and can tell you things have changed. My wife's family was middle class and so was much of her Laurel Hollow neighborhood. Things have changed over the last 40 years and that is why people with first hand knowledge know what they are talking about.
Well, there's a decent chance I went to high school with your wife and I agree that things have definitely changed in 40 years. I've been living here watching it change. I still don't think it's fair to say that there are no middle-class people in CSH. My mother's neighborhood in the heart of CSH looks like much of Huntington, nice middle class houses. We may just have to agree to disagree about what constitutes "middle class."

Quote:
I heared an outlandsih story that both (!) of the artificial turf fields at CSH were donated by wealthy parents---is that true?
No one is denying there is a lot of concentrated wealth in the district, but do you really think that the average CSH family can donate the approx $2m those fields cost? I'm talking about the majority, the average family.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Well, there's a decent chance I went to high school with your wife and I agree that things have definitely changed in 40 years. I've been living here watching it change. . My mother's neighborhood in the heart of CSH looks like much of Huntington, nice middle class houses. We may just have to agree to disagree about what constitutes "middle class."

No one is denying there is a lot of concentrated wealth in the district, but do you really think that the average CSH family can donate the approx $2m those fields cost? I'm talking about the majority, the average family.

Nobody thinks the average family can afford to donate an athletic turf field (and as you well know the athletic fields were in fact donated by wealthy district folks). Just lettin' you know things have changed quite a bit since you went to school there. I am writing about the student body and parents there NOW.
You can re-read my posts above.
Let us at least agree the children/parents (AT THE SCHOOL NOW) range from upper middle class through upper class, are 98+% white (!), and have the lowest poverty rate in New York State for a high school and it is .04% - one 10th of Locust Valley's (!) 4%. See the US News and World Report 2012 High School rankings for these precise stats. These three items makes CSH unique.

(And I never wrote or implied all of the middle class residents have moved out or died...the thread is about schools. And as far as the price of homes go - can you honesty say a middle middle class person could have purchased a home in Laurel Hollow, Lloyd Harbor, Lloyd Neck, or even CSH proper over the last 15 years - we are talking about 1M homes after all. Forget the rare LH 2-acre 750K knockdowns and the odd 650 fixer upper/oddly situated home here and there. Of course there are always exceptions in life - I mean essentially or generally speaking.)

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 05-19-2012 at 03:57 PM..

Old 05-19-2012, 09:35 PM

9,935 posts, read 23,250,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post

Interesting choice of words. Not passing judgment, just commenting.
Goes to show that an event can be presented in a way that makes it appear somewhat negative and "sensational", instead of focusing on the generous and positive aspect of the gift.

I dare say most if not all of us will agree that there is a lot of wealth on Long Island, not only in Cold Spring Harbor, Lloyd Harbor and Lloyd Neck. It so happens that there are some generous families in SD 2 who are willing to share generously of their wealth for the benefit of the community.
Another example: when the current CSH Library was planned, donations were solicited--and received, with one family donating $1 million (plus many other substantical gifts; mine was a LOT less, in fact one might call it insignificant , but it all added up!)

Old 05-20-2012, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Quick Commenter
I heared an outlandish story that both (!) of the artificial turf fields at CSH were donated by wealthy parents---is that true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Interesting choice of words. Not passing judgment, just commenting.
Goes to show that an event can be presented in a way that makes it appear somewhat negative and "sensational", instead of focusing on the generous and positive aspect of the gift.

I dare say most if not all of us will agree that there is a lot of wealth on Long Island, not only in Cold Spring Harbor, Lloyd Harbor and Lloyd Neck. It so happens that there are some generous families in SD 2 who are willing to share generously of their wealth for the benefit of the community.
Another example: when the current CSH Library was planned, donations were solicited--and received, with one family donating $1 million (plus many other substantical gifts; mine was a LOT less, in fact one might call it insignificant , but it all added up!)
Originally Posted by h-tonian
Agreed! I'm actually seeing 26 houses in the school district under a million (searched on MLSLI.com by SD to include Lloyds Harbor and Neck and Laurel Hollow).

Also agree 100%. This is the CSH I grew up in and know. CSH is mostly hardworking professional families with middle class origins and values. I grew up in a 4 bedroom ranch house (where my mom still lives) not a gated mansion. This is why I think its always better to have people with first hand knowledge of communities speak about them. Otherwise you get a lot of hearsay and exaggeration. In CSH case you get outlandish stories about chauffeured limos and snotty people. If there really was a parent who regularly had there child dropped off in a limo, I think most CSH parents would find it tacky.

Yes, it was an odd choice choice of words by h-tonian.That is why I used it in my response. Not passing judgment, just commenting.

Again, CSH SD is unique on Long Island with the absence of minorities, middle class and poverty in its schools. Not unique in having expensive homes, high college acceptances, and small size - several other Long Island districts have this.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:32 AM

