Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:37 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcost1082 View Post
Yeah it is great - lots of hilly roads to the train and during the fall it is amazing - I walk around 3.5 miles every day all in so it is a great way to get much needed excercise as well.
I walk 45 mins to and from the train... then 30mins to and from work. Total of 6 miles a day. Most people think I'm completely nuts (I probably am), but i'd rather not be fat. Lost 60 pounds from just walking and I feel great! And it's free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 10:43 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
You must ride a different LIRR than I do. No commute is worth is $254 a month... especially when it's never on time. I'm late everyday for work and I already take an earlier train than I need to avoid being late. I'm going to need to start taking an earlier train now. LIRR is destroying my life!
So your train is late every day, so late, that even the taking the next earlier train still makes you late for work? I doubt it very much.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:33 AM

38 posts, read 76,737 times
Things must be different on other branches. I am on the main line -- Westbury/Carle Place/Mineola -- and if I am "late," it's of such a small amount of time that it isn't even worth mentioning. Once in a while, and I mean rarely, it gets bad enough to be frustrating. But a car would be just as bad.

I've been commuting 30+ years, and believe me, the railroad today is so much better than when I started that it's hard to believe it's the same choo-choo train. Half-hour delays were regular occurrences back then.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:51 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigmet View Post
Things must be different on other branches. I am on the main line -- Westbury/Carle Place/Mineola -- and if I am "late," it's of such a small amount of time that it isn't even worth mentioning. Once in a while, and I mean rarely, it gets bad enough to be frustrating. But a car would be just as bad.

I've been commuting 30+ years, and believe me, the railroad today is so much better than when I started that it's hard to believe it's the same choo-choo train. Half-hour delays were regular occurrences back then.
Yes, it's your line/location that gives the impression of great service. And, yes, I remember the '80s (my father took the POS LIRR back in the 70's, when people would kick out windows due to no AC during the summer), when way overcrowded trains would leave Penn St. 20 mins. late.

May I just suggest that the frequency with which trains serve your station(s) masks the abysmal performance for those of use out on Port Jeff and Ronkonkoma? The diesels are stil useless, although when the fumes stream into the cars, you can get really dizzy, compounding the effect of Happy Hour and helping to forget the commuter pain of the arguably worst (certainly the most expensive) commuter RR in the nation.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:10 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I've got you all beat. My husband worked with a guy who commuted to downtown Manhattan from Hancock, NY (for those who dont know, that is a very small town located way, way upstate - past Rockland/Westchester-a good 3 hr drive or so on the NYS Thruway). He left his house at 4:30 am to make it in by 9-10 am.

I also have a friend who commuted from East Stroudsburg, PA to her job in Times Square. She had no choice because her job in PA was eliminated and her next job was in NYC. She got fed up of the commute after about 6 months, and just moved to Queens to live with one of her grandparents about a year ago..

As for me, my commute is about 45 min in the AM and an 1 hr in the evenings. I go from south Nassau county to Rte 110 in Suffolk (I am sandwiched between the LIE and the SSP). It beats my old commute which was LIRR to midtown/Grand Central. I used to get home at 7:30 - 8 pm. Now I am home by 6:30 pm. It does matter a lot since I can squeeze in more gym time after work. That extra 1-2 hours every day really DOES matter to me!
funny I tried a similar trip using LIRR to amityville for S1 bus to NY 110 S1 is one of the few buses in suffolk that dont suck and if you catch early LIRR train you get a fast commute that is shockingly cheap look up cost of LIRR between lynbrook and amityville cheaper and faster than it looks you have to drive to lynbrook though

Old 07-30-2012, 04:14 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
So your train is late every day, so late, that even the taking the next earlier train still makes you late for work? I doubt it very much.
Not on mainline aka crappy service

Old 07-30-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Not on mainline aka crappy service
I took the LB line (from LB and IP) for 6 years to NYC and it was NEVER late every day (especially so late that I needed to take a ride two trains earlier just to be on time - just silly). You might be frustrated by every train being "local" but you are exaggerating quite a bit.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,812 times
Quote:
I took the LB line (from LB and IP) for 6 years to NYC and it was NEVER late every day (especially so late that I needed to take a ride two trains earlier just to be on time - just silly). You might be frustrated by every train being "local" but you are exaggerating quite a bit.
No, I don't think they're exaggerating, I think you were lucky the LB line was on time.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
No, I don't think they're exaggerating, I think you were lucky the LB line was on time.
I took it for 6 years, it was usually on time. I am on the Babylon line now which is almost always on time. I took the train from Hicksville in the mid 90's which was not as good as Babylon but never so late that I had to take a a train two trains earlier so that I was not late to my job.

Yes, she is exaggerating, quite a bit.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:30 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
she would complain about the Long Beach line being late all the time too not that long ago (something I also know from personal experience to be flat out false). She's clearly embellishing just a bit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island