Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:17 AM

130 posts, read 384,678 times

Advertisements

The title is pretty self explanatory. Of all my years on LI I've only been to three beaches. Jones Beach, Tobay Beach, and Robert Moses. My husband isn't from here, and hasn't been to any of the beaches. I plan on going to a few different beaches this summer and am wondering which ones you think are the best on these terms:

-Cleanliness
-Most scenic
-Fishing

Also, if you know the costs of going to the beach (like parking) please mention that as well.

It doesn't matter how far it is, we will be traveling all over Long Island this summer going to Calverton to visit my grandfathers grave and even going to Montauk to go to a relatives summer home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 09:54 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Like Point Lookout and Nickerson Beach when we lived there. Always less crowded than Jones. Think one is Town of Hempstead and on is Nassau County so you have to show residency - not sure on that though.

On the north shore I like the town beaches with kids - West Neck and Fleets Cove in Huntington (again, need to be a resident) and the beach in Oyster Bay (Theodore Roosevelt Park???) easy to keep an eye on the little ones.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:01 PM

530 posts, read 1,341,027 times
Most any beach on Fire Island...Kismet comes to mind. I think you can park at Robert Moses state park and then walk along the shore to Kismet from there.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:13 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingpointe516 View Post
The title is pretty self explanatory. Of all my years on LI I've only been to three beaches. Jones Beach, Tobay Beach, and Robert Moses. My husband isn't from here, and hasn't been to any of the beaches. I plan on going to a few different beaches this summer and am wondering which ones you think are the best on these terms:

-Cleanliness
-Most scenic
-Fishing

Also, if you know the costs of going to the beach (like parking) please mention that as well.

It doesn't matter how far it is, we will be traveling all over Long Island this summer going to Calverton to visit my grandfathers grave and even going to Montauk to go to a relatives summer home.
If you live in Suffolk County and have a green key, check out Cupsogue Beach in Westhampton. There are very few public beaches east of there until you get to Montauk. You will never go wrong in Montauk, especially if you enjoy fishing.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:21 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,455 times
Cooper's Beach in Southampton - hands down for me. Not sure about fishing (I don't fish) but it certainly nails your other two criteria on the head. I only go to the beach once or twice a year - so don't mind paying the $45(?) parking fee.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:27 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
Cooper's Beach in Southampton - hands down for me. Not sure about fishing (I don't fish) but it certainly nails your other two criteria on the head. I only go to the beach once or twice a year - so don't mind paying the $45(?) parking fee.
can non-residents get into Coopers on weekends ?

Old 06-10-2012, 01:22 PM

130 posts, read 384,678 times
Hm, I don't live in Suffolk but I have a lot of family members who do, would I be able to go if I went with them? Do you know if theres a fee for guests or something?

Old 06-10-2012, 01:38 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,806,426 times
The beach at the end of Wertheim National park in Noyac. It is so beautiful.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:54 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,881 times
The further east you go on the S Shore of LI, the more pristine the beaches and water. It gets great at Fire Island and better as u head east.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:28 PM

246 posts, read 430,750 times
Nickerson is definitely the way to go if you live in Nassau. I actually think they are open to non-residents as well, but for a much higher fee - haven't been there in a while though as I no longer live in Nassau
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island