Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:55 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
If you factor in the length of time and cost of going to school, malpractice insurance, and then free pension and medical, a LI cop is making siginficantly more than many doctors over the course of their career. Sure a plastic surgeon makes a million dollars but that's an outlier. Teachers are not far behind. There are not 10K people paying $100 to take a test to get 200 doctor slots for a reason.

The comparison is completely absurd.

Pharmacists are paid significantly less then cops and teachers if you factor in all compensation and cost of schooling. Another absurd, if less so, comparison.
Not to mention most doctors are self-employed and must fund their own retirements. I wonder if anyone here has any idea how much debt the average doctor incurs, it's mind boggling. And after medical school you have fellowships and residencies....some of these guys don't start making money until well into their 30s.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:05 AM

239 posts, read 509,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Are you seriously trying to compare teachers and cops, to doctors? Do you realize how hard it is to become a doctor? Not because of 5000 applicants for one overpaid position...It's due to the rigorous and lengthy education requirements to become a Doctor. Comparing it to the requirements to become a teacher is laughable. To a cop--absurd.
And the requirements to become a private business sector worker are even more laughable than a teacher or cop. All business major did was party in college while the science majors had to study hard and education majors had to student teacher. I have family members who work in private sector and they get two hour lunch breaks and get to go to fancy restaurants with clients. I don't know any doctor, pharmacists, cop, teacher, firefighter who gets that. So no, private sector should not be paid as much as any teacher or cop.

Quote:
You say you are studying to become a research scientist? Do they teach you how to use google?
Of course the average salary is $46,000 for teachers everyone knows that. It's just funny how upset everyone here gets over false information. I posted that purposly to see your ridiculous reactions. People get so angry in life over these property taxes and need to chill out. I also know people who are teachers. Most public school teachers here start at about $60,000. It's not until after 10 years they MAYBE start making $100k depending on the school district. So get your facts straight, not all teachers make six figures.

And you can't compare a teachers salary in Albany or Rochester to a teacher salary on Long Island. Albany and Rochester have a dirt cheap COL. They don't need to make as much money as they do here. Maybe the average household income on LI is $86,000 but that doesn't mean you're living comfortably. Want to live comfortably on LI you need to make six figures, end of story.

Quote:
Are you new to Long Island? Perhaps you should visit sometime to see what other benefits we have besides being close to NYC.
I grew up on Long Island. Garden City to be exact.
LOL LOL! Benefits of Long Island? Long Island is just like any other boring, sprawling suburbia only with worse traffic and less space. Yes NYC is unique for it's diversity, energy, importance, blah blah etc. But tell me what can I get in NYC that I can't get in Chicago, Houston, Denver, Atlanta, Miami other than high end elite business jobs or opportunity for the arts. There is no other benefit to Long Island other than being close to NYC which IMO makes it overpriced. It's not like we have the beaches like Key West, mountains of Colorado, or weather of SoCal to make it worth it's high COL.

Quote:
And the taxes are not out of control for the reasons you say (refusing to merge) or the "technological advances" as someone else tried to rationalize it as . That has little to do with it. 80% of school budgets are salaries & benefits. That's it. Lesson concluded.
And tell me your source for saying 80% of school budget is for salaries and benefits, other than Newsday. Yes teachers and cops get paid well but you're making it sound like they are millionaires. Heck someone tried to say that teachers and cops made more than doctors . Yes doctors, pharmacists, research scientists all have bigger loans and malpractice to pay but they're all living in bigger houses and driving nicer cars than any LI teacher or cop that I know. My friend who is a teacher just bought her first house in Levittown, which is a very average area. She's not living in some mansion on the North Shore.

End of story.

Last edited by JCNNY; 05-25-2012 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 09:07 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
If you factor in the length of time and cost of going to school, malpractice insurance, and then free pension and medical, a LI cop is making siginficantly more than many doctors over the course of their career. Sure a plastic surgeon makes a million dollars but that's an outlier. Teachers are not far behind. There are not 10K people paying $100 to take a test to get 200 doctor slots for a reason.

The comparison is completely absurd.

Pharmacists are paid significantly less then cops and teachers if you factor in all compensation and cost of schooling. Another absurd, if less so, comparison.
It's mind-boggling how anyone could make a statement like that..insulting almost. Even for CPAs and this is no offense to teachers out there... at least 9 out of 10 people couldn't become CPAs even if they wanted to. It's the exact opposite with teachers and cops, 9 out of 10 could if they really wanted to; Except with the teacher and cop jobs on LI you just need a little nepotism and/or major a$$-kissing.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:14 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,694 times
How many times can the same paragraph be written? Am I getting this right? Everyone who is living comfortable on LI is living in a big house on the NS making 200k+ and everyone else is working poor?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:18 AM

239 posts, read 509,417 times
Quote:
It's mind-boggling how anyone could make a statement like that..insulting almost. Even for CPAs and this is no offense to teachers out there... at least 9 out of 10 people couldn't become CPAs even if they wanted to. It's the exact opposite with teachers and cops, 9 out of 10 could if they really wanted to; Except with the teacher and cop jobs on LI you just need a little nepotism and/or major a$$-kissing.
Btw the median income for a household in Albany is $56,000, which is about the same what the average teacher makes there. So stop with this bs saying that Long Island is the only place where teachers make a salary that is equivalent to the average household income.

Albany County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 05-25-2012, 09:34 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:

Excuse me, I'll answer that when I get back from my 2 hour lunch break.

The anecdotal BS flows freely here.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
How many times can the same paragraph be written? Am I getting this right? Everyone who is living comfortable on LI is living in a big house on the NS making 200k+ and everyone else is working poor?
He/She repeats the same nonsense over-and-over until someone replies to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Btw the median income for a household in Albany is $56,000, which is about the same what the average teacher makes there. So stop with this bs saying that Long Island is the only place where teachers make a salary that is equivalent to the average household income.