883 posts, read 3,730,716 times
Quote:
Agreed! I'm actually seeing 26 houses in the school district under a million (searched on MLSLI.com by SD to include Lloyds Harbor and Neck and Laurel.
And there are 111 houses listed OVER a million, with many of those houses being multi-million dollar homes (and a lot of the homes under $1mil have something wrong with them or need a lot of work). So if you have close to $1mil to spend on a house, why would you choose to have your children be at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder? I could understand if CSH was the only good school district around, but that's not the case. At under a million, you could buy in neighboring districts like Syosset, Half Hollow Hills or even Harborfields and have your kids be much closer to the top of the socioeconomic ladder. Why would you want your kids to feel like the 'have nots' when there are plenty of other options that will make them feel much more secure? Studies have shown that kids at the bottom socioeconomically have a harder time & it even carries over into adulthood (they tend to become people who always feel like they are lacking, even if they are well-off). Clearly, if you can afford a home anywhere near $1 mil, you are doing well-- so why put yourself in a school district where your kids will feel 'poor'? Just something to consider.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 15,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
And there are 111 houses listed OVER a million, with many of those houses being multi-million dollar homes (and a lot of the homes under $1mil have something wrong with them or need a lot of work). So if you have close to $1mil to spend on a house, why would you choose to have your children be at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder? I could understand if CSH was the only good school district around, but that's not the case. At under a million, you could buy in neighboring districts like Syosset, Half Hollow Hills or even Harborfields and have your kids be much closer to the top of the socioeconomic ladder. Why would you want your kids to feel like the 'have nots' when there are plenty of other options that will make them feel much more secure? Studies have shown that kids at the bottom socioeconomically have a harder time & it even carries over into adulthood (they tend to become people who always feel like they are lacking, even if they are well-off). Clearly, if you can afford a home anywhere near $1 mil, you are doing well-- so why put yourself in a school district where your kids will feel 'poor'? Just something to consider.
Whaaaa? My parents house is probably worth around a million (maybe a bit more or less). It's a 4 bedroom colonial with a pool. Average by CSH standards. I grew up there and never felt "poor." Maybe we're at the bottom of the economic ladder in terms of REAL ESTATE, but my parents are both doctors, so we're not at the bottom socially. Some people are HOUSE RICH. I had one friend who lived in a big Laurel Hollow McMansion who didn't have furniture in his dining room or living room. My parents are paying for NYU, while others I know whose parents have giant houses had to take out loans for college. Some of my friends lived in houses like mine, some in McMansions in the woods, some in real deal mansions. One of my best friends lived with his mom in a cottage on one of the estates where she worked and he was a popular kid. It's not all about money. There's something to be said for **modesty** in CSH. That's why it's an anomaly on Strong Island. I don't think those other districts even compete with the kind of education you get at CSH!

Old 05-20-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:

AND, I agree with you, sir (or madam)! AND, I graduated in 2010. Is it just me or are the people who are going on and on about "snobs" and "limos" and "middle class can't afford" showing their insecurity and jealousy a bit? hmmm?

Last edited by CSH Kid; 05-20-2012 at 11:27 AM..

Old 05-20-2012, 02:00 PM

883 posts, read 3,730,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSH Kid View Post
Whaaaa? My parents house is probably worth around a million (maybe a bit more or less). It's a 4 bedroom colonial with a pool. Average by CSH standards. I grew up there and never felt "poor." Maybe we're at the bottom of the economic ladder in terms of REAL ESTATE, but my parents are both doctors, so we're not at the bottom socially. Some people are HOUSE RICH. I had one friend who lived in a big Laurel Hollow McMansion who didn't have furniture in his dining room or living room. My parents are paying for NYU, while others I know whose parents have giant houses had to take out loans for college. Some of my friends lived in houses like mine, some in McMansions in the woods, some in real deal mansions. One of my best friends lived with his mom in a cottage on one of the estates where she worked and he was a popular kid. It's not all about money. There's something to be said for **modesty** in CSH. That's why it's an anomaly on Strong Island. I don't think those other districts even compete with the kind of education you get at CSH!
You're right-- it's not entirely about the value of the house, but generally (though you're right, not always) it is an indication of the overall socioeconomic status of a family. If you have sufficient income/ net worth to live a similar lifestyle to those in multi-million dollar homes, then obviously house value doesn't matter nearly as much. But usually that isn't the case. I know many young families who basically stretched to buy the cheapest house they could afford in CSH just to have the prestige of living there, but they really can't afford the same lifestyle that many people there enjoy. I feel for their children; they will certainly feel like they are lacking in comparison to their peers.

Last edited by monkeygorilla; 05-20-2012 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 05-20-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
You're right-- it's not entirely about the value of the house, but generally (though you're right, not always) it is an indication of the overall socioeconomic status of a family. If you have sufficient income/ net worth to live a similar lifestyle to those in multi-million dollar homes, then obviously house value doesn't matter nearly as much. But usually that isn't the case. I know many young families who basically stretched to buy the cheapest house they could afford in CSH just to have the prestige of living there, but they really can't afford the same lifestyle that many people there enjoy. I feel for their children; they will certainly feel like they are lacking in comparison to their peers.
Lacking in what tho? I feel bad for these kids for having parents like that. If the parents moved moved to CSH looking for materialistic "status" and "prestige" and they can't really afford it they are going to have a rough time, not only from other people who are like that, but also from from people who find that attitude to be gouche. The cliques that are obsessed with materialism and social climbing are going to give them a hard time. There are some HUGE a$$holes,,,,BUT those aren't the only cliques in town and at the school. Like I said, my friend lived in a giant house, but his parents couldn't afford to buy furniture let alone buy him a car or pay for college. My other friend who lived in a cottage on someone else's property was really successful socially and in school. CSH is not all OMG...TMZ RICH N FAMOUZ LIMOS N YACHTS. It's more about pillows with ducks on 'em 'n shops that sell candles. These people would probably be miserable in any town.

Based on what ur saying, my parents should have bought the most expensive house in Levittown and spoiled me so I could be the most socioeconomic advantaged kid in school. You really think that would have given me an ADVANTAGE? Eh???

Some people live there, like my parents, because they have roots there and because of the great schools. Some people live there because it's pretty. Some people because they like boats. Some because they like white people. ETC and ETC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island