Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 03:04 PM

253 posts, read 808,769 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to find a house on Long Island (East Meadow, Bethpage, Levittown) for some time now and it's not going well. I've lost faith in my current RE and have resorted to just going to open houses (which is taking even longer). I'm looking for recommendations for a pro-active experienced & licensed individual who can help me find me a home.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 04:41 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,195 times
There is a realtor who posts a lot of valuable and helpful information on this board-Elke Mariotti. If she can't help you Im sure she can recommend someone who can. She's been on here for years.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:28 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Pullo View Post
I have been trying to find a house on Long Island (East Meadow, Bethpage, Levittown) for some time now and it's not going well. I've lost faith in my current RE and have resorted to just going to open houses (which is taking even longer). I'm looking for recommendations for a pro-active experienced & licensed individual who can help me find me a home.

Thanks.
I dm'd you

Old 07-02-2012, 06:20 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,974 times
\Christine Braun for century 21 in N. Bellmore

Old 07-02-2012, 06:37 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,310 times
Why not try redfin.com? Isn't that the kind of information you'd get from a realtor anyway? If you see a home that meets your parameters, just set up an appointment to see it with the listing agent or one of the Redfin agents.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:45 AM

Thank you to everyone who responded. I appreciate it.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Pullo View Post

Thanks.
We spent two years looking for our current home.

The first time we didn't define our criteria very well which resulted in going to a lot of houses which clearly didn't meet our needs. One of the problems was that my wife and I hadn't communicated with each other very well about what we wanted and we ended-up never mutually liking or disliking any house we saw.

It was only after we had a few discussions about our expectations, and compromised with each other, were we able to clearly tell the real estate agent what our mutually agreed expectations were. Even then we decided to review and map-out each listing before going to the house. This preempted about 1/3 of the trips we would have otherwise taken during the second year.

During the second year we saw, perhaps, eight houses over a 3-month period (compared to about 25 the year before).

Old 07-03-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
We spent two years looking for our current home.

The first time we didn't define our criteria very well which resulted in going to a lot of houses which clearly didn't meet our needs. One of the problems was that my wife and I hadn't communicated with each other very well about what we wanted and we ended-up never mutually liking or disliking any house we saw.

It was only after we had a few discussions about our expectations, and compromised with each other, were we able to clearly tell the real estate agent what our mutually agreed expectations were. Even then we decided to review and map-out each listing before going to the house. This preempted about 1/3 of the trips we would have otherwise taken during the second year.

During the second year we saw, perhaps, eight houses over a 3-month period (compared to about 25 the year before).
Wow! That absolutely describes exactly what I am going through. Last year, I saw a few dozen houses, and a handful of them turned out to be alongside a busy street (like Prospect Ave in E. Meadow) and one was next door to a gas station.

But this year, I'm much more selective in the houses I select as viewables. I now map out every house before I visit it. What's funny is that there is ton of inventory out there but I guess between my wife and I, we have distinct criterias:

We would like to be within Nassau but will consider the areas in the HHH SD. We don't want to be near the water (so we want to be well North of Sunrise Hwy). In term of Nassau, we like the areas that are East of the Meadowbrook Pkwy and West of Route 231 (Deer Park Ave). Good SD is important.

Style of House:
She does not want High Ranches or non-dormered Capes.
I don't care about the style as long as it is more than 1300 square feet and the lot size is at least 50x100
Property taxes under $10K

Amenities:
We both want a finished basement
I need a garage that is bigger than 200 square feet (which means most 1 car garages are out)
We need a minimum of 3 bedrooms and 2 baths

I guess that's why we've been have a tough time finding something. BTW, we did find a house to our liking, but in the end we got overbid. Thanks for responding.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 PM

43 posts, read 157,003 times
My son Jean is a realtor with Re/Max in Massapequa. He just sold a home in East Meadow to a client of mine and they couldn't be happier. Agents normally don't go the extra mile (from past experiences dealing with agents) but he's great.

If you're still looking he can send you some listings and set you up on listingbook.com so you can custom search homes yourself.

Take Care-

Janet

Old 09-16-2012, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,226 times
Definitely try Listingbook, it is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island