Albany County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
I don't think anyone has a problem with the $56k earner in Albany or the <$86k earners on LI...it's the sheer number of teachers/supt's that earn over $100k, many over $200k, with all the valuable benefits included that causes the high taxes. And on LI, it's not even a comparison with Albany in that regard.

Quote:
Excuse me, I'll answer that when I get back from my 2 hour lunch break.

The anecdotal BS flows freely here.
LOL, missed the 2 hour lunch break comment, now this makes sense haha.

Last edited by Pequaman; 05-25-2012 at 09:52 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
And the requirements to become a private business sector worker are even more laughable than a teacher or cop. All business major did was party in college while the science majors had to study hard and education majors had to student teacher. I have family members who work in private sector and they get two hour lunch breaks and get to go to fancy restaurants with clients. I don't know any doctor, pharmacists, cop, teacher, firefighter who gets that. So no, private sector should not be paid as much as any teacher or cop.
More absurdity. So what are you saying, teachers and cops should be paid 2x-3x what the private sector earns? Because that's the reality of the case here on LI...

Quote:
Of course the average salary is $46,000 for teachers everyone knows that. It's just funny how upset everyone here gets over false information. I posted that purposly to see your ridiculous reactions. People get so angry in life over these property taxes and need to chill out. I also know people who are teachers. Most public school teachers here start at about $60,000. It's not until after 10 years they MAYBE start making $100k depending on the school district. So get your facts straight, not all teachers make six figures.

And you can't compare a teachers salary in Albany or Rochester to a teacher salary on Long Island. Albany and Rochester have a dirt cheap COL. They don't need to make as much money as they do here. Maybe the average household income on LI is $86,000 but that doesn't mean you're living comfortably. Want to live comfortably on LI you need to make six figures, end of story.
Did you ever stop to think why the COL is so high here? Say LI_Tea's wishes come true and all cops and teachers and admin salaries were cut 30-50%...That would certainly drop the COL by a significant amount -- at least a few thousand shaved off each tax bill going forward. Over 10, 20, 30 years, how much income is transferred from the private sector over to the public sector by keeping these salaries inflated? How many people (like yourself it seems) and businesses are priced out and have to flee LI because of the high taxes? Additionally it feeds onto itself because businesses have to charge us more to cover their nut which further increases COL. Notice the pattern here? This is why NY is so cut-throat. It starts with the Gov't.

Quote:
I grew up on Long Island. Garden City to be exact.
LOL LOL! Benefits of Long Island? Long Island is just like any other boring, sprawling suburbia only with worse traffic and less space. Yes NYC is unique for it's diversity, energy, importance, blah blah etc. But tell me what can I get in NYC that I can't get in Chicago, Houston, Denver, Atlanta, Miami other than high end elite business jobs or opportunity for the arts. There is no other benefit to Long Island other than being close to NYC which IMO makes it overpriced. It's not like we have the beaches like Key West, mountains of Colorado, or weather of SoCal to make it worth it's high COL.
You're free to have your opinions, but obviously the market disagrees with you. If it were better in the areas you mentioned, they would be just as high in housing prices as it is here. Actually a lot of the places you mention are just as high. LI has a lot of good things going for it.

Who the F wants to move to Tampa or Atlanta...

Quote:
And tell me your source for saying 80% of school budget is for salaries and benefits, other than Newsday. Yes teachers and cops get paid well but you're making it sound like they are millionaires. Heck someone tried to say that teachers and cops made more than doctors . Yes doctors, pharmacists, research scientists all have bigger loans and malpractice to pay but they're all living in bigger houses and driving nicer cars than any LI teacher or cop that I know. My friend who is a teacher just bought her first house in Levittown, which is a very average area. She's not living in some mansion on the North Shore.

End of story.
I'll go find you some example budgets to show you when I get back from my 2 hour lunch break. Go look it up yourself; Most LI School district budgets are close to 80% salaries/benefits --- And in the future, look for this to go well above 80% as all those pensions get added on to the tax bill and people live longer.

BTW- Just so you know.
Median earnings for male full-time, year-round workers (dollars)
ALBANY COUNTY - $51,857
NASSAU COUNTY - $67,267
SUFFOLK COUNTY - $62,284
Median earnings for female full-time, year-round workers (dollars)
ALBANY COUNTY - $41,480
NASSAU COUNTY - $51,170
SUFFOLK COUNTY - $45,287

^^^ Kinda puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

Source: http://factfinder2.census.gov

Last edited by Pequaman; 05-25-2012 at 10:21 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 11:01 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:

End of story.
This is very true. My wife started out at 56k a year in her district. It would have taken YEARS for her to reach a six figure salary. Most of her friends are teachers on LI as well, none of them make anywhere near 100k+. Some posters make it seem like if you land one of these teaching jobs you instantly make 130k or more a year for 20 years + until retirement. Its simply not true.

Last edited by peconic117; 05-25-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 11:16 AM

659 posts, read 2,517,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
This is very true. My wife started out at 56k a year in her district. It would have taken YEARS for her to reach a six figure salary. Most of her friends are teachers on LI as well, none of them make anywhere near 100k+. Some posters make it seem like if you land one of these teaching jobs you instantly make 130k or more a year for 20 years + until retirement. Its simply not true.
I agree with you. I am in a very well-paying public school district on LI. I am in my 9th year of teaching an I am a few years away from $100,000 (with a Master's Degree). I am probably even further now that we voted on a pay freeze to alleviate tax payers. My husband who started in business at $30,00 has already passed me and I started at $55,000. A few teachers (who have been teaching 20+ years) make really good money, but the public would have you believe all teachers are rich and that is very far from the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island