Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:05 PM

376 posts, read 1,016,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Just seen $3.49. Had to do a double take. lol.
longislandgasprice.com has it at 3.39 a gallon at some stations ...lets keep talking abut it and it will keep coming down...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 06:21 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,329,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreetheEagle View Post
Why is it that when a discussion about gas prices here on long island or the country as a whole there are always comments about how much cheaper it is here than other places in the world? Are we supposed to feel bad that we pay too much for gas in our eyes because it's more expensive elsewhere. How much are property taxes in these other places? how much is there school tax? income tax?...... the argument does not hold any weight. The fact that the dollar is the worlds reserve currency has alot to do with it. But don't fret, that may not be the case for long.

By the way, a gallon of gas in Qatar is 65 cents. I wonder if they feel bad for us idiots paying 3.80 a gallon?
I guess there is something to be said about using your own energy resources....
Tax Burdens, Around the World - NYTimes.com

List of countries by tax rates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-12-2012, 06:32 PM

418 posts, read 1,070,112 times
Income tax is OK.
US property taxes (esp. LI-size) will shock most people outside the US. When someone outside the US buys a house, they actually own that house, it is not a semi-shared property like here (with the extreme taxing and extreme regulations).

Old 06-12-2012, 10:57 PM

90 posts, read 216,796 times
I foundt his on the net:
"The five major oil companies are some of the largest and most profitable corporations in the world, increasingly at the expense of the rest of humanity. The big five companies enjoyed record levels of $137 billion profits last year, while paying absurdly low tax rates. Exxon is the most profitable, making $1300 per second in 2011, but it only paid a 13 percent tax rate, according to a Reuters analysis. The oil industry claims it pays a higher tax rate — but it counts foreign taxes and deferred taxes. "

So if the average price per gallon in 2011 was 3.52 across the US, and that drove a 137 billion $ in profit, then (WARNING: Generalized and un-scientifc math to follow) at 1.76 per gallon the big 5 Oil cos would have ONLY made 68.5 Billion in PROFIT... again that is profit, no job cuts, no downsizing etc., just less insulating your house with 100 dollar bills at the expense of the working man...

Bottom line is that this smells a lot like collusion and price fixing and according to the laws established in this republic that is illegal and it should be addressed. Just wish I could affor a lobbyist...

Old 06-13-2012, 07:59 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viclom View Post
Bottom line is that this smells a lot like collusion and price fixing and according to the laws established in this republic that is illegal and it should be addressed. Just wish I could affor a lobbyist...
Well yeah, but I'd much rather fix our tax problem here first.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 AM

428 posts, read 970,209 times
How much is gas today? I thought I paid over $5.00 at a shell in Valley Stream on Friday. Could I have been reading wrong??

Old 06-13-2012, 08:20 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
If you have a smartphone, get poynt and it can update you within a 5mi. radius. I wouldn't ever drive more than a few blocks away to save on gas though. Right now it says $3.79 for premium and $3.50 for regular. You were definitely reading wrong... it's been under $4 for a while now.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:24 AM

428 posts, read 970,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
If you have a smartphone, get poynt and it can update you within a 5mi. radius. I wouldn't ever drive more than a few blocks away to save on gas though. Right now it says $3.79 for premium and $3.50 for regular. You were definitely reading wrong... it's been under $4 for a while now.
ok, sounds about right. I was in a hurry to catch my train and just pumped away. I could have sworn it said $5.05 or something. I was a bit shocked, but I may have read it wrong

Thank you! I did not know about the poynt app

Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
^^ Maybe she was at one of those rip off stations that charge and extra $2.00 if you use your card?

Old 06-13-2012, 04:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ Maybe she was at one of those rip off stations that charge and extra $2.00 if you use your card?
Do they exist in Nassau? It seems all the complaints about them come out of Suffolk. I certainly haven't seen one in Valley Stream. And if I did I would complain about it to the Nassau County Dept. of Consumer Affairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island