Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:15 AM

9 posts, read 24,824 times

Advertisements

I had a beautiful finished basement that was flooded out due to Irene. I never ended up losing power here in Oyster Bay. My pump died. Fast forward to now and I have tiled my basement, have a high powered Zoeller pump, and I purchased a gas powered generator. I have a spring under my home and my pump kicks on every 20 minutes. After a big rain, it can kick on every 7/8 minutes.

I need to have a back-up system installed and would like see what others have done. The best option obviously would be to get a standby generator, but it's a bit costly and I really can 't afford that at the moment. My other option is to get a battery back-up. I have heard these are pretty much useless and unreliable due to their short lifespan. The option I'm seriously considering is getting a water backed sump pump. These rely on you homes water pressure and do not need electric or batteries to operate. Tapping into your home's water main scares me a bit, but if a sturdy check valve is installed it should not be a problem.

My question is what have others done? Does anyone have any experience with a water backed sump pump. I'm honestly tired of worrying about power outages and flooding again. It's on my mind quite a bit, and I would love to stop worrying about it!!!!!

Thank you for any advice or story you could share. Also, if you know of a plumber who has experience with these water backed pumps, please let me know.

Here is a link for the pump I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Basepump-HB100.../dp/B000GE81W4

Thanks again!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 01:50 PM

Anyone with a sump pump out there?

Old 06-28-2012, 02:52 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Actually my mom needs to get one. Her basement always gets at least 2 inches of water when there is heavy storms. This has been an on going problem for over 25 years, but my dad never wanted to spend the money to have it fixed.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:52 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,535 times
we have 3 but they don't work so great when the power goes out

Old 06-28-2012, 05:23 PM

Do you have finished basements?

Old 06-28-2012, 07:35 PM

257 posts, read 751,204 times
I have a crawlspace basement, so it may be a bit different...but we got an electric sump pump through Healthy Basement Systems and then we have a battery backup that will run for a minimum of 16, but up to 25 hours after power is lost. This company is awesome! I recommend them to everyone, but you'll pay a bit for them.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:04 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,329,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Actually my mom needs to get one. Her basement always gets at least 2 inches of water when there is heavy storms. This has been an on going problem for over 25 years, but my dad never wanted to spend the money to have it fixed.
My mother-in-law had the same problem until I suggested she change the location of her downspouts. Now, instead of dropping in the back yard, next to the foundation (without leaders), they drop in the front driveway (with leaders) which then drains into the street.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:22 AM

40 posts, read 565,517 times
Not all battery backup models are useless or bad.

The problem with hardware-store (or online) bought models, sold to general contractors and DIYers, is that they come with a generic battery, usually an adapted marine battery.

Not being developed for this purpose, these batteries can't withstand long periods of time without being used. If they remain unused for a year or so, they begin to lose power.

Well, a backup sump pump might not be needed for long periods of time, so with generic models, the battery might be dead when you need it most.

There are, however, battery backup sump pump models that come with a battery specifically developed for this purpose, that won't lose power when in idle, even if you don't use it for a number of years.

Water powered backup pumps aren't exactly fool proof either. For it to work, you need to have plenty of city water (if your water comes from a well, you can't use a water powered pump), and the city water needs to come at a pressure of at least 40 psi or higher, constantly. If there isn't enough pressure, the pump won't work.

There is also the fact that, to pump water, you need to spend water. The ratios of water used to pump water vary by manufacturer, but the best models use 1 gallon of water to pump out 2 gallons.

So I imagine that running a water backup pump during the wet season, specially in your case with the spring running under the house, can get really expensive.

For your specific home, which has a spring, I'd really suggest you consider a three sump pump system, if you want to protect your finished basement.

The main pump, to handle the day-to-day de-watering, a powerful electrical backup pump, to pickup the tab during heavy rains that may overwhelm and overwork the main pump, and a battery operated backup that will kick in when the power is out or there is something wrong with the electric pumps.

A good three sump pump system, installed complete, with three pump container, air tight lid and an alarm can be installed for a fraction of the cost of a an automatic generator.

I hope this information helps.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:56 AM

840 posts, read 2,446,535 times
yes ours is finished, 4 rooms only one has no pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacier2727 View Post
Do you have finished basements?

Old 06-29-2012, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the info. CyFree - do you have any experience with water backed sump pumps? Have you used one? I have city water, and strong water pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